Lack of Gen 7 Legendary QR codes?

Hey, so I've been working on a project where I've been trying to register every possible shiny entry into Pokemon Home, or at least as many as possible. A big part of that Project involved using the QR Code gallery to scan shinies, as those get saved into Pokemon Bank, which then get sent to Pokemon Home whenever you do a transfer. What I was curious about is if there was a particular reason that the Pokemon near the end of the dex don't have QRs? Were they just not able to be read by the game or was there some sort of problem with making them compared to everything else, I find it a tad strange that Type Null and Silvally have them but not the rest of the legendaries. It would make Cosmog, Cosmoem, Magearna, Pokeball Magearna, and Marshadow all legal to register shiny in Pokemon Home if it is possible to make QRs for them (or at least, make them still possible, I'm aware Eternal Floette used to register a bunch of shit, a bunch of capped Pikachu that are impossible got registered for me due to scanning it in Ultra Sun, which while I missed Kanto Cap's shiny, considering their QRs just give regular Pikachu, I consider it some lucky bonuses), so I guess this is also partially a question on whether or not its legal to have those Pokemon registered Shiny.

Edit: For context, the page that is being discussed is linked here.

59 minutes ago, SaltedNeos said:

a question on whether or not its legal to have those Pokemon registered Shiny.

Legitimately, you can only get QR codes from a Pokédex of someone that owns said shiny.
Since the given mon is shiny locked, no one can legitimately have the QR code, thus a shiny dex entry would be illegal.

Ninty/GF probably don't care. Probably.
Tho it isn't new for them to restrict people's access due to illegitimate dex entries; back in Gen 4, before the Arceus event, anyone with Arceus dex entry could not get onto the GTS.

What I was curious about is if there was a particular reason that the Pokemon near the end of the dex don't have QRs

The game does not generate QR codes for certain UB/legendaries, as you've explained. As for why the game can't be bypassed to generate them, I simply don't know.

Were they just not able to be read by the game

The game reads Gen 7 UB/legendary QRs just fine. If you could get your game to run in JP 3DS, you'll see that it can scan these:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/gallery/album/809-special-pokémon-jp-consoles-only/

or was there some sort of problem with making them

Not sure you'll ever hear a positive response relating to this. As far as I know, only one guy made it, and no one else seemed to have cracked the code (publicly), and I've not heard anything about these. Also, interest has died down so I'm unsure we'll hear anything about this :(

Also I think converting the QR to hex then back won't work. I believe it needs some kind of decryption and encryption so can't make them via simple hex editing.

Edit: Info I could find related to signing the QR.

7 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Edit: For context, the page that is being discussed is linked here.

Legitimately, you can only get QR codes from a Pokédex of someone that owns said shiny.
Since the given mon is shiny locked, no one can legitimately have the QR code, thus a shiny dex entry would be illegal.

Ninty/GF probably don't care. Probably.
Tho it isn't new for them to restrict people's access due to illegitimate dex entries; back in Gen 4, before the Arceus event, anyone with Arceus dex entry could not get onto the GTS.

The game does not generate QR codes for certain UB/legendaries, as you've explained. As for why the game can't be bypassed to generate them, I simply don't know.

The game reads Gen 7 UB/legendary QRs just fine. If you could get your game to run in JP 3DS, you'll see that it can scan these:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/gallery/album/809-special-pokémon-jp-consoles-only/

Not sure you'll ever hear a positive response relating to this. As far as I know, only one guy made it, and no one else seemed to have cracked the code (publicly), and I've not heard anything about these. Also, interest has died down so I'm unsure we'll hear anything about this :(

Also I think converting the QR to hex then back won't work. I believe it needs some kind of decryption and encryption so can't make them via simple hex editing.

Adding more illegitimate entries at this point won't do me much considering the shiny capped Pikachus I ended up getting just by using Homes transfer from Bank feature, as I had this happen accidentally, I've even contacted Home support at some point and they basically just told me that yeah they're there, they can't remove them but it should be fine. Though yeah I suppose they're not legitimate in that sense, I guess I more so meant possible to get without modding your own game.

I was doing a lot of my own looking into prior to asking (which in hindsight, asking first probably would've made more sense) so I was aware of the Ga-Ole QRs, unfortunately none of those actually help in my situation seeing as I specifically need the shiny entries, though I was assuming there was some other exception going on with those, seeing as they are region locked.

I've tried convert the same code to text and back and have also realized that even if I knew what to put on the QR that I would be incapable of actually addressing it on my own unfortunately.

Though yeah, this was about what I was expecting to hear unfortunately, unless the dude himself comments on it out of nowhere. This is a pretty niche situation for an even more niche feature of the gen 7 games. Thanks for your answer though, I appreciate your time!

14 minutes ago, SaltedNeos said:

as I specifically need the shiny entries

yeah that's the issue right there.
- even when illegitimately obtained, those dex entries won't show the QR code
- hacked variant of such QR codes were never made
- as they weren't intended to be revealed, such shiny Ga-Ole QR doesn't exist.

There pretty much isn't any options at the moment..

though I was assuming there was some other exception going on with those, seeing as they are region locked.

don't know what you meant be 'exception', but there are ways around the region locking without hacking.
Simply get someone with a JP 3DS to scan them, then transfer from your Bank to your HOME. You can do coded transfers from Bank to HOME, not just direct Nintendo account transfers.

Also also, you can hack any 3DS. After you hack it (effectively jailbreak/install CFW), you can region change your device.

Though yeah, this was about what I was expecting to hear unfortunately, unless the dude himself comments on it out of nowhere. This is a pretty niche situation for an even more niche feature of the gen 7 games. Thanks for your answer though, I appreciate your time!

Well he's onto bigger things now, so I doubt he's even aware that people are curious. I could try asking him, but I'm not sure if he'll even respond frankly ><

No worries!

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

yeah that's the issue right there.
- even when illegitimately obtained, those dex entries won't show the QR code
- hacked variant of such QR codes were never made
- as they weren't intended to be revealed, such shiny Ga-Ole QR doesn't exist.

don't know what you meant be 'exception', but there are ways around the region locking without hacking.
Simply get someone with a JP 3DS to scan them, then transfer from your Bank to your HOME. You can do coded transfers from Bank to HOME, not just direct Nintendo account transfers.

Also also, you can hack any 3DS. After you hack it (effectively jailbreak/install CFW), you can region change your device.

Well he's onto bigger things now, so I doubt he's even aware that people are curious. I could try asking him, but I'm not sure if he'll even respond frankly ><

No worries!

I more so meant by exception I figured something else was going on with Ga Ole QRs which let them give the the entries that never got hacked QRs dex entries made, though I guess in hindsight that doesn't really make much sense lol. I was aware I could region change for the Ga Ole QRs though.

I'd appreciate you asking him, but understand if he's too busy to to provide an answer, this is pretty niche compared to the other things the guy's been up to since.

• Like 1