pk3ds/packhackv9 not changing the original ROM? HELP

Working with above mentioned tools, citra, and an Omega Ruby.3ds file. 

I extract the .3ds using packhackv9.

I navigate to that extraction folder with pk3ds. Then I make changes.

I rebuild the ruby.3ds file in packhackv9 with the modified folders.

When I load the edited .3ds file in Citra, the original, unmodified game loads. I have no idea how this is possible and Ive been at it all day. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, jdlang76 said:

Working with above mentioned tools, citra, and an Omega Ruby.3ds file. 

I extract the .3ds using packhackv9.

I navigate to that extraction folder with pk3ds. Then I make changes.

I rebuild the ruby.3ds file in packhackv9 with the modified folders.

When I load the edited .3ds file in Citra, the original, unmodified game loads. I have no idea how this is possible and Ive been at it all day. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Before going big, make a singular noticable change.

Then make sure packhack is recompiling the files that pk3DS touches and edits.

If you have doubts, get packhack to re-decompile the ROM that was recompiled, in a different spot, then open it up with PK3DS to confirm the change is there.

Then, when you're happy that the change is indeed there, get Citra to run the game.

Something has to be wrong with one of your steps, gotta figure out which one it is.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

Before going big, make a singular noticable change.

Then make sure packhack is recompiling the files that pk3DS touches and edits.

If you have doubts, get packhack to re-decompile the ROM that was recompiled, in a different spot, then open it up with PK3DS to confirm the change is there.

Then, when you're happy that the change is indeed there, get Citra to run the game.

Something has to be wrong with one of your steps, gotta figure out which one it is.

Thanks for the tip. I started the whole process from scratch. I just made Mew the only wild pokemon on rt 101. I extracted my edited rom and opened in pk3ds, VERIFYING that the files in the edited rom are indeed modified. I booted up the modified rom in Citra.... Wurmple. I have NO idea how this is possible. The only thing that is logically possible to me is Citra navigating to a different original ROM somehow when I load the modded one. Totally confused, but at least we narrowed it down. Any thoughts?

31 minutes ago, jdlang76 said:

Thanks for the tip. I started the whole process from scratch. I just made Mew the only wild pokemon on rt 101. I extracted my edited rom and opened in pk3ds, VERIFYING that the files in the edited rom are indeed modified. I booted up the modified rom in Citra.... Wurmple. I have NO idea how this is possible. The only thing that is logically possible to me is Citra navigating to a different original ROM somehow when I load the modded one. Totally confused, but at least we narrowed it down. Any thoughts?

Remove the unedited ROM from your computer. Like shift it to an external hard drive or an SD or something. Then remove it.

Make sure there's only the edited ROM on your computer, then launch it with Citra.
Also, make sure you didn't already install the ROM into your NAND. (maybe a CIA install or something)

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Make sure there's only the edited ROM on your computer, then launch it with Citra.
Also, make sure you didn't already install the ROM into your NAND. (maybe a CIA install or something)

How do i check that? Sorry, new to citra

what is no. Neither?

Sorry I was sleep-typing... I dont have an installed titles section. And it does not appear under a folder either. I was loading it with File>Load.

Anyway, try using Add New Game Directory.
image.png

Select the folder that only has your edited game in it.
And also, remember to remove all copies of the unedited game from your computer.
Give that a try, see if it works.

I have removed all other copies of the game from the computer and put the edited one in its own folder, then added that as a directory. Citra is still loading the original game. 

4 minutes ago, jdlang76 said:

Sorry I was sleep-typing... I dont have an installed titles section. And it does not appear under a folder either. I was loading it with File>Load.

I have removed all other copies of the game from the computer and put the edited one in its own folder, then added that as a directory. Citra is still loading the original game. 

then I got no clue. Maybe try making a different edit. Maybe your edit isn't as unique/noticeable as you think. Perhaps start with performing an edit on a mon. Do a personalinfo edit and change Bulbasaur's type or something. Or maybe change the model of a species.

Just now, theSLAYER said:

then I got no clue. Maybe try making a different edit. Maybe your edit isn't as unique/noticeable as you think. Perhaps start with performing an edit on a mon. Do a personalinfo edit and change Bulbasaur's type or something. Or maybe change the model of a species.

