Unable to open Desmume save file in both PKHex and Pokegen to edit save.

Hi, so I have recently started a new nuzlocke for Pokegom Heartgold using Desmume v0.9.13 and have tried just about everything to edit my current save to add rare candies to my inventory but nothing I do is working to make either PKhex or Pokegen capabale of editing my saves. I tried editing the .dsv save state which can be opened by pokegen but can not actually be reopened in Desmume. Then I tried saving in game then exproting backup memory which then leads to error messages from both Pokegen where it states that "This save state doesn't match the game/language chose" and when I load the save into PKhex 24.01.12 I just get this (see the image linked to this post). I have open the save in a hex editor and it is certainly a desmume save state and the raw save state in 512 kB. Please help me if you know what I can do at this point. image.thumb.png.4ea2d0fbf2f85fc635e00182c18547ea.png

test.sav sav6.dst

Edited by JWNimble

• JWNimble changed the title to Unable to open Desmume save file in both PKHex and Pokegen to edit save.

.dst files are "save states", not "save files". They are memory dumps that the emulator can use to store the entire state of emulation for reloading later.

Editors like PokeGen may have code written to peek into these save states and extract some data, but again, these are not save files. Save properly in-game and export your save data as you would on your console.

2 hours ago, JWNimble said:

Hi, so I have recently started a new nuzlocke for Pokegom Heartgold using Desmume v0.9.13 and have tried just about everything to edit my current save to add rare candies to my inventory but nothing I do is working to make either PKhex or Pokegen capabale of editing my saves. I tried editing the .dsv save state which can be opened by pokegen but can not actually be reopened in Desmume. Then I tried saving in game then exproting backup memory which then leads to error messages from both Pokegen where it states that "This save state doesn't match the game/language chose" and when I load the save into PKhex 24.01.12 I just get this (see the image linked to this post). I have open the save in a hex editor and it is certainly a desmume save state and the raw save state in 512 kB. Please help me if you know what I can do at this point. image.thumb.png.4ea2d0fbf2f85fc635e00182c18547ea.png

test.sav 512 kB · 5 downloads sav6.dst 2.32 MB · 4 downloads

Error corrected

Pokémon HeartGold (U).sav