Pokemon Yellow legit cart save

24Nathan

Hello,

I remember getting out of school early way back in 1998 to get a Game Boy Color and a copy of Pokemon Yellow. I still have this original cartridge, and I' pretty sure I still had my event Mew on it from the Stadium Tour Nintendo did in 2000 to help promote Pokemon Stadium (and other things Pokemon): List of European language event Pokémon distributions in Generation I - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)

My Mew would've been obtained in Chesterfield, Missouri, on either April 8th or 9th, 2000, likely the 8th, as it was a Saturday. :)

Flash forward to a few years ago, I pull out my old Pokemon games (Yellow, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, and LeafGreen), and decide to pop them in and just relive some good old memories. The GBA games worked, and I subsequently was able to transfer those Pokemon up to my new Gen 7 games, the first I had played since the GBA days. Silver and Crystal both had their save files wiped, unfortunately, and that left Yellow...when I popped Yellow into the Game Boy Advance and the Game Boy Color, it would just show a quick flash of a thin black line near the bottom quarter of the screen on either handheld. I tried cleaning the ends with cotton swabs, tried blowing on the cartridge, nothing. I decided to keep it in case I could ever get my Mew from that game and bring it forward to modern day. 

Just a few months ago, I decided I wanted to invest a Flash Boy and try importing the save file. The program recognizes the gam as Pokemon Yellow, and that it has a save file, but I cannot get Visual Boy Advance or PKHex to read the save file. I really want to see if I can save the Pokemon I had, especially Mew. I have backed up everything to my PC in case my battery dies before I am able to get a definite answer (if it hasn't already). So my final question is...is all hope lost? Is there a way to check if this story has come to an end? Any replies would be appreciated. I would be more than willing to share the Mew I have if the save file gets figured out. Thank you!

3 hours ago, 24Nathan said:

Here it is! Hoping for the best...

Pokemon Yellow.sav 32 kB · 0 downloads

This file does not appear to be a save file.

That would be the reason why VBA and PKHeX fails to recognize it as a save:
it is just a collection of random garbled data, which is probably not from a save.

Have you tried playing your cart on a Gameboy to check if the save loads?
edit: It seems like you tried but it won't even boot aye.

Try dumping the saves of other real GB carts. If yellow is the only one that can't be dumped properly, then the save probably is dead :/

16 hours ago, 24Nathan said:

I have no other cartridges to test. Guess those Pokemon are finally gone...sad day. Thank you for looking at it for me. 

As of now I'm unsure whether your GB/GBC dumping is working as intended, or if it's your Yellow save.

Consider making a few dump, with each dump you jiggling the cart a slight bit, or cleaning the contacts again.

Maybe try finding a configuration that can get the cart to launch the game.

I can't really give any other advice besides that...