EVs max out when earning a single EV in-battle

pepperr

Hi all,

I searched quite a bit on this but was unable to find any answers.

I'm playing through White 2 and used PokeGen pokemon for fun. I gave Lugia and Suicune 252 EVs in HP, SPD, and SpATK. I recently noticed that after any battle, the stats that have no EVs changes to 252 EVs if battling a pokemon that yields EVs in that particular stat-with-no-EVs. I've never had this happen in GenIV, only GenV. This also happened with Zekrom: I was facing a trainer in drayden's gym, and simply earning 2 ATK ev's made my Zekrom, who had NO EVs in attack, max out his ATK EVs and thus his ATK stat. He had 252 EVs in Def, Speed, and SpD. What's the deal? Does anyone know what's going on?

Not 100% sure but this probably happened because the game has an EV limit of 510 per Pokemon, i.e. 252 in 2 stats and 6 in a 3rd. Since you capped out 3 stats you are already over the programmed limit and that could be bugging the EV gain (you shouldn't be getting any EV's at all).

Interesting...I was constantly troubleshooting as to why I was gaining EVs, when I shouldn't have been like you said. Do you know of any way to get around the 510 limit? Im playing with intentionally bulky pokemon to make the game more difficult, but this phenomenon is frustrating me. I don't want Zekrom, Terrakion, and Volcarona to have max attack/sp atk stats, and I don't want Suicune and Lugia to max out their HP EVs.

There is no (legit) way around the 510 EV limit (Just as there is no way around the 31 IV limit, tho you can min/max every stat without issue). If I'm reading correctly you are Maxing 3 stats that you want so that the other 3 stats don't get bonus's. The only thing you can do is max out 2 stats and spread the remaining 6 points (4 EV points=1 stat point, so there are 127 total stat points or 63 points max per stat, with 1 leftover stat point and 2 'wasted' EV points). Going over this limit is only possible by use of external modification programs (Pokegen, Action Replay, etc.) and will only result in buggy Pokemon that may possibly damage your save file.

Quick math: 2 stats maxed = 252 per stat, with 6 extra for 1 other stat; 3 stats balanced = 170 per stat (or 168 in 2 stats and 174 in a 3rd so as not to lose that extra point).

Stats aren't only recalculated when leveling up; Gen V has much more sanity checking and is why you don't get the absurd +XX to a stat when EV training (like in gen 3/4).

Not uploading any "proof" that you are breaking the "510 limit" (or anything else) makes me skeptical of your claims.

Hi Kaphotics,

Can you Explain to me what you mean?

If I interpret correctly, here's my response to your statement:

I sent a Zekrom & Terrakion with Careful nature to my DS with the stats in screenshot from Clip1. Upon battling something that gave me EVs in ATK,HP & SpATK, all the stats instantly changed to those in Clip 2. Despite having 0 EVs at the start, the EVs automatically changed to 252. When Cheronprince told me of his theory, I simply backed off the EVs and used the 508 limit, because I was tired of having their ATK stats maxing out when I didnt' want them to(I wanted to make the game more difficult by having them do a lot less damage, but also take less.).

Clipboard01..jpg

Clipboard02..jpg

Clipboard01..jpg.6ba937705a8ae304c2a98eb

Clipboard02..jpg.92003e50be4ec046a893e9d