I replaced Wurmples and Poochyenas with Mew... I think thats pretty noticeable lol. But I guess Ill switch to Citra forums now. Since it appears thats the issue

Just now, jdlang76 said:

I replaced Wurmples and Poochyenas with Mew... I think thats pretty noticeable lol. But I guess Ill switch to Citra forums now. Since it appears thats the issue

I don't think Citra would secretly store a copy of the unedited ROM and read from it.

There could be more than one encounter table for the Route. There could be a table for standard encounters, and another for DexNav. Maybe there's one for before the legendary event. It's hard to say, I'm no expert in encounter table editing, but all those seem like possibilities to me, hence why I suggested performing a different change. Or perhaps, go the randomization route, this way all tables are changed.

31 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I don't think Citra would secretly store a copy of the unedited ROM and read from it.

There could be more than one encounter table for the Route. There could be a table for standard encounters, and another for DexNav. Maybe there's one for before the legendary event. It's hard to say, I'm no expert in encounter table editing, but all those seem like possibilities to me, hence why I suggested performing a different change. Or perhaps, go the randomization route, this way all tables are changed.

Youre not gonna believe this. I downloaded a popular omega ruby mod with no Wurmple on RT 101, patched the original, booted it up, got Wurmple. That sparked an idea. I have the game saved right before the first 101 encounter. I thought, maybe the game has a Wurmple encounter saved because Ive already entered the Route. So I defeated it then walked around, got the modded mon! So I tried re-patching everything fresh with just Mew, booted it up, got Wurmple as expected, but second encounter was Mew. Clearly, the game registered an upcoming Wurmple encounter as soon as I entered the Route, and that couldnt be undone by modding the table. I am assuming I will be good from here... Thanks for your help!

Oh, was your save at the very beginning of the game? Yeah there's a few fixed encounters sprinkled here and there, and the Wurmple is one of them. If I recall correctly, it is shiny locked, so that your first encounter won't be an impossible shiny (one that you couldn't catch). Well hopefully it is all good for ya now :3

Oh, was your save at the very beginning of the game? Yeah there's a few fixed encounters sprinkled here and there, and the Wurmple is one of them. If I recall correctly, it is shiny locked, so that your first encounter won't be an impossible shiny (one that you couldn't catch). Well hopefully it is all good for ya now :3

Well, Im halfway there I guess. I wiped the save and loaded up my game. The wild encounters are good. But the static/starter is original. pk3ds shows they are modded in the rom im using, but in-game, they are original. I changed the starters and that wurmple encounter to rattata. Neither of those stuck. But then the wilds on 101 are correct. Trainers are also good, as May has the bulbasaur I gave her. Any advice on those statics/starters?

Edited by jdlang76

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

I think modifying statics/starters require an exeFS edit? It's been quite a while since I've looked at ORAS files.

To be sure, it doesn't stick when you checked via decompile/recompile or via loading the ROM?

Yes but pk3ds has that feature built in. I successfully did it a couple years ago with no issues. 

The edited rom shows that the edits were successful. They just dont show up in game. 

Edit - Looks like anything under the RomFS tab sticks but anything under the CRO tab doesnt. Extracting shows the files are modded, but game loads original. 

Edited by jdlang76

11 hours ago, jdlang76 said:

Yes but pk3ds has that feature built in. I successfully did it a couple years ago with no issues. 

The edited rom shows that the edits were successful. They just dont show up in game. 

Edit - Looks like anything under the RomFS tab sticks but anything under the CRO tab doesnt. Extracting shows the files are modded, but game loads original. 

Check if the modded cro is saved to somewhere else, that is what pk3DS looks at. 

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Check if the modded cro is saved to somewhere else, that is what pk3DS looks at. 

Narrowed it down! I installed Citra fresh on a another computer. Booted up the modded ROM, everything worked! So the problem is DEF with this installation of Citra. Im just not sure what to do because Citra retains its settings when you uninstall it and I havnt found an option to wipe the settings so I can start fresh. 

20 minutes ago, jdlang76 said:

Narrowed it down! I installed Citra fresh on a another computer. Booted up the modded ROM, everything worked! So the problem is DEF with this installation of Citra. Im just not sure what to do because Citra retains its settings when you uninstall it and I havnt found an option to wipe the settings so I can start fresh. 

Check your %appdata% folder.

5 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

did you check the various folder in appdata?

There's should be no where else it'll remain I don't think :/

Solved by using RevoUninstaller to wipe system of remaining fragments related to Citra after regular uninstall.

• Like 2