Seeking help to apply Ribbons

Malhakai

Hi fellow players,

I have arrived here seeking assistance. 

I'm 36 and grew up playing each of the pokemon generation games, and recall spending a great deal of time collecting ribbons on my Gengar (far too much time now that I recall). Sadly, all of effort was lost and am trying to get back to where I was before. I no longer have a gamecube, gale of darkness, half of my cartridges etc. So obtaining the ribbons naturally is really out of the question.

I would love to have my gengar edited to once again have all of his ribbons. I am unfamiliar with editing/modding, however happy to learn or pay for a service. I have quite a few questions, as this is all new to me.

1) What generation game does gengar have to be in, in order to be edited? I recall ribbons started in gen 3. Does he need to be in each gen to obtain the specific ribbons of that gen, then move to a new gen a edit again etc?

2) Or can I send a gengar from virtual console red to bank, then home and have it edited then with the previous generation ribbons?

3) is there a difference between cartridge red gengar, and virtual console red gengar? 

4) I have a gengar in shield from virtual console red. Can he be edited to have all ribbons legally obtained from previous gen games?

Apologies for asking simple questions, and being unfamiliar with the process. Thank-you in advance for any assistance.

13 hours ago, Malhakai said:

Hi fellow players,

I have arrived here seeking assistance. 

I'm 36 and grew up playing each of the pokemon generation games, and recall spending a great deal of time collecting ribbons on my Gengar (far too much time now that I recall). Sadly, all of effort was lost and am trying to get back to where I was before. I no longer have a gamecube, gale of darkness, half of my cartridges etc. So obtaining the ribbons naturally is really out of the question.

I would love to have my gengar edited to once again have all of his ribbons. I am unfamiliar with editing/modding, however happy to learn or pay for a service. I have quite a few questions, as this is all new to me.

1) What generation game does gengar have to be in, in order to be edited? I recall ribbons started in gen 3. Does he need to be in each gen to obtain the specific ribbons of that gen, then move to a new gen a edit again etc?

2) Or can I send a gengar from virtual console red to bank, then home and have it edited then with the previous generation ribbons?

3) is there a difference between cartridge red gengar, and virtual console red gengar? 

4) I have a gengar in shield from virtual console red. Can he be edited to have all ribbons legally obtained from previous gen games?

Apologies for asking simple questions, and being unfamiliar with the process. Thank-you in advance for any assistance.

To answer your questions:

1) It really doesn't matter what generation of games the Gengar is sent to since PKHeX can add any ribbons that are available in that generation and from previous generations. However, it matters what game and generation the Pokémon is from. For example a Pokémon from gen 4 can not have gen 3 ribbons since any Pokémon from gen 4 games can not go to gen 3 games. Another example a Pokémon from Emerald can't have all ribbons from that gen since it didn't come from XD or Colosseum.

2) Yes, you can do that, but it will be illegal. Virtual console Pokémon can only have ribbons from SM, USUM, and SwSh at this point.

3) Technically no, but virtual console version is the only one that can legally go to Bank. Cartridge version of Red can only connect with gen 1 and 2, versus virtual console version of Red can connect with Bank to go to gen 7 and later gens.

4) Read my answer to question 2.

4 hours ago, Poke J said:

To answer your questions:

1) It really doesn't matter what generation of games the Gengar is sent to since PKHeX can add any ribbons that are available in that generation and from previous generations. However, it matters what game and generation the Pokémon is from. For example a Pokémon from gen 4 can not have gen 3 ribbons since any Pokémon from gen 4 games can not go to gen 3 games. Another example a Pokémon from Emerald can't have all ribbons from that gen since it didn't come from XD or Colosseum.

2) Yes, you can do that, but it will be illegal. Virtual console Pokémon can only have ribbons from SM, USUM, and SwSh at this point.

3) Technically no, but virtual console version is the only one that can legally go to Bank. Cartridge version of Red can only connect with gen 1 and 2, versus virtual console version of Red can connect with Bank to go to gen 7 and later gens.

4) Read my answer to question 2.

Thank-you very much for your reply! Very helpful.

It seems my current limitation is that my gengar is showing the gameboy icon, showing it is from a VC game. Can that be removed? (I believe that would then look like how my lost gengar would have looked, with no icon). Without the VC icon, it would then be legal to have previous generation ribbons, right?

25 minutes ago, Malhakai said:

Thank-you very much for your reply! Very helpful.

