Pokémon Altered Platinum - Sinnohan Forms, Increased Difficulty, and more!

Lithium

Yet another update today- I got to Fantina in my playtest and she stomped me so hard, so many times, that I figured she had to be toned down at least a bit.

So her levels were reduced by 1(and Barry's Hearthome team by 2, so he falls closer in line with her), and some of her Pokemon's most unfair moves were removed.

This hack is supposed to be hard, but it's also supposed to have a difficulty curve, not a difficulty mountain range.

I also fixed a small bug with Miror B's dialogue, where his greeting would advance without player input.
Edit- Another tiny little tweak. I think Gardenia's team was a fair bit too much, so I replaced her Torkoal's Flame Wheel with Fire Spin. Not really enough for a whole new version.

Edited by Lithium
i cant seem to let the game be can i

I apologize if you'd rather me report these sort of bugs elsewhere! So far, the only other minor bugs I've run into have been about certain new moves not hitting both targets in double battles (Gem Flash and Parabolic Charge, from my current experience).

39 minutes ago, DGAely said:

I apologize if you'd rather me report these sort of bugs elsewhere! So far, the only other minor bugs I've run into have been about certain new moves not hitting both targets in double battles (Gem Flash and Parabolic Charge, from my current experience).

It's fine, this is the place to go for reporting bugs.

I went through the modified moves and corrected their spread behavior in b1.2.6. It looks like Hurricane was also set to hit only one target.

Released the update!
Edit- It was because my move editor has target settings that look very similar- "Opponent's side of field", and "both opponents", as well as "entire field" and "both opponents and ally".

"Both opponents" and "Both opponents and ally" are the ones I need to use for damaging moves, but some of these moves were set to the other target options, which made them behave strangely.

Edited by Lithium

Updated to b1.2.7, which tweaks Fantina and Barry's Hearthome battle further. Rather than messing with the level curve from Renegade Platinum, I've reverted both their teams to vanilla levels and tweaked their moves/items instead. I think Fantina's team is in a good spot now.

I also tweaked the Saturn/Backlot battle. I don't know why I gave Saturn more than 3 pokemon, seeing as him combined with Backlot makes a 6-Pokemon boss team.

So I restored their levels too, and tweaked their moves/items.

Released update b1.2.9. I got to Maylene in my playtest, so she's been tweaked a bit- her ridiculous Typhlosion has been toned down a fair bit.

I've also gone through and removed all the items used by enemy Trainers. It's just frustrating to nearly win, only to be shut down because your opponent gets access to four Full Restores for some reason.

I just put out update b1.3.0, which standardizes most 90%-95% accuracy moves, including ones from newer generations and entirely new moves, to 100% accuracy.

These moves sit at the very edge of a strange risk-reward design philosophy, where the risk is so minor that the only time they'll ever seem to miss is when you absolutely need them to hit.

Considering most of them are weaker, relatively exclusive, have other downsides (Overheat/Leaf Storm/Draco Meteor), or are only powerful with Technician, I think they can get away with having 100% accuracy.

Plus, there were a few here that were among only a few other options for STAB in that class (eg. Air Slash for special Flying type moves, or Icicle Crash for physical Ice type moves).

Having your only good option be 90%-95% accurate isn't very fun.

Edited by Lithium

Updated to b1.3.2, which changes text and tweaks Sinnohan Roserade's level-up moves a bit.

Do you think I'm updating too often? I'm not really sure how to do this. Maybe I should wait for a while longer and gather up a bunch of changes to put into each update instead.

I think, starting now, I'm going to keep the updates limited to one, maybe two, per day- unless I discover a major bug that needs patching ASAP.

Edited by Lithium

In light of some other feedback, I've decided to slow the updates significantly anyway, and wait until I've got a substantial list of changes to push to an update.

Released today's update, b1.3.3, which tweaks text, PP Max/PP Up prices, and encounter rates- as well as sliiiiiiiiiightly nerfing Wake's Ludicolo.

Generally, the encounter tables are now more biased in favor of Sinnohan Forms early on, so there's usually a place with at least a 20% chance of encountering them.

3 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

Quick question. What pokemon have custom shinies?

Here's a list, I'm not sure if the Surskit line has custom shinies or not, but this should be complete otherwise.

