Trying to salvage my "Corrupted" Pokémon Red Savefile

Francistein

After years of playing Pokémon Red I turned my gameboy to find out the data was corrupted :(

I managed to get a Retrode to back the save file in my computer, I found that my party pokémon and items are still being recognized after using a pokemon editor program

However, I lack the technical "know-how" to attempt to restore my data, I wouldn't know where to start or if it is even possible to attempt that

Was reading someone else's topic regarding his pokémon blue savefile and was hoping someone could help me see if there's anything that can be done

Here is the save

Thanks in advance

PokemonRed.sav

14 minutes ago, Francistein said:

After years of playing Pokémon Red I turned my gameboy to find out the data was corrupted :(

I managed to get a Retrode to back the save file in my computer, I found that my party pokémon and items are still being recognized after using a pokemon editor program

However, I lack the technical "know-how" to attempt to restore my data, I wouldn't know where to start or if it is even possible to attempt that

Was reading someone else's topic regarding his pokémon blue savefile and was hoping someone could help me see if there's anything that can be done

Here is the save

Thanks in advance

The save loads fine on my end, after I saved an edit in PKHeX,
Try loading this copy:
PokemonRed.sav

OMG IT WORKED

it wasn't instantaneous, I had to learn how to remove the write protection from the cartridge in order to replace the save file, but it worked instantly on the emulator which gave me hope

Now I can even play the save file on the cartridge

You have done something amazing, thanks from the bottom of my heart ❤️

Edited by Francistein

5 minutes ago, Francistein said:

OMG IT WORKED

it wasn't instantaneous, I had to learn how to remove the write protection from the cartridge in order to replace the save file, but it worked instantly on the emulator which gave me hope

Now I can even play the save file on the cartridge

You have done something amazing, thanks from the bottom of my heart ❤️

no worries, in reality I did nothing at all. The save was usable from the start, it's just that the checksums were probably incorrect, hence why the game would refuse to load it.

PKHeX recalculates the checksums on save export, so PKHeX did all the heavy lifting :3

Can PkHex fix a pokémon stadium 2 file with a similar problem?

I tried opening my old n64 file but it is not being read by the n64, however, when loading the file on pkhex everything seems fine

Do I have to do something else with pkhex in order to "fix" the file?

Here's the file in question, I'm learning all of this as I go so any input is greatly appreciated

PokemonStadium2.NP3E.fla

Edited by Francistein

33 minutes ago, Francistein said:

Can PkHex fix a pokémon stadium 2 file with a similar problem?

I tried opening my old n64 file but it is not being read by the n64, however, when loading the file on pkhex everything seems fine

Do I have to do something else with pkhex in order to "fix" the file?

Here's the file in question, I'm learning all of this as I go so any input is greatly appreciated

PokemonStadium2.NP3E.fla 128 kB · 0 downloads

Possibly. Just drag a mon around then set the mon, then export the save.

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, Ice21 said:

Hey Slayer, do you mind looking into my save? I backed it up to my pc just in case the battery died and when I write it back into my cartridge, it says the file save is destroyed. I don't know what to do.

Pokemon Red - 3.7.22 .sav 32 kB · 0 downloads

image.png
PKHeX loads your save just fine, so I would assume it is fine..

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the SUPER late reply. What should I do. A couple months ago I swapped the battery and the saves just fine and then I got the message like a couple weeks later.  Change for a new battery and it’s the same result weeks later. I assumed it was because I abused the controlled Pokemon encounter glitch aka “Mew” glitch but I tested playing the game from scratch until I got to Pewter City, saved, turn off, wait 5 seconds, turn on and the thing says the file was destroyed. I run an emulator on the pc with the file I shared with you but like you said it runs just fine. What is wrong with the cart?  I got this new as a kid back in like ‘98. After a while the battery died and when I turn it on it just asks for a new game. That’s all. No destroyed save at all. 

Mew glitch doesn’t destroy the save. Or cause issues down the line in terms of operating the cart. It sounds like a board issue.

The cart probably got some variation of wear and tear along the years. Since we aren’t PCB experts, even a picture of the board won’t necessarily help. Maybe carefully look at the pins, solders, and traces, to visually check if they’re all okay. Some times all you need is IPA to clean the contacts, and maybe resolder some broken connections.