It seems my current limitation is that my gengar is showing the gameboy icon, showing it is from a VC game. Can that be removed? (I believe that would then look like how my lost gengar would have looked, with no icon). Without the VC icon, it would then be legal to have previous generation ribbons, right?

That is possible and can be done with by changing what game it is from; however, I wouldn't recommend that since depending what generation you pick Pokémon can't have any random combination of PID, nature, gender, ability, and IVs and by time those values are less coupled you have already missed out on a lot of ribbons. Since you said your last Gengar didn't have a game icon and could have ribbons leads me to believe your Gengar originated from a gen 3, 4 or 5 game. I suggest getting a Gengar from a gen 3 game base your base since then it can get almost all of the ribbons.

1 hour ago, Poke J said:

That is possible and can be done with by changing what game it is from; however, I wouldn't recommend that since depending what generation you pick Pokémon can't have any random combination of PID, nature, gender, ability, and IVs and by time those values are less coupled you have already missed out on a lot of ribbons. Since you said your last Gengar didn't have a game icon and could have ribbons leads me to believe your Gengar originated from a gen 3, 4 or 5 game. I suggest getting a Gengar from a gen 3 game base your base since then it can get almost all of the ribbons.

Thank-you again for your reply 🙂

I just wish to confirm a detail please, I came across a guide for transferring a pokemon from gen 1 to gen 8, and it explains that apparently a VC gen 1 pokemon can be transferred to a cartridge gen 2 game via the Time Capsule. If this is true, then wouldn't that pokemon still retain the gameboy icon on their profile when taken to gen 8? If so, would adding ribbons to my current gengar in shield still be considered an illegal action?

Pokémon Transfer Guide - Smogon University

1 minute ago, Malhakai said:

Thank-you again for your reply 🙂

I just wish to confirm a detail please, I came across a guide for transferring a pokemon from gen 1 to gen 8, and it explains that apparently a VC gen 1 pokemon can be transferred to a cartridge gen 2 game via the Time Capsule. If this is true, then wouldn't that pokemon still retain the gameboy icon on their profile when taken to gen 8? If so, would adding ribbons to my current gengar in shield still be considered an illegal action?

Pokémon Transfer Guide - Smogon University

Yes, if a Pokémon from a gen 1 virtual console game to a gen 2 virtual console game will still have the Game Boy icon since both of those gens use that symbol. The only visbale difference would be in the summary would say the Pokémon was from Jhoto instead of Kanto. Yes, adding ribbons to your Gengar that weren't in SM, USUM, and SwSh will make it illegal. As I stated when answering the second question this is because virtual console games can only connect with them selves and Bank.

5 minutes ago, Poke J said:

Yes, if a Pokémon from a gen 1 virtual console game to a gen 2 virtual console game will still have the Game Boy icon since both of those gens use that symbol. The only visbale difference would be in the summary would say the Pokémon was from Jhoto instead of Kanto. Yes, adding ribbons to your Gengar that weren't in SM, USUM, and SwSh will make it illegal. As I stated when answering the second question this is because virtual console games can only connect with them selves and Bank.

That is the part I found interesting and confusing in that article. It seems to describe transferring a pokemon from VC gen 1, to a cartridge gen 2 game, and from there transferring to gen 3, then gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7 and finally gen 8. Meaning if that is true, the pokemon wouldn't be skipping SM, USUM etc and therefore be able to collect each gens ribbons while retaining the gameboy icon on the profile. 

1 minute ago, Malhakai said:

That is the part I found interesting and confusing in that article. It seems to describe transferring a pokemon from VC gen 1, to a cartridge gen 2 game, and from there transferring to gen 3, then gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7 and finally gen 8. Meaning if that is true, the pokemon wouldn't be skipping SM, USUM etc and therefore be able to collect each gens ribbons while retaining the gameboy icon on the profile. 

I have no idea where you read that in the article. Legally gen 1 and 2 can not connect with gen 3 since there is no connectivity function between them. Virtual console gen 1 and 2 can connect with Bank and be withdrawn by Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon and then sent to HOME to be withdrawn by Sword or Shield. There is no legal path where gen 1 or 2 connects with gen 3, 4, 5, or, 6 which means your Gengar can not legally have those ribbons. So as I said when answering question 2 virtual console Pokémon can only have ribbons from SM, USUM, and SwSh at this point.

• Like 1