Unfairly banned from irc

Today I went on the irc looking for help for Pokemon white and the entree. I had mentioned that I was playing on an emulator and was promptly banned and given the message "piracy is a big no no"

1. emulation≠piracy Everyone on this forum who knows about emulators should know this.

2. I live in a small town so no one I know has a copy of either Black or White.

3. I don't get out very often so I don't see the need to run my DS battery down and I prefer being on my computer.

4. I feel all forum and irc staff should assume, (at least if there is no mention of downloading a given rom during a conversation) that the person seeking help legally owns the game.

You do realize you are digging your own grave and there is a possibility you would get banned from our forum as well, since you say and i quote: ''I live in a small town so no one I know has a copy of either Black or White.'' You can play roms, that is fine as long as you have a legitamate copy of the original game purchased. Staff did no mistake banning you because playing on roms that are not made from you is considered illegal. Making a fuss of this will only end you a worse case for you.

Saying that you have a rom and real game does not usually mean what you think others are thinking. There is no way staff knew that you had a real copy of the game, even i don't since you didn't say it at first and that is vital information for your case. Needles to say, that won't help you anymore, probably...

Today I went on the irc looking for help for Pokemon white and the entree. I had mentioned that I was playing on an emulator and was promptly banned and given the message "piracy is a big no no"

Yes I did ban you. No, it was not unfair.

1. emulation≠piracy Everyone on this forum who knows about emulators should know this.

Nope, mate. As far as I or almost any other moderator on the IRC cares, unless you explicitly state that you manually ripped your own legal game, it's assumed that talking about "playing on an emulator" is an admission of piracy. Because in 99.9% of the cases, that's exactly what it is.

2. I live in a small town so no one I know has a copy of either Black or White.

I couldn't care less about that.

3. I don't get out very often so I don't see the need to run my DS battery down and I prefer being on my computer.

That's lovely.

4. I feel all forum and irc staff should assume, (at least if there is no mention of downloading a given rom during a conversation) that the person seeking help legally owns the game.

Your feelings have been acknowledged, and dismissed as wrong. We get tons of people who assume because we work with tools that deal with game data modification (which is easiest to do when you've got the files already on your computer from your pirated copy of the game) that we endorse piracy, and as such it is instead the default assumption on IRC (and presumably also on the forum) to assume that if it looks like piracy and smells like piracy, that it's begging for a banhammer.

Edited by Icehawk78