Clarification about editing Sw/Sh TID/SID?

elSteeler

Hey all, appreciate all the info out there. I was just looking for clarification on something. I know that editing a SwSh save's trainer info that has connected online will immediately flag the save and likely get you banned. My question is regarding the edit of a brand new save that has never connected online. Is that still detectable by the game and likely to ban the account? I have seen allusions to a separate value in the game identifying "the individual" so I just wanted clarification on that part. I do have a spare Switch with CFW that I can use if necessary, but would prefer to keep both Switches online for future endeavors and whatnot.

2 hours ago, elSteeler said:

Hey all, appreciate all the info out there. I was just looking for clarification on something. I know that editing a SwSh save's trainer info that has connected online will immediately flag the save and likely get you banned. My question is regarding the edit of a brand new save that has never connected online. Is that still detectable by the game and likely to ban the account? I have seen allusions to a separate value in the game identifying "the individual" so I just wanted clarification on that part. I do have a spare Switch with CFW that I can use if necessary, but would prefer to keep both Switches online for future endeavors and whatnot.

Yes, there’s an alternate value in the save that gets given by the the server when that save first goes online.

Also, while not observed currently, in previous gens they’ve softbanned saves that have had their unique details changed (such as OT TID SID etc), and that “individual save” is tracked using that unique value, hence why it can tell “such a change occurred”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Yes, there’s an alternate value in the save that gets given by the the server when that save first goes online.

Also, while not observed currently, in previous gens they’ve softbanned saves that have had their unique details changed (such as OT TID SID etc), and that “individual save” is tracked using that unique value, hence why it can tell “such a change occurred”.

I see, great info! Just curious, those previous gens were likely gens 6 and 7? Do you happen to know around when those softbans occurred and what those softbans entailed? Thank you for all your help!

1 hour ago, elSteeler said:

I see, great info! Just curious, those previous gens were likely gens 6 and 7? Do you happen to know around when those softbans occurred and what those softbans entailed? Thank you for all your help!

Gen 7. I personally got a save that was game sync'd (which uses the value they are also assigning even to recent saves, despite no game sync feature in later games) softbanned. I accidentally had a region changing cheat on when going online, without realizing. They captured the info of the save, and the system automatically detected something that obviously shouldn't happen. (having 2 different regions between saves).

I can't give you a range of when it happened, simply because it's likely automatic detection that was working all year round once it had been implemented. Could no longer use that save for game sync purposes, so I had to wipe the value and get a new one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Gen 7. I personally got a save that was game sync'd (which uses the value they are also assigning even to recent saves, despite no game sync feature in later games) softbanned. I accidentally had a region changing cheat on when going online, without realizing. They captured the info of the save, and the system automatically detected something that obviously shouldn't happen. (having 2 different regions between saves).

I can't give you a range of when it happened, simply because it's likely automatic detection that was working all year round once it had been implemented. Could no longer use that save for game sync purposes, so I had to wipe the value and get a new one.

Oh sure! I'd forgotten all about Game Sync, crazy. Since that's down, I presume unnatural edits in Gen 7 are safe nowadays, given that you can't even connect to the online systems that triggered bans in the first place. Makes total sense that Gen 8 still has that value as well and that's what trips up accounts now. Honestly such a drag, was planning on revisiting all the games and keeping the OT consistent throughout but the only option here seems to be to play the game entirely offline and risk getting my whole Switch banned with one online slip-up. Or just wait til online support goes down years from now!