Questions on PKHex Bank access for SysNAND and if I have the right method to minimize my chances of being banned

Icalasari

So two questions that a quick look aren't answered or aren't entirely clear:

1) How would I access my SysNAND saves for editing when everything is installed on EmuNAND? I see mentions of switching to that but I thought that was impossible to do? The only guide I've managed to find that explains how was completely deleted

2) Would the best way to pass Nintendo's checks be to save the game in Airplane mode, send the file to PKHex for whatever edits needed (for the SysNAND saves I only want the Bank/Home functionality of PKHex, I realize how dumb it is to edit saves with rom hacks and such if said save even has a chance of connection online - I like to have a back up of my Bank/Home just in case), do said edits, insert the file, then in Airplane mode still boot up the game, save, then finally can turn airplane mode off to help smooth over any possible non matching checksums? That's my understanding of how to do that safely but I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something or if that actually doesn't do much to stop Nintendo from sniffing out a hacked switch

4 minutes ago, Icalasari said:

1) How would I access my SysNAND saves for editing when everything is installed on EmuNAND? I see mentions of switching to that but I thought that was impossible to do? The only guide I've managed to find that explains how was completely deleted

It doesn't appear you can access your sysMMC stock when you have an emuMMC CFW.

4 minutes ago, Icalasari said:

2) Would the best way to pass Nintendo's checks be to save the game in Airplane mode, send the file to PKHex for whatever edits needed (for the SysNAND saves I only want the Bank/Home functionality of PKHex, I realize how dumb it is to edit saves with rom hacks and such if said save even has a chance of connection online - I like to have a back up of my Bank/Home just in case), do said edits, insert the file, then in Airplane mode still boot up the game, save, then finally can turn airplane mode off to help smooth over any possible non matching checksums? That's my understanding of how to do that safely but I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something or if that actually doesn't do much to stop Nintendo from sniffing out a hacked switch

If you want to be mostly risk free, then:
1. First Switch has homebrew
2. Second Switch pure stock and has Bank/HOME access.

First Switch allows for save editing. Then trade to the Second Switch. Then access Bank/HOME.

Besides that, we can't give any other advice. Your method seems fine, but you gotta accept the risk that you might get banned, no matter how small the risk is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

It doesn't appear you can access your sysMMC stock when you have an emuMMC CFW

Ah, so I'm guessing it's some dual boot method then? If that's possible, then that would explain my confusion

If you want to be mostly risk free, then:
1. First Switch has homebrew
2. Second Switch pure stock and has Bank/HOME access.

First Switch allows for save editing. Then trade to the Second Switch. Then access Bank/HOME.

Besides that, we can't give any other advice. Your method seems fine, but you gotta accept the risk that you might get banned, no matter how small the risk is.

Yeah, it's mostly that it's impractical given the size of my collection, so it's one of those, "I need to accept a non zero risk, just hoping to make it as close to zero as possible" ones. I do have a second switch in case one gets banned

Thank you for the quick response

Just now, Icalasari said:

Ah, so I'm guessing it's some dual boot method then? If that's possible, then that would explain my confusion

so far, based on my experience, Hekate isn't able to boot into sysMMC with CFW when emuMMC exists.

Meaning, the only way to do so, is to remove emuMMC.

1 minute ago, Icalasari said:

Yeah, it's mostly that it's impractical given the size of my collection, so it's one of those, "I need to accept a non zero risk, just hoping to make it as close to zero as possible"

well I can't say if it'll be worth it. As it is, it is risky enough (for me anyways) to be using a CFW unit online.
(to clarify: I bring a CFW'd unit for online competitions and stuff)

Tho, I say it is risky, because I absolutely do not edit the save in the profile that I go online with.
As such, I do not know whether it is safe or unsafe bringing an edited save online.

Tho, I do disable my Wi-Fi switch on my Switch, when I go into Homebrew. I don't pirate any games nor use any installed themes (people tend to make illegal themes). So that's something.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

so far, based on my experience, Hekate isn't able to boot into sysMMC with CFW when emuMMC exists.

Meaning, the only way to do so, is to remove emuMMC.

Huh. Then that confuses me on how some people talk about how they use Checkpoint to grab a save from SysNAND while also using EmuNAND. Maybe I misread those?

Tho, I do disable my Wi-Fi switch on my Switch, when I go into Homebrew. I don't pirate any games nor use any installed themes (people tend to make illegal themes). So that's something.

Did not know themes could get a switch banned, so thanks for that tidbit. My main plus with my internet is that my Switch for some stupid reason can not connect directly to it, I need to use my phone as a hotspot inbetween so I can out right turn off even the wifi connection my Switch would use (although I assume still turn off wifi on my Switch anyways just as an added layer)

1 minute ago, Icalasari said:

Huh. Then that confuses me on how some people talk about how they use Checkpoint to grab a save from SysNAND while also using EmuNAND. Maybe I misread those?

I've seen that before as well. There's some kind of factor relating to this, and I don't know for certain what it is.
Maybe sysMMC and emuMMC have the same game updates installed in order to achieve this.
Maybe sysMMC stock OS and emuMMC CFW OS has to be at the same firmware version.

I've read that people don't know how, but suddenly the sysMMC and emuMMC profiles became split and was treated as 2 different profile, despite being originally same profile.
I can only imagine that a firmware update would cause such a split, since people update the emuMMC without paying much attention to their sysMMC,
but without concrete proof (and a way to test, since my SD card ain't big enough), I can't peddle that as fact now, can I? XD

5 minutes ago, Icalasari said:

Did not know themes could get a switch banned, so thanks for that tidbit. My main plus with my internet is that my Switch for some stupid reason can not connect directly to it, I need to use my phone as a hotspot inbetween so I can out right turn off even the wifi connection my Switch would use (although I assume still turn off wifi on my Switch anyways just as an added layer)

It could be your router settings. My router could broadcast at 2 bandwidths, but I think my Switch can only connect to one of them.
But yeah, controlling the wi-fi using the phone as a hotspot may be an extra switch for you, tho it doesn't exactly stop your Switch, if it's holding a report and waiting for a connection.

• Thanks 1