.pkm files won't open up in PokeGen?

GGmaster

Okay lets say I just made a pokemon and clicked Save Pokemon(From Tabs). It saves in a .pkm format but whenever I try to open up the file it says "Choose the program you want to open this file in" or something like that. So i look for PokeGen and click on it but whenever I do it still doesn't open up in PokeGen. Why is this happening?

P.S. I reinstalled the newest version of PokeGen multiple times to see if it fixed the problem but it didn't.

I just realized I could do that, thank you. But it still doesn't allow me to download the correct pokemon on my DS because it says "Not a valid PKM file for 5th Generation Games (Black/White)". Is there anyway to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thats not the problem. Like if I just create a new pokemon and save it, it doesn't save as opening in Pokegen. It saves as one of those blank file things that say something like "We can't find a file to open this up in, would you like to choose one?" When it asks me, I click open in Pokegen but for some reason its not allowing me too.

Thats not the problem. Like if I just create a new pokemon and save it, it doesn't save as opening in Pokegen. It saves as one of those blank file things that say something like "We can't find a file to open this up in, would you like to choose one?" When it asks me, I click open in Pokegen but for some reason its not allowing me too.

Not all programs work with that. I agree, Pokegen should be updated to support this, but for now you need to use File -> Open.

Not all programs work with that. I agree, Pokegen should be updated to support this, but for now you need to use File -> Open.

For the ignorant involved... dragging a file onto an exe is exactly the same as associating a file extension with an exe. Considering the former works with PokeGen, the latter does as well. If you're implying that PokeGen should automatically register .pkm files with Windows, that's rather invasive, and something that takes NO effort for the user to do themselves.

For the ignorant involved... dragging a file onto an exe is exactly the same as associating a file extension with an exe. Considering the former works with PokeGen, the latter does as well. If you're implying that PokeGen should automatically register .pkm files with Windows, that's rather invasive, and something that takes NO effort for the user to do themselves.

Sorry. I've been posting in this thread on a phone so I never actually tested that. Just tested it and it works. Now I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about. (I'll be sure to try it out next time.)

I sort of skimmed GGmaster's second post while paying attention to the first one. I was under the impression that Pokegen opened and the pkm didn't display.

Okay lets say I just made a pokemon and clicked Save Pokemon(From Tabs). It saves in a .pkm format but whenever I try to open up the file it says "Choose the program you want to open this file in" or something like that. So i look for PokeGen and click on it but whenever I do it still doesn't open up in PokeGen. Why is this happening?

P.S. I reinstalled the newest version of PokeGen multiple times to see if it fixed the problem but it didn't.

First you implied that Pokegen opened but didn't show the pkm, now you're saying that Pokegen didn't open at all. When asking for help, it's best to provide as much information as possible.

, there's no way i'm registering ".pkm" as a pokegen file automatically.

That's not what I meant. Never mind what I said, Pokegen does in fact support what I proposed (even though I didn't test for it).