JKSV save file restoration is not working?

matthew937

I have not used PKHex in some time. I recently updated to Switch firmware 13.0.0 and I am using Atmosphere 1.1.1. I have been using JKSV to extract my Shield save. PKHex allows me to make the edits. I export my save, copy it to my SD card, and restore the save using JKSV. It says it is successful. I reboot my switch, launch Pokemon Shield, and the save it loads is the previous unedited save. I cannot figure out why it is not working. Can anybody help me out with this?

26 minutes ago, matthew937 said:

I have not used PKHex in some time. I recently updated to Switch firmware 13.0.0 and I am using Atmosphere 1.1.1. I have been using JKSV to extract my Shield save. PKHex allows me to make the edits. I export my save, copy it to my SD card, and restore the save using JKSV. It says it is successful. I reboot my switch, launch Pokemon Shield, and the save it loads is the previous unedited save. I cannot figure out why it is not working. Can anybody help me out with this?

are you using CFW EmuMMC to use JKSV, then using OFW Sysnand to check the save in the game?

I have tried two things. I have booted into CFW EmuMMC to backup the save, edit the data in PKHex, and restore the save in EmuMMC. Reboot into OFW and the save loads as if nothing was changed.

I tried the same thing booting CFW with Sysnand and I get the same result. Any pokemon added or items changed are not there.

1 hour ago, matthew937 said:

I have tried two things. I have booted into CFW EmuMMC to backup the save, edit the data in PKHex, and restore the save in EmuMMC. Reboot into OFW and the save loads as if nothing was changed.

I tried the same thing booting CFW with Sysnand and I get the same result. Any pokemon added or items changed are not there.

You're not supposed to see edits you made in EmuMMC on Sysnand.

If you saw the edits previously, it happened by chance. It's unintended.
Your sysnand and emummc happened to be 'linked'.

Do you see what the problem is? It sounds like you're expecting behavior that is unintended.

Booting into CFW Sysnand and restoring the save should have retained the changes, so I can only assume you didn't restore the edited save.

Close PKHeX, then open a fresh window of PKHeX, then drag the edited save into it. Do you see the changes there?

43 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You're not supposed to see edits you made in EmuMMC on Sysnand.

If you saw the edits previously, it happened by chance. It's unintended.
Your sysnand and emummc happened to be 'linked'.

Do you see what the problem is? It sounds like you're expecting behavior that is unintended.

Booting into CFW Sysnand and restoring the save should have retained the changes, so I can only assume you didn't restore the edited save.

Close PKHeX, then open a fresh window of PKHeX, then drag the edited save into it. Do you see the changes there?

Here is the process I took on a fresh attempt:
1. Booted into CFW Sysnand.
2. Launched JKSV and made a backup of Pokemon Shield save.
3. Edited save file with PKHex.
4. Closed PKHex and relaunched it, reloaded the edited save, and confirmed changes.
5. Copied edited save back to sd card.
6. Booted switch into CFW sysnand.
7. Used JKSV to restore save to Shield.
8. Launched game to confirm changes. Changes were present.
9. Rebooted to stock firmware....well son of a gun...it worked!

I could have sworn I followed that process before my original post and the changes wouldn't take. I guess maybe I was copying the wrong main file back to my sd card. Thanks anyway for your help. I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, matthew937 said:

Here is the process I took on a fresh attempt:
1. Booted into CFW Sysnand.
2. Launched JKSV and made a backup of Pokemon Shield save.
3. Edited save file with PKHex.
4. Closed PKHex and relaunched it, reloaded the edited save, and confirmed changes.
5. Copied edited save back to sd card.
6. Booted switch into CFW sysnand.
7. Used JKSV to restore save to Shield.
8. Launched game to confirm changes. Changes were present.
9. Rebooted to stock firmware....well son of a gun...it worked!

I could have sworn I followed that process before my original post and the changes wouldn't take. I guess maybe I was copying the wrong main file back to my sd card. Thanks anyway for your help. I really appreciate it.

glad you got it figured out!