I Need Help With PKHeX for Macbook Pro M1

kinggkidd

7 minutes ago, dtingley11222 said:

Currently is working for me.

wine64 PKHeX.exe
wine64 windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe

I've just attempted this by downloading wine-stable and then trying to run the runtime installer, but nothing happens. I get a lot of text with warnings, which seems to be normal, and then nothing happens and nothing is running. Trying to run PKHeX results in an even longer error screen ending with a complain that the .NET application failed. What do you see when you run these things? Is this with a fresh install of wine-stable, or did you make configuration changes to get this to work?

55 minutes ago, dtingley11222 said:

Currently is working for me.

wine64 PKHeX.exe
wine64 windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe

So if I just type those commands it says that the file is not found. If I type wine64 path/to/windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe then my Mac says that it cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. Does that have to do with disabling SIP? (Thank you so much for your help btw!)

18 minutes ago, bluefoxlad said:

So if I just type those commands it says that the file is not found. If I type wine64 path/to/windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe then my Mac says that it cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. Does that have to do with disabling SIP? (Thank you so much for your help btw!)

I can help with that one - you need to use "wine64 /path/to/windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe" to do it properly just as you said. As far as the verification, you need to find the file itself in the file browser and Right Click > Open With > wine-stable and when the popup shows up hit "Open". (If that option isn't there, hit cancel a few times and try it again.)

11 minutes ago, CoolEggs said:

I can help with that one - you need to use "wine64 /path/to/windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe" to do it properly just as you said. As far as the verification, you need to find the file itself in the file browser and Right Click > Open With > wine-stable and when the popup shows up hit "Open". (If that option isn't there, hit cancel a few times and try it again.)

Tried it. It seems to want to open the program but then it crashes. The Wine Stable logo appears on the dock, then the app closes and disappears.

53 minutes ago, bluefoxlad said:

Tried it. It seems to want to open the program but then it crashes. The Wine Stable logo appears on the dock, then the app closes and disappears.

Yup - unfortunately now you're at the point where I'm stuck. This process works in "wine-crossover" as I mentioned in an earlier post (the .NET installer loads and everything!) but then nothing actually operates properly. The reason wine-crossover doesn't work may be because it's not using Wine 8.0 (like wine-stable) which can run .NET 7, so we're sort of stuck unless we can get either to work.

43 minutes ago, CoolEggs said:

Yup - unfortunately now you're at the point where I'm stuck. This process works in "wine-crossover" as I mentioned in an earlier post (the .NET installer loads and everything!) but then nothing actually operates properly. The reason wine-crossover doesn't work may be because it's not using Wine 8.0 (like wine-stable) which can run .NET 7, so we're sort of stuck unless we can get either to work.

Damn. Thanks for all your help tho! I thought it was possible since dtingley11222 just said that he's got it and it's currently working for him.

13 hours ago, CoolEggs said:

I've just attempted this by downloading wine-stable and then trying to run the runtime installer, but nothing happens. I get a lot of text with warnings, which seems to be normal, and then nothing happens and nothing is running. Trying to run PKHeX results in an even longer error screen ending with a complain that the .NET application failed. What do you see when you run these things? Is this with a fresh install of wine-stable, or did you make configuration changes to get this to work?

On my m1 machine everything is broken. We simply have to wait until wine fixes these issues. It's only a matter of time. 

12 hours ago, bluefoxlad said:

If you right click + open you'll bypass the warning

On 9/15/2023 at 9:11 AM, bluefoxlad said:

Damn :/ Well, guess we'll have to wait it out then like you said; but thanks for everything tho!

I mean you can still use the old builds for everything up to gen 6 with limited gen 8 support (have to be careful about editing ivs with max raids (max lair, dens, etc), like don't edit them at all.)

Edited by dtingley11222

On 9/17/2023 at 10:35 PM, dtingley11222 said:

I mean you can still use the old builds for everything up to gen 6 with limited gen 8 support (have to be careful about editing ivs with max raids (max lair, dens, etc), like don't edit them at all.)

Ah - I had not realized there was a github repo for the project! I see that there is a version (22.12.18) that uses .NET 4.6, which is definitely usable with wine! https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX/releases/tag/22.12.18 I've tried this and it works perfectly! I had to compile the project on a Windows machine, but now the executable can be run with wine-stable. These instructions will be for macOS.

1. Open the Terminal application. Type "brew install wine-stable". (If you do not have homebrew, check out how to do it here! https://docs.brew.sh/Installation)

2. Download the .EXE file for PKHeX 22.12.18 here (I've attached it to this post). If that makes you nervous, download Visual Studio Code on any Windows machine and follow these instructions. Make sure you're building a "Release" version and you're building the 22.12.18 release I linked above!

