Cannot boot into CFW

Neo86

Hi guys, 

looking to get some help or advice on an issue that i am experiencing on my switch. Its an unpatched version (did the necessary checks and bought over a year ago) i decided to install cfw on it a few months back. did via emuMMC that way installing the cfw on the sd card that way the sys nand is untouched. i hadn't played for a bit and recently tried to load the cfw via fusee payload. Im getting just a black screen (like nothing happens whats so ever) no light, no splash nothing and the only way to get out of there is to hold the power button. Now it does load OFW no issues thats still on air plane mode with no user account and still on version 9.1.0. i did get a new SD card of 400gb as i wanted to upgrade my current one as i wanted to copy some new games onto it and make that my normal sd card for the switch, however when after formatted my new sd card to fat32 and copied all the files from my other card to the new one and tried to boot it nothing happened (black screen) i assumed i needed to do something more than that but wasnt sure, so i tried to use my original sd card and now the same thing is happening with that also. ive read i needed to use the latest version of atmosphere and use the latest version of either fusee or hakete, though both are giving me the same result. i dont know what to do now as ive tried a few methods that i've come across online. I dont know if i have stuffed my cfw for good now or what. im just not sure how to get it working again. if someone can help me out on this it would be really appreciated. or if they can point in the right direction it would be a great help. 

thank you 

Wall of text; just a chunky paragraph: hard to read. If you want people to help you, be as concise and informative as possible, thanks.

A few questions:
1. are you able to boot into RCM?
2. are you absolutely certain the files on the SD card are the files from the latest Atmosphere zip?
3. are you absolutely certain that the fusee-primary.bin your bootloader uses is the latest version?

hey, sorry it was a bit of mouthful in hindsight. 

1. Yes i can boot into RCM, normally boot via TegraRCMGUI . get that RCM ok message 

2. i thought it was i downloaded version 0.12.0 masterfile zip

3. again i believe so but is there a way to check that ?

11 minutes ago, Neo86 said:

1. Yes i can boot into RCM, normally boot via TegraRCMGUI . get that RCM ok message 

Going into RCM, and using your bootloader to inject a payload, are two different things.

RCM, short for Recovery Mode, is the black screen you get when you use the jig and various button combinations (auto-RCM also goes straight to RCM when you boot up).
I know TegraRCMGUI says you were successful in injecting a payload, but I don't know if TegraRCMGUI were to throw an error if Switch is not on RCM. (in essense, I don't know when and how it throws errors)

With my explanation out of the way: once again, are you able to get to RCM?

13 minutes ago, Neo86 said:

2. i thought it was i downloaded version 0.12.0 masterfile zip

3. again i believe so but is there a way to check that ?

Fully delete the folders and the bin you have (maybe keep safe backups elsewhere on your computer).
Then, redownload the Atmosphere folders into your SD, and redownload the bin for your bootlooder.

[I'm asking you to delete the folders, cause sometimes people just combine folders, and that could be bad. Some contents are not meant to be mixed and matched]

Speaking of bootloaders, try using the latest TegraRCMSmash instead (to see if that makes a difference).
It's real simple to use:
1. Have your Switch on RCM
2. hook up the USB-C cable between your Switch and your PC
3. Drag the fusee-primary.bin onto the file icon, and it'll inject the payload for you.

Thank you for that information, i'll give it a try. I normally get into RCM by using a jig and holding down the volume up and power button and the screen stays black. you are right when you say that the tegrarcm says payload injected successfully cause that is what it says but it remains on that black screen and nothing happens currently. 

with regards to deleting folders off the sd card. Do i keep or delete the Nintendo folder? or does it not matter? Happy to delete the other ones no problem as i did make a backup. I also wanted to know if the format of the sd card matters like exfat compared to fat 32?

14 minutes ago, Neo86 said:

with regards to deleting folders off the sd card. Do i keep or delete the Nintendo folder? or does it not matter?

Keep it. It's where your user profile and saves are stored.
If you look at the folders in the zip, you'll know what folders to delete.

Note: Checkpoint and any other homebrew should be in the Switch folder. Make sure you backup the folders before deleting them.

15 minutes ago, Neo86 said:

I also wanted to know if the format of the sd card matters like exfat compared to fat 32?

I doubt it's a format issue. I've had both on my SD card before.
Just make sure everything else works.

okay no worries, i'm going to give it a try now and see how i go 

hey there, sorry to be a pain tried that and still nothing happened still remained in the black screen once in rcm mode. i've taken some snapshots of whats on my sd card if that helps.

what can i try next ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hey there, 

I was able to resolve my issue turned out to be an issue with the cable or usb port on my laptop did it on another pc with a new usb c to usb a cable and it worked fine. Just had to do a bit of trail and error to realise that the payload was not injecting anything. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem they can try that and it may work for them also :)  

thanks for the help.

Edited by Neo86
  • Like 1