Spoiler

Squirtle line
Pidgey line
Rattata line
Spearow line
Nidoqueen
Clefairy line
Jigglypuff line
Zubat line
Diglett line
Abra line
Machop line
Geodude line
Magnemite line
Doduo line
Grimer line
Gastly line
Onix line
Krabby line
Exeggcute line
Cubone line
Tyrogue line
Staryu line
Electabuzz line
Pinsir
Tauros
Lapras
Jolteon
Flareon
Kabutops
Snorlax
Cyndaquil line
Totodile line
Ledyba line
Espeon
Murkrow line
Misdreavus line
Heracross
Sneasel line
Teddiursa line
Octillery
Mantine line
Skarmory
Houndour line
Treecko line
Blaziken
Mudkip line
Beautifly
Dustox
Lotad line
Taillow line
Wingull line
Ralts line
Milotic
Kecleon
Salamence
Turtwig line
Chimchar line
Piplup line
Starly line
Buizel line
Drifloon line
Garchomp
Riolu line
Croagunk line
Leafeon
Glaceon
Mamoswine
Dusknoir
Froslass

Beta 1.4.0 was released! This marks the first version which I've actually playtested and tweaked right up to the credits. The postgame has been tested for bugs, courtesy of a postgame save from Dray, but it hasn't been balance-checked yet.
This version contains a TON of tweaks based on all that I've learned, feedback, and my own testing. It's got type changes for Sinnohan Togekiss and Torterra, a Lumineon nerf(it destroyed the game with Tail Glow in rain), and so on.
See the changelog on the OP for full details!

Hello,

I have been combing through the documentation for this project, and I have to say that I'm quite excited with a lot of the changes. I think it's great that you are trying to bring underused Poke's back into the spotlight with QOL changes.

That being said, are you open to suggestions? If so, what are the possibilities of making some existing Pokemon into pseudo-legendaries? I understand there might be concerns of power creep, but if enemy trainers have access to these Pokemon as well, then I think that would be quite fun.

All in all, I've downloaded the latest update and will spend my whole weekend building a team.

Regards,

J

1 hour ago, dvarem said:

Hello,

I have been combing through the documentation for this project, and I have to say that I'm quite excited with a lot of the changes. I think it's great that you are trying to bring underused Poke's back into the spotlight with QOL changes.

That being said, are you open to suggestions? If so, what are the possibilities of making some existing Pokemon into pseudo-legendaries? I understand there might be concerns of power creep, but if enemy trainers have access to these Pokemon as well, then I think that would be quite fun.

All in all, I've downloaded the latest update and will spend my whole weekend building a team.

Regards,

J

I don't think I'll need to do this, but I'm technically not opposed to the idea.

If you have any specific ideas for fun buffs though, let me know! What I can do is limited, since this is still mostly restricted to vanilla Gen 4.

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

I don't think I'll need to do this, but I'm technically not opposed to the idea.

If you have any specific ideas for fun buffs though, let me know! What I can do is limited, since this is still mostly restricted to vanilla Gen 4.

Honestly I just want my boi Kingdra to have 600 BST since it's established in the lore that Kingdra's and Dragonite's have an inherent rivalry. 

Other than that, maybe Staraptor could be Fighting/Flying or Magmortar could be Fire/Ground; buffs in that vein that would spice things up. 

Other than that, keep it up! I'm really enjoying your work so far.

6 minutes ago, dvarem said:

Honestly I just want my boi Kingdra to have 600 BST since it's established in the lore that Kingdra's and Dragonite's have an inherent rivalry. 

Other than that, maybe Staraptor could be Fighting/Flying or Magmortar could be Fire/Ground; buffs in that vein that would spice things up. 

Other than that, keep it up! I'm really enjoying your work so far.

I'll consider making Kingdra a pseudo for later, but right now I think I need a break to avoid getting burned out. I've done a ton of work on the hack recently!

I'm definitely putting that on the list, though. Kingdra being Dragonite's rival makes even more sense here since both are Dragon/Water type in this hack.

11 minutes ago, Lithium said:

I'll consider making Kingdra a pseudo for later, but right now I think I need a break to avoid getting burned out. I've done a ton of work on the hack recently!

I'm definitely putting that on the list, though. Kingdra being Dragonite's rival makes even more sense here since both are Dragon/Water type in this hack.

I'm willing to pledge to the cause (buy you a six pack of the finest ale) if you happen to find time for a lightning edit 😛

18 minutes ago, dvarem said:

I'm willing to pledge to the cause (buy you a six pack of the finest ale) if you happen to find time for a lightning edit 😛

Well, I don't really want to rock the boat now, seeing as I'll be too busy shortly to test anything anyway. Why not give Kingdra a try as it is, and see if you like it?