Salvage corrupted ORAS save data?

jaflm2401

Recently modded a New 3ds I got last month, since I wanted to add homebrew... Didn't really tamper with my Alpha Sapphire save at any point. The only thing I did was try to back it up (using Checkpoint) so I didn't lose the save, since the cartridge seems to have problems reading correctly and it's my childhood save with most of my old Pokemon which I have a soft spot for... Tried to open the game after that to be greeted with a "The saved game data is corrupted. Refer to the elec-...". I've tried absoloutely everything I could find. I tried opening the save on Citra, gives me the same error, so at least I know that's saved correctly... Also tried opening it in Pokehex to no avail, just saying it's either from a different generation or corrupted. Tried exporting the save with JKSV, but for some reason it just creates empty folders? I've tried and for Pokemon Moon it does create the proper folders with the "main" file, but for some reason Alpha Sapphire just won't save it's file. Also tried a tool for editing save files which didn't work either. What to do here?? I'd be happy if I could just salvage the boxes and party, but I'd prefer if the whole game could be fixed. Does anyone have a clue on how to force-open the file on PKHex?? Or at the very least how to find out where the issue is?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long text.

main

• 4 months later...

Hey  @Kaphotics, how did you found the missing block for the save? I have a childhood save from my oras that is corrupted because I took the cartrige off while the game was saving ( Dumb Kid), so, now I'm trying to restore it, and I can't open it with PkHex, could you help me with it? Here's my backup from JKSV!

main

5 hours ago, Vyen21 said:

Hey  @Kaphotics, how did you found the missing block for the save? I have a childhood save from my oras that is corrupted because I took the cartrige off while the game was saving ( Dumb Kid), so, now I'm trying to restore it, and I can't open it with PkHex, could you help me with it? Here's my backup from JKSV!

main 464.92 kB · 2 downloads

Open it in a hex editor and compare it to other saves.

What you uploaded is entirely junk and nothing can be recovered.

Yeah, I compared it to others saves provided in this forum, and it was missing the lines beyond 743A0, I don't understand nothing about hex editors but I'm watching some tutorials, the thing that called my attention was that every line is written with some code, different than the other saves, where there's lots of lines with only 00 and nothing written on them, why is the archive junk? Is it really bad? 

Sorry for the long text, and thank you for dedicating your time to help me with it!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Vyen21 said:

Yeah, I compared it to others saves provided in this forum, and it was missing the lines beyond 743A0, I don't understand nothing about hex editors but I'm watching some tutorials, the thing that called my attention was that every line is written with some code, different than the other saves, where there's lots of lines with only 00 and nothing written on them, why is the archive junk? Is it really bad? 

Sorry for the long text, and thank you for dedicating your time to help me with it!

By the way, I tried copping the missing lines to the save, but it didn't opened in PkHex, (Idk if I did it correctly btw). I saw that some saves transfered by FTP got some kind of issue, and people solved it by transferring directly from the SD card, so I'm hopeful that this could be an issue.

Edited by Vyen21

7 hours ago, Vyen21 said:

why is the archive junk? Is it really bad? 

It's nonsense randomness. Open a valid save file in a hex editor and scroll through it, and do the same for yours. Even without knowing what it should be, you'll be able to tell that the data is not what it should be.

On 5/3/2024 at 3:22 AM, Kaphotics said:

It's nonsense randomness. Open a valid save file in a hex editor and scroll through it, and do the same for yours. Even without knowing what it should be, you'll be able to tell that the data is not what it should be.

Hey @Kaphotics, my oras file was corrupted yesterday as well :( I found this thread and hacked my 3ds just to dump my save in the file below.

PKHex won't open my file either, but I have tried to compare it with a normal save with a hex editor like you said earlier and it seems like it is not nonsense?

Is there any way you could take a look for me please? You would make a Pokemon and 3ds newbie very happy and much less dead inside :))

info that might help: game was played on a Japanese cart with the native English language option, game was ORuby, starter was a grovyle 

Just in case you could have a look for me in the off chance, thank you times a million

main

4 hours ago, MelvinC said:

Hey @Kaphotics, my oras file was corrupted yesterday as well :( I found this thread and hacked my 3ds just to dump my save in the file below.

PKHex won't open my file either, but I have tried to compare it with a normal save with a hex editor like you said earlier and it seems like it is not nonsense?

Is there any way you could take a look for me please? You would make a Pokemon and 3ds newbie very happy and much less dead inside :))

info that might help: game was played on a Japanese cart with the native English language option, game was ORuby, starter was a grovyle 

Just in case you could have a look for me in the off chance, thank you times a million

main 472 kB · 2 downloads

main

Same weird corruption as someone else in another thread, where 0x1F bytes of data gets misplaced in the box data somehow, causing a big misalignment. Should be 99.9999% good to go.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

main 472 kB · 1 download

Same weird corruption as someone else in another thread, where 0x1F bytes of data gets misplaced in the box data somehow, causing a big misalignment. Should be 99.9999% good to go.

@Kaphotics Oh my gosh thank you ever so much -- they are where I left off exactly! Just tested it with the 3ds and everything works as they should. I never thought I would see my save file again. thank you for developing PkHex and what you are doing, you have demonstrated love brings people together, and it is the most heartwarming thing I have experienced. Thank you thank you and thank you, Pokemon people are the best people 🥲🥰

Edited by MelvinC

@Kaphotics hey man, youve been helping people out a lot lately. The thing is my Alpha Sapphire save file got corrupted today while I was saving the game, it had all the pokemon I transferred from previous games and it means a whole lot to me. Can you please help me out here as well? I would be so very thankful man. I dont know anaything about save files manupilations, and am totally helpless. I tried opening it in Pkhex but it was for naught. My stareter is Treecko and I also have a cosplay pikachu and a Mightyena in party and have alot of mons in the PC.

main

7 hours ago, Waldtox said:

@Kaphotics hey man, youve been helping people out a lot lately. The thing is my Alpha Sapphire save file got corrupted today while I was saving the game, it had all the pokemon I transferred from previous games and it means a whole lot to me. Can you please help me out here as well? I would be so very thankful man. I dont know anaything about save files manupilations, and am totally helpless. I tried opening it in Pkhex but it was for naught. My stareter is Treecko and I also have a cosplay pikachu and a Mightyena in party and have alot of mons in the PC.

main 640 kB · 3 downloads

Invalid save file format, completely wrong size. I was able to rip out some PK6 files though (3 party, 41 from box). Should match what you mentioned (Treecko, Mightyena, and Pikachu-Rockstar are present).

extract.rar

image.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

Invalid save file format, completely wrong size. I was able to rip out some PK6 files though (3 party, 41 from box). Should match what you mentioned (Treecko, Mightyena, and Pikachu-Rockstar are present).

extract.rar 9.11 kB · 4 downloads

image.png

Jazakallah brother.

You are such a nice person. I just actually restored my save file using pksm. Idk how it worked but pksm was able to load the save file and there was an icon in the bottom left corner of the bottom screen(just opposite to save) and when I touched it, it loaded the game from the last time I saved the game. And then the game started working normally afterwards. Hope this would help anyone else experience this very issue. Pksm turned out to be a life saver. But this doesn't deny the fact that what you did was beyond commendable. Hope I could repay you with something. Anyway, keep up the good work.

TL;DR: Thanks a lot @Kaphotics. There's another way to restore your save, which is using Pksm.