Transferring Pokémon from a Red Cartridge into the Virtual Console version.

Commanderraf

Greetings:

I hope anyone has a solution for this. Many years ago I bought a GB Transfer device so I could make a backup of my Pokémon Red cartridge save file -before the internal battery ran dry- since that game meant a lot to me (and I was sincerely bummed out when you couldn't transfer the Gen I/II Pokémon to the third generation).

Fast forward to late 2015, when it was announced not only that the original Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow games would be released on the Virtual Console, but also that the Pokémon caught in those versions would be transferrable to the Pokébank and, later this year, they would be able to be transfered to Pokémon Sun/Moon.

So I had this weird idea. Since not many people had backed their old Pokémon cartridges' save files, could it be possible to use the backup file in the new Virtual Console games? I paid and downloaded Pokémon Red on my NN3DSXL, tinkered about with the microSD card and, after noticing which file was the one created when making a new game on the VC's Pokémon Red, overwrote that file with a copy of my original Red save file.

But no. When launching the game on my 3DS it stated that the save file was corrupted (Damn it, Nintendo, way to crush my dreams).

Anyway, researching more online I found out that, what I wanted to do is possible, but only if I... jailbreak (is that the right term for Nintendo hardware?) the 3DS to crack the encription of the savefile and substitute it with the Red cartridge's one.

The thing is that I'm not risking my NN3DSXL nor the games and the Nintendo Network/My Nintendo/Whatever-it-is-called-this-month account I have downloaded or linked with it. Call me a prude, but I'm not taking that chance.

Fortunatelly, I have my old, original 3DS which I'm willing to risk to get my dear pocket monsters into the next generation. While my NN3DSXL has been updated to the newest system (11.0.0-33U, as the time of this writing) the original 3DS hasn't been updated since early last year, so it is still running the 9.5.0-22U version of the system software.

So, following some advice in the net I've been able to run the browserhax on the original 3DS, but that's about it. I tried extracting the NN3DSXL Virtual Console game savefile (a puny 2 minute playthorugh created just to have a save file in there) copying the entire information on its MicroSD card to a regular SD card, and following the steps on https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?48350-Tutorial-How-to-extract-the-saves-from-R-B-Y-virtual-console-(using-homebrew) , but even if it gave me the success message that appears on that thread (the "standard dump to SD was invoked" on the touchscreen) no file appears on the svdt folder of the SD card, so I guess I'm doing something wrong there.

Anyone has any kind of pointers to get me going in the right direction? What black magic to I have to do on my original 3DS to jailbreak it, install the Pokémon Red rom, substitute the save game with my original Red cartridge save file and then transfer my Pokémon to the New Nintendo 3DSXL Virtual Console Pokémon Red game?

I thank you in advance and any kind of help will be appreciated.

-Commanderraf

Summary: I have a backup of my original Pokémon Red cartridge's save game, I want to use it on my New Nintendo 3DS XL virtual console version of the game, but I can't. I don't want to hack/jailbreak my NN3DS, but I'm willing to use my original 3DS as a middleman in the process. Any ideas?

You must hack/jailbreak either on of your 3DS, otherwise its pointless.

and must able to perform system transfer from your Old 3ds to your NN3ds.

But I won't recommend it.

hacking your N3DS and restoring the save file is easier.

If following the link doesn't work for you,

I doubt that anything else would.

Since you managed to get browserhax to work, I recommend getting Menuhax to work before trying to use SDVT again.

Or try SDVT a few times.

This is a guide I created, with screenshots of how I got my saves (dumped with a GB Transfer 2) on to my 3DS: Pokemon GameBoy / Rom Save Transfer To 3DS [Red, Blue, Yellow & Green]

To follow my guide above you will need a 3DS running Custom Firmware (CFW), Google "Plailect 3DS Guide" and you will find a very detailed guide on how to downgrade to 9.2 and setup CFW, after that your good to go.

If you are new to console hacking it might look at bit complicated at first, however if you do your research and read the guides mentioned a few times you could easily do it in an afternoon I think.