Pearl backup file - I messed up.

Oppai

Okay so as the title says.. I messed up. I'm a total newbie doing an egglocke I found and all was going well until I wanted to gen in items that the eggs had. So I opened up pokegen, loaded in my .dsv file from the battery folder which I'm sure was already a mistake, looking at a tutorial which only showed me how to add items, I added the item saved the file, not save as just overwrote the old one, now thankfully a .bak file was made however I have no idea how to convert the backup file into a dsv to load up my game save again. I tried searching on the forums here but searching a specific problem was sort of difficult as it just showed me every thread with ".bak" or ".sav" in it :( So any help I can get as to how I use the backup file would be great. p.s. I already tried basic stuff like opening it in notepad and saving it as a.dsv and a .sav both times they loaded a fresh game.

11 minutes ago, Oppai said:

Okay so as the title says.. I messed up. I'm a total newbie doing an egglocke I found and all was going well until I wanted to gen in items that the eggs had. So I opened up pokegen, loaded in my .dsv file from the battery folder which I'm sure was already a mistake, looking at a tutorial which only showed me how to add items, I added the item saved the file, not save as just overwrote the old one, now thankfully a .bak file was made however I have no idea how to convert the backup file into a dsv to load up my game save again. I tried searching on the forums here but searching a specific problem was sort of difficult as it just showed me every thread with ".bak" or ".sav" in it :( So any help I can get as to how I use the backup file would be great. p.s. I already tried basic stuff like opening it in notepad and saving it as a.dsv and a .sav both times they loaded a fresh game.

Just rename the .bak to .dsv
The .bak won't have any modifications done to it, so it's likely the exact same file.
Also make another backup of that file before you do any renaming and loading it back up into the game.

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Just rename the .bak to .dsv
The .bak won't have any modifications done to it, so it's likely the exact same file.
Also make another backup of that file before you do any renaming and loading it back up into the game.

Would it make any difference if I opened the backup file? Since that what I did initially, I opened it then saved it still as a backup but for notepad and then saved it as .dsv and .sav both of which didn't work like I said. I just tried what you said and it still loads up a fresh game so I'm thinking I completely messed it up..

1 minute ago, Oppai said:

Would it make any difference if I opened the backup file? Since that what I did initially, I opened it then saved it still as a backup but for notepad and then saved it as .dsv and .sav both of which didn't work like I said. I just tried what you said and it still loads up a fresh game so I'm thinking I completely messed it up..

If you modified the .bak, and proceed to save over the .bak, you might have screwed something up within it.

Send me the .bak for me to take a look

2 minutes ago, Oppai said:

Alright, here's the backup file. I'm pretty sure I saved as, as to make a new file so I believe this is the original file I got just opened, closed and renamed.

Pearl Randomizer Egglocke PLAY ALONG.dsv.bak

That .bak file doesn't have usable data.

Do you have any other save file? What about the modified one?

39 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

That .bak file doesn't have usable data.

Do you have any other save file? What about the modified one?

Sorry for taking so long to respond, all the other files that didn't work I had deleted so I've been trying some voodoo to recover the files which didn't work so other than that backup file there isn't any others. So I guess I'm just going to have to start over which isn't too bad since I only just got to Eterna Forest what sucks is I'm gonna lose my party which was randomized, oh well my mistake gotta live with it now. Thank you for trying to help with this :) you wouldn't happen to have a link to a tutorial on how to gen in items properly so that I don't make the same mistake again?

42 minutes ago, Oppai said:

Sorry for taking so long to respond, all the other files that didn't work I had deleted so I've been trying some voodoo to recover the files which didn't work so other than that backup file there isn't any others. So I guess I'm just going to have to start over which isn't too bad since I only just got to Eterna Forest what sucks is I'm gonna lose my party which was randomized, oh well my mistake gotta live with it now. Thank you for trying to help with this :) you wouldn't happen to have a link to a tutorial on how to gen in items properly so that I don't make the same mistake again?

You were playing on a emulator right, do you make save states regularly?
If so, just access the save state, then save the game (in-game) that save state.
(also, check your recycle bin. you might have viable saves in there)

As much as I want to help you with a link "how to gen correctly",
the whole process isn't that difficult so this kinda error shouldn't have popped up in the first place.

My suggestions are:
1. Make extra save backups regularly, especially before edits
2. don't edit your saves, when the game is still running on the emu.
Either load a different game, or close the emulator completely.
3. Use PKHeX, as it can handle DSVs, so just edit the DSV straight