Different Pokegen Functions

avdc90

Hi everyone, i have just a general question about pokegen...

Personally I don't use it but I saw a friend make a pokemon with a legit dreamworld ability by placing a '1' in the "extra trash bytes" section of the OT/Misc tab. Just out of curiosity I noticed the wide range of "bytes" available and that you could really input any number in that box next to it. I was just wondering, are there any other tricks like that that can "override" stuff in the game? Thanks.

I dunno what "stuff" you're worried about, but the data involved with PokeGen ONLY affects the generated Pokemon, nothing else in your game is affected. Well, you COULD over-right a Pokemon that already exists, by it being in the slot of your PC/party that it's being generated on... just don't put things in box 1, and you're totally safe.

Though, unless it's TRULY "legit", then you won't be able to use the Pokemon in certain things, such as tournaments or the online battling system (accessed via the Global Link stations in each Pokemon Center). In fact, that's the best way to test for them.

Oh, there is ONE major thing that can be affected: If you use the Pokedex Code feature to edit your Pokedex, and you have a Shiny Victini/Reshiram/Zekrom or any of Keldeo/Meloetta/Genosect as part of that (so they appear in the Dex), then you won't be able to use Game Synch to connect to the Dream World. (If you do, just use a different code that doesn't include any of them).

• 4 weeks later...
I dunno what "stuff" you're worried about, but the data involved with PokeGen ONLY affects the generated Pokemon, nothing else in your game is affected. Well, you COULD over-right a Pokemon that already exists, by it being in the slot of your PC/party that it's being generated on... just don't put things in box 1, and you're totally safe.

Though, unless it's TRULY "legit", then you won't be able to use the Pokemon in certain things, such as tournaments or the online battling system (accessed via the Global Link stations in each Pokemon Center). In fact, that's the best way to test for them.

Oh, there is ONE major thing that can be affected: If you use the Pokedex Code feature to edit your Pokedex, and you have a Shiny Victini/Reshiram/Zekrom or any of Keldeo/Meloetta/Genosect as part of that (so they appear in the Dex), then you won't be able to use Game Synch to connect to the Dream World. (If you do, just use a different code that doesn't include any of them).

With regards to your comment above about illegitimate Pokémon not working on certain things, this isn't strictly true. An illegitimate Pokémon can be made to work on all game features, including online ones, as long as it is legal. There is no 'check-box', per se, that tells whether or not a Pokémon is hacked, and if there was, it could be hacked. It's possible to take a legitimate Pokémon and then create a new Pokémon from scratch in PokéGen that perfectly matches all of the attributes of the legit Pokémon, and of course, it would be considered totally legal by all systems. If an illegitimate Pokémon is created well enough, it can be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Edit: It may also be relevant to note that even if a Pokémon isn't totally legal, it may still work on Random Matchup. I've often been successful using Pokémon in Random Matchup with Dream World abilities even if the Pokémon isn't yet obtainable in the Dream World whatsoever.

Apologies if you knew all this - the terms "legal" and "legit" can easily be confused.

• 1 month later...
The notion of the two words being different is idiotic. The source of the data is completely irrelevant. It only matters to people who can't get over the concept of data not having a "soul" attached to it.

I beg to differ. Wouldn't the source of data not coming from game events make it illegitimate in the eyes of VGC judges?