Bypass internet check for system transfer

n00neimp0rtant

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I'll keep it short: I just got a New 3DS and want to transfer all of my old stuff to it, but the old 3DS will not allow the transfer to initiate without updating it. I still want to have my old one around for tweaking my Pokémon games, so I don't want to update it. I'm looking for a way to (ironically, I suppose) use the web browser exploit to patch a portion of the OS to allow the transfer to initiate without updating.

I have already tried using Charles to MITM the request that checks for transfer eligibility, and as expected, it is SSL encrypted. Charles re-signs requests when attempting to proxy SSL requests, but the 3DS only accepts Nintendo-signed certificates. If the browser exploit could be used to temporarily force the 3DS to trust a specific self-signed certificate, I could tweak the response data and spoof it over the proxy to pull this off. But I just found out about this browser exploit yesterday, so I don't know its scope, or if it can even manipulate functionality other than consumer software titles.

Any experts here who think this can be pulled off?

I too would like an answer to the actual question you're asking, but I thought I'd suggest an alternative solution for you. If your firmware is still 9.2 or lower you can buy a Gateway and use it to create and boot an emulated image of your entire system that runs off the SD card (commonly referred to as emuNAND). Once you're booted into the emulated NAND you can update at will without overwriting your exploitable system (real) NAND. I don't know the specifics but I suspect that going online on your old 3DS wouldn't be a good idea after the transfer unless you can "untie" it from the online identity that you transferred to your New 3DS. Unfortunately, again, I don't know the specifics, but I think that is possible.

Hope that's helpful. That you're even asking this means you must be on 9.5.0-22 or lower, hopefully you're 9.2.0-20 or lower so you can make this work for you!

It's quite stupid that it even checks the Internet really, just before transfer it gives you the option to transfer by putting the files on a PC as a midway point. Hope you find your solutions!

It's not stupid; it's exactly the reason why this thread exists =P They want to put as much pressure on people as possible to give up their hackability.

Also sorry about double post. I thought this forum has automatic double post merging enabled, and I'm on my phone.