DeSmuME fails to load save files after editing with PokéGen? (3.1.13)

Ever since updating to DeSmuME v0.9.10, trying to load my save file after editing it with PokéGen results in DeSmuME failing to read the save file and corrupting it instead.

It works fine if I saved in-game and am just resuming from that, or even when the save file has been edited with Pokésav.

It worked fine in DeSmuME v0.9.9, so I am inclined to think DeSmuME is the problem, but I'm posting this here on the off change that there might be an issue (however small) with PokéGen.

I've posted the same question on the DeSmuME forums as well, since I'm not sure which of the two is causing the problems here.

Hey, I'm going to try that and get back to you.

I tried that, but it didn't work either.

The only thing that works fine is if I use File --> Import Backup Memory, oddly enough. Putting the .sav file back in the Battery directory, with the same file name and everything acts as if there is no save file.

Desmume used to append some data to the end of the save file. This data could be chopped off without affecting anything at all, as it wasn't part of the game-generated data. They may have changed that and have data at the end now that Desmume requires to load the save file properly. (Why they'd do that, I don't know.) If that's the case, PokeGen would need to be modified to stop removing the data.

desmume seems to create a bigger save now. saves that came from old desmume were 0x80000 + some ascii bytes from desmume save footer text. the saves for desmume .9.10 are now 0x100000 + ascii bytes

it seems that desmume makes 1mb saves now? something seems off about the desmume .9.10 save. it should be making a 512k save for w2, but it ends up as a 1mb file.

so:

-save white 2 in desmume

-desmume generates a 1025k file for some reason...

-open in pokegen and resave

-pokegen restores the save to the right size and cuts out the ascii(512k, 513k with ascii)

i don't think this is a pokegen problem... .9.10 is making a save 2x the right size.

Upon further inspection, it affects more than just save files edited via PokéGen.

There was something I wanted to edit that required me to use Pokémon Mystery Gift Editor, and sure enough, DeSmuME wouldn't read the save file unless I manually imported it. (Edited a .sav file I had just dumped from my retail cartridge)

(Should this thread be moved to this subforum?)

Alright, small update, but it turns out DeSmuME won't read my save file freshly dumped from my retail cartridge, no modifications or anything.

So I suppose we can just completely rule out PokéGen being the issue, so you're most likely right about their automatic save detection being broken (but I guess we guessed that already.)

That was Diamond, by the way. I haven't tried with games other than Pokémon yet.