Changed data on a SAV file and now my game says corrupted?

So, I imported the Gen 2 SAV from below to use with Virtual Console. I edited the Trainer info to my actual in-game name and TID. I also batch-edited all Pokemon to have my OT & TID. I saved it to my SD card, restored it with Checkpoint, then when I launched the game, it says, "Save data is corrupted and will be initialized." Then my file gets erased. Any idea why? And yes, my sav was titled "sav.dat"

Edited by PkHexBoi

24 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Do you still have your original sav.dat?

Also, which file did you insert into which game?

GS save isn't the same as C save, so telling me "Gen 2 VC" isn't enough. I need to make sure you matched the right save and right game.
In any case, whenever you need help, you gotta be more specific. I can't read your mind :/

I don't. I was only at the very beginning of the game anyway. It was the Gen 2 GS save for Gold Version. Only modified OT/TID on all PkMn as well as the Trainer info itself. Even tried it without editing the Trainer Info at all. Same issue.

Edited by PkHexBoi

6 minutes ago, PkHexBoi said:

I don't. I was only at the very beginning of the game anyway. It was the Gen 2 GS save for Gold Version. Only modified OT/TID on all PkMn as well as the Trainer info itself. Even tried it without editing the Trainer Info at all. Same issue.

could you restart a new game, save the game, then send me the dumped VC GS save?
The non-corrupted one.

edit: before that, try this save.
If it doesn't work, then send me a VC save. (and if it works, let me know)
Gen 2 - GS Project 251 (VC).sav

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

could you restart the game, save the game, then send me the dumped VC GS save?

You mean just start a new game, save it, and send you the new save file? Or the one that keeps corrupting it?

I mean, I'm supposed to be renaming the files to "sav.dat," right? So why do they have just ".sav" by default? And ok, will try!

EDIT: Just tried the sav (renamed it to just "sav.dat"), restored with Checkpoint, and game gets corrupt.

23 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

refresh this page, read my edit in the previous post, thanks.

Here's the save of the new game I just started. Edited my post above ^

sav.dat

Edited by PkHexBoi

The way cart saves and VC saves are handled differently.
For the most part they are exactly the same, but for VC they usually tag on one row, which is meant to represent the in-game clocked.

You can see the comparisons below:
image.png

(Which is also why I needed a VC save from you: I don't have a VC save on hand at the moment, so I just wanted to copy over the row of bytes from your save)

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

The way cart saves and VC saves are handled differently.
For the most part they are exactly the same, but for VC they usually tag on one row, which is meant to represent the in-game clocked.

You can see the comparisons below:
image.png

(Which is also why I needed a VC save from you: I don't have a VC save on hand at the moment, so I just wanted to copy over the row of bytes from your save)

Huh. Interesting. Surprised no one else caught that yet, haha. Glad you could help fix it!

Just now, PkHexBoi said:

Huh. Interesting. Surprised no one else caught that yet, haha. Glad you could help fix it!

I think many people are aware. There's even a converter for saves from VC to emulator/retail, I'm just unsure the reverse is true.
It really doesn't help tho, that different emulators and VC and retail cart add varying different footer bytes.