Pokémon Altered Platinum - Sinnohan Forms, Increased Difficulty, and more!

Lithium

I quit shortly after beating maylene in veilstone

things I liked:

• interesting new typings and movesets overall, especially for regional forms
  • sinnohan togepi and mareep sprites 👌 though both kinda felt more fitting for unova and alola, respectively
  • excellent added lore which improves on the vanilla text by a lot. the improved writing was the highlight of the romhack for me.
  • really like no EVs
  • evolutions like happiness, stones, item-based are all much more reasonable compared to vanilla
  • nice QoL features including: (virtually) unlimited TMs
  • bike at start
  • anti-stall (e.g. 2pp iron defence)
  • anti-sweep (e.g. 1pp dragon dance)

things I disliked:

• no substantial anti-grind outside of the chansey trainer
  • IVs/natures still matter
  • a few other users have already mentioned this, but most battles still feel like OHKO or get OHKO'd unless the other trainer stalls; was punished often and heavily for defensive switch-ins on my blind playthrough
  • lack of included speedup patch available to other platinum hacks like renegade and redux (don't know if it even works for this; I didn't think of trying this sooner)
  • anti-stall and anti-sweep hurts the player too; felt like these moves and battles in general were balanced around a portable pokecenter item like pokevial for pp recovery and even healing from fainted
  • basically have to rely on documentation if not over-leveling significantly and want to avoid fainting/wipes
  • subjective, but most regional form sprites (apart from togepi and mareep) looked pretty bad; especially flames and clouds which don't match vanilla sprites
  • would've liked some more QoL like lower encounter rates + higher wild battle exp or trainer battle exp
  • meme references (e.g. a deep rock galactic reference somewhere)
Edited by Baltoy31
made pros and cons more subjective

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for sinnohan trapinch and i tried looking through the forums and asked around all over reddit. I just cant seem to find it anywhere. would you mind me asking for a link to the documents with pokemon locations at the very least? im very sorry i just really wanna use that amazing looking flygon.

• 2 weeks later...