Mythology

Okami

I find it fascinating.

One of my favorite stories is that of Psyche and Eros.

I took a trip recently to the DIA and was found captivated by the art of Roman and Greek mythology especially. The way people envision the gods and goddesses of the age are amazing. Of course, art is something I am already highly appreciative of.

But seeing some of the pictures of Eros and Psyche, it's no wonder they're two of my favorites of mythology. The young girl, known as the 'goddess' of the mind, and the god of love and passion... The way they are captured in art is beautiful.

(You can read the story, here)

So, what characters of mythology and legend do you guys like the most and why?

Hehe, I don't find them to be "characters". All of them are very real to me. Especially...

My matron Goddess, Nyx! (I love you, my Lady!). Daughter of Chaos, Greek personification of Night. She is pretty much my everything, and keeps me going through life.

I won't explain all my other Goddesses, but I will name them.

Freyja, Arduinna, Isis, Morrígan, Hel, Brighid, Aphrodite, and many others.

As for Gods, Pan, Odin, Thor, Anubis, Zeus.

Edited by wraith89
Edited out unnecessary part

one of the most readily available sources of a huge wealth of traditional western mythology is called the bible. It is divided into two separate books and is very large.

I recommend you read through the Bible and compare it with actual mythology. They do NOT compare. The Bible has poems, laws, fulfilled prophecies... and history... heck, the history part has been proven correct by archaeology starting from Abraham's time (the Jewish Levites were meticulous history recorders).

I'm an avid reader of mythology... and I like so many things. Greek mythology tends to be my favorite. They were also the Greek's way of explaining many things... and one of their major themes was "balance"; they believed in the balance of good and evil.

There's just so many stories... it's really fun :P

Oh yes, Norse mythology gets a mention for being so dark and gloomy. Their gods are mortal. Perhaps the Mesopotamian mythology is even more darker... but I don't know.

As for the characters... many of them have really great flaws that stick like sore thumbs... like Zeus and his lust for women, Hera with her unreasonable jealous rage, et al... but I guess I like Demeter the best. She's a calm and nice motherly figure... I just like her. I don't know.

telos, try sacredtext.com or something... I don't know... I'm not good with finding sources of mythologies as there are many different versions of each stories (the account of Iphigenia's sacrifice comes into mind).

Ladies, gentlemen, please. This is NOT the debate forum! This was not what I had in mind when creating this thread! If it continues to be a fight, or going that way, Mods please close this thread.

Wraith, remember what Jesus told us. Keep it always in your mind. :] Remember always Revelation my dear friend~

Also, I think you guys might find this amusing...in my Dictionary of Psychology, I was reading a passage on Eros and how Sigmund Freud used it as the word in correspondence to the libido...anyways, at the bottom of every definition there is origins and whatnot and for Eros it said "Greek....daughter of Aphrodite."

Oh yes. I was rolling. Eros...the now castrated god of passion.

Edited by Okami
TYPO D:

Ladies, gentlemen, please. This is NOT the debate forum! This was not what I had in mind when creating this thread! If it continues to be a fight, or going that way, Mods please close this thread.

Wraith, remember what Jesus told us. Keep it always in your mind. :] Remember always Revelation my dear friend~

Also, I think you guys might find this amusing...in my Dictionary of Psychology, I was reading a passage on Eros and how Sigmund Freud used it as the word in correspondence to the libido...anyways, at the bottom of every definition there is origins and whatnot and for Eros it said "Greek....daughter of Aphrodite."

Oh yes. I was rolling. Eros...the now castrated god of passion.

-___-

All right, but I am a VERY mean person :P

Eros is sometimes the son of Aphrodite, and sometimes the lover of her, but usually the son. But seriously, daughter?! Freud did indeed screw up someplace...

Anyone read the story of Iliad and Odyssey? Please remember that the origin of Achilles' heel DID NOT originate from the Iliad!

Mina, please contribute to this topic if you're going to post. And PLEASE do NOT go nutso over volatile topics as such. Some people regard it as truth, others don't. We are talking about mythology (such as Greek and Norse and Egyptian, etc...) so tell us what you think about those before posting such useless statements as above. Thanks ;)

The story about Undine is VERY interesting. It was a story written in the medieval times, not in the B.C. era. Anyone read any versions of it?