Pokemon Box ROM hack to play other games idea.

I tried googling for info on how it works and couldn't find any info. So my idea of the top of my head is that when going to play Ruby or Sapphire using box, is that it sends a multi boot rom to the GBA that checks the cartridges header to know what game it is then sends that info and the save game back to the GameCube to be played on a emulator,

This would explain why it only supports those two games for playing and the others only for storage. Considering they would be the only games ready at box launch to have the roms embedded into it. Basic storage is more basic and was a standard so others could be supported just for storage.

I was wondering if that info was correct it may mean the roms could be swapped out like virtual console injects. It may also require editing the multi boot rom to check for the target games headers also.

I know if it's possible,I world enjoy one that played Emerald and Leaf Green.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge would say if this is possible.

EDIT:

After learning how to extract the files from the iso image I found that I am probably correct.

I found 4 ROM files (2 revisions of each game) that when opened in a emulator play fine. It even has a file named GBEmulator.arc which supports my idea of how this works.

Then it took a little bit to learn what the arc files were and how to open them. After extracting them all the only other file I found that my system identified as a GBA ROM was agbbin.bin which came gbarom.arc (plus a second identical copy from gbaromD.arc)

I assume that is the multi boot ROM.

I just have no idea where to start to edit it to change the cartridge detection to Emerald or Leaf Green or Fire Red and have it use those games.

I assume at the least the other games could just replace the Ruby and Sapphire ROM's and the multi boot ROM just has to be changed to search for something like Emerald then have it open whichever ROM was replaced.

Sadly I can't code even a Hello World in anything more then bash which isn't even a coding language.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by shadowofdarkness
new info

• 7 months later...

I've been wondering how to go about this as well so that I'd be able to play my pokemon FireRed copy on my wii using the Nintendont homebrew software. Have you figuered out how to change the rom or is this just a dead dream?