3. Go into your Finder, find the PKHeX.exe and Right Click -> Open With -> Wine Stable! It should work perfectly now.

(Note that this is an older version of PKHeX, so it's missing the newer updates and additions to the app.)

PKHeX.exe

Edited by CoolEggs
Clarified which release to build in step 2.
  • Thanks 1

So, thank you for the assistance. I've got homebrew installed, and PKHeX gives me the missing .NET as predicted. When i try to install using wine64, I get the error message "Bad EXE format for Z:\Users\[name]\[folder]\windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe." Not sure what's going on here. I'm running it on an Intel Mac, Ventura 13.4.

5 hours ago, Burido-Chama said:

So, thank you for the assistance. I've got homebrew installed, and PKHeX gives me the missing .NET as predicted. When i try to install using wine64, I get the error message "Bad EXE format for Z:\Users\[name]\[folder]\windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.11-win-x64.exe." Not sure what's going on here. I'm running it on an Intel Mac, Ventura 13.4.

I haven’t gotten that error before, but we’ve all been having trouble running that installer or using .NET 7 in some fashion. That’s why in my steps I built a release of PKHeX that used .NET 4.6, so you don’t need to run that installer. It seemed that my wine environment already had that runtime installed, so all I had to do was run PKHeX.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 6:55 PM, CoolEggs said:

Ah - I had not realized there was a github repo for the project! I see that there is a version (22.12.18) that uses .NET 4.6, which is definitely usable with wine! https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX/releases/tag/22.12.18 I've tried this and it works perfectly! I had to compile the project on a Windows machine, but now the executable can be run with wine-stable. These instructions will be for macOS.

1. Open the Terminal application. Type "brew install wine-stable". (If you do not have homebrew, check out how to do it here! https://docs.brew.sh/Installation)

2. Download the .EXE file for PKHeX 22.12.18 here (I've attached it to this post). If that makes you nervous, download Visual Studio Code on any Windows machine and follow these instructions. Make sure you're building a "Release" version and you're building the 22.12.18 release I linked above!

3. Go into your Finder, find the PKHeX.exe and Right Click -> Open With -> Wine Stable! It should work perfectly now.

(Note that this is an older version of PKHeX, so it's missing the newer updates and additions to the app.)

PKHeX.exe 17.97 MB · 3 downloads

Yes, this is a much older version of pkhex, therefore you will not be able to use it for gen 9 (unless you never updated lol) or you cannot trust max raid/lair legality in generation 8.

On 9/19/2023 at 4:27 AM, CoolEggs said:

I haven’t gotten that error before, but we’ve all been having trouble running that installer or using .NET 7 in some fashion. That’s why in my steps I built a release of PKHeX that used .NET 4.6, so you don’t need to run that installer. It seemed that my wine environment already had that runtime installed, so all I had to do was run PKHeX.

I already built a pkhex using wineskin, so people only have to download PKHeX from the link I provided. 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 9:55 PM, CoolEggs said:

PKHeX.exe 17.97 MB · 23 downloads

Thank you! This finally worked for me. Intel mac on ventura

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 8:55 PM, CoolEggs said:

PKHeX.exe 17.97 MB · 41 downloads

Stumbled across this thread after attempting literally every other method and trying to do this on my own, this is the only thing that worked for me on my Intel MBP as of rn. Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Hello! I am back with another wrapper of PKHeX. This one doesn't work with M series macs, but it is a working 64 bit intel app. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b1TSHorbOZT0Zpg8c_vkxfjfGtpazvn4/view?usp=sharing md5: af3c7859f86aecf453aa5f344614dc0a

For M series users, I would recommend checking out UTM: https://mac.getutm.app/

UTM is an optimized hypervisor for mac, and it is REALLY fast if you virtualize windows. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, dtingley11222 said:

Hello! I am back with another wrapper of PKHeX. This one doesn't work with M series macs, but it is a working 64 bit intel app. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b1TSHorbOZT0Zpg8c_vkxfjfGtpazvn4/view?usp=sharing md5: af3c7859f86aecf453aa5f344614dc0a

For M series users, I would recommend checking out UTM: https://mac.getutm.app/

UTM is an optimized hypervisor for mac, and it is REALLY fast if you virtualize windows. 

Any chance for another updated one using .Net 8 required for the latest PKHeX version?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like wine-stable just updated to version 9.0 - this seems to run the newest version of PKHeX perfectly! The days of older versions/wrappers are over haha

Edit: Well.. it seems to crash every time I hit "File", so maybe we continue with these other fixes for now..

Edit 2: As Hau pointed out in a later post, if you set your windows version to Windows 7.0 in `winecfg`, then running the newest PKHeX works perfectly with wine-9.0!

Edited by CoolEggs