Question about Nintendo Zone events

Is the UK Charizard event the first Nintendo Zone event? I'm asking because I don't want to find out I missed a bunch of local events because I didn't know how easy it is to trick your 3ds into thinking it's connected to a nintendo zone (you can download the UK Charizard from anywhere with a pal 3ds just by changing the SSID of a wifi hotspot). Are events in genVI usually done by a distribution cart?

Well, it seems to be a mix as far as distribution methods. Serial code distributions have been really big this gen (these are the ones that have the ability to be spoofed like the UK Charizard.) IR is also being used (the new Olleh Charizard redistribution is said to be using that at the upcoming event.) I think that this gen has seen the greatest variety of distribution methods compared to any other.

I'm from the US where historically events have been handed down via distribution carts. However, we have yet to see a special event launch other than the VGC Mamoswine, so it is hard to say how that will be handled.

I think it is. I dunno if there's a difference between Nintendo Zone and local wireless distribution, like in a PokéSen. Gen VI events are either done via codes, local wireless, or infrared. Code events are really popular right now. M17 Dakrai, Winter2013 events and Wishmaker Jirachi are some examples.