Rate my sandstorm team

Toffeuy

Okay, so i've recently started battling using PO and I want to know how good I actually am. I tend to win over half the time but I have no idea whether that is even considered good.

This is my team (totally made by me):

Spr_5b_248.png

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash

Ability: Sand Stream

Nature: Impish

EVs: 192 HP, 80 Atk, 60 Def, 152 SpD, 24 Spe

Earthquake

Stealth Rock

Pursuit

Ice Punch

I usually use Tyranitar as a lead. The EV distribution for her looks absurd, I know. The reason i've never changed it is because so far Tyranitar has never been lowered into using Focus Sash unless the opponent used a fighting-type move or a super-effective move with a high Atk/SpA pokemon. I normally don't mind sacrificing Tyranitar to set up Stealth Rocks (that is only unless the opponent has a pokemon which can cast a different weather). Pursuit is to fend off Gengar, that is unless Gengar has Focus Blast, and Ice Punch is mainly to fight Gliscor which is always switched in when i'm using Tyranitar. Earthquake acts as its normal attack.

Spr_5b_530.png

Excadrill @ Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

X-Scissor

Brick Break

Earthquake

Return (255 Happiness)

Not much to say about Excadrill, apart from the fact that it acts as my physical sweeper. Sand Rush doubles its speed and outspeeds almost everything. Brick Break is for the annoying Heatrans equipped with an Air Balloon. Earthquake is its STAB move, X-Scissor is used on the situation and for Cresselia, and Return is used as a back-up move.

Spr_5b_534.png

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb

Ability: Guts

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def

Mach Punch

Drain Punch

Earthquake

Payback

Up to now, Conkeldurr has always been very useful with its Attack and decent Def, being able to survive most physical attacks. If I switch this guy on Toxic or something, it really hurts alright. It then gets to sweep any pokemon without resistance to Fighting easily, at the cost of dying within 2-3 turns due to Life Orb Damage + Sandstorm + Poison. Mach Punch is its main move to back up its low speed. Drain Punch is for slower tanks such as Ferrothorn. Earthquake is its backup move and Payback is mainly used to fight Ghost-types.

Spr_5b_445_m.png

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Sand Veil

EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

Earthquake

Outrage

Brick Break

Fire Fang

Not much to say about this guy either, Earthquake and Outrage are its STAB attacks and Choice Scarf ensures it attacks before most other pokemon. Brick Break is backup and Fire Fang is to counter tanks such as Forretress and Ferrothorn.

Spr_5b_094.png

Gengar @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate

Nature: Modest

EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

Thunder

Sludge Bomb

Shadow Ball

Hidden Power Fire

Like all other Sandstorm teams, its greatest fears are Pokemon such as Abomasnow and Politoed. If a Politoed is switched in, I make sure that I use its rain against itself, that's right, 100% accuracy Thunder. Abomasnow can be killed by Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire. Hidden Power is also again used against walls such as Forretress. Shadow Ball is its STAB move if Sludge Bomb is ineffective against the opponent. This Gengar used to be a Timid Nature with Choice Band but it turned out so many pokemon outsped it that I decided to change to how it is now.

Spr_5b_377.png

Regirock @ Leftovers

Ability: Clear Body

Nature: Careful

EVs: 252 HP, 84 Def, 172 SpD

Rest

Toxic

Seismic Toss

Sleep Talk

What else do I need to say? It's a tank rest talker. Has Toxic and Seismic Toss to damage the opponent. It gets a great 50% increase in SpD due to Sandstorm and it is totally useless against Gengar. However, Scarf Garchomp's Outrage only manages to take away around 30% of Regirock's HP, which makes it an easy kill for me.

Okay, all is said now, rate my team, I accept crits and suggestions. I have a feeling i'm gonna get a lot of crits for this >.>

Hey Toff. I'm slightly busy, but I'll try to see your team in details. So expect this post to keep changing.

That Tyranitar is working for you? I mean, if I run a Focus Sash on Tyranitar, I'd put something like Counter on it so it can beat an Infernape using Close Combat or something, but for the most part, I'd say drop that Focus Sash. Instead, I'll share a Tyranitar I run which often surprises people (Tbird knows and has a love/hate relationship with it), but I'll adjust it so it fits your lead schematics.

Spr_5b_248.png

Sue (Tyranitar) (F) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers

Trait: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef

Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Stone Edge

- Crunch

- Dragon Tail / Roar

You can change the main attacks to whatever you want... but I'm leaving it as two STAB moves for now. With these EVs, Tyranitar can survive a lot of stuff, taking like 59.9% - 71.3% from a Timid Specs Starmie's Hydro Pump (Modest Specs does 65.8% - 77.7%), taking a + 1 Bug Buzz from Volcarona (Timid 55.4% - 65.8% at + 1, Modest 61.4% - 72.8% at + 1), and even an LO Focus Blast from Timid Gengar (84.2% - 99%, 64.4% - 76.2% without LO)! Choice Specs Chandelure does 34.7% - 41.1% with Energy Ball and 61.4% - 72.3% with Hidden Power Fighting while Crunch has a high chance to OHKO Chandelure, but with rocks that is guaranteed. Scarftran's Earth Power does 24.3% - 28.7%, and if you have Earthquake, Heatran will also be disposed of quite easily. You'd be quite surprised how bulky this thing turns out. And best of all, even with 0 Attack EVs, it CAN still OHKO the targets I've mentioned above! (Okay, Crunch does 96.9% - 115.3% to those Starmies, but if weakened or with Rocks on the field, that thing's long gone). 134 Atk really doesn't need the investment if you are playing utility role. Of course, Tyranitar will have trouble against regular bulky grounds or waters this way, but that's not what it's there for, but it can still take the hits well, still provide the Sand Stream you need, etc. Lum Berry can allow it to take one fatal status move, but you can go ahead and change it to Leftovers if you really hate the lack of recovery. Nonetheless, Tyranitar would really love Wish Support, so see if you can bring one out for it. That's right, it won't strictly be lead; you can bring it in whenever you feel like it and switch it out when you need to. You can move the Def EVs to Atk if you want to (which also ensures the OHKO on the Starmie). I had it like that originally to give a bit of more attack, but still, the lack of power compared to regular Tyranitars is noticeable.

If you are not going to run this Tyranitar, then you can try for a bait set. For one, Tyranitar has a plethora of attacks accessible for it. For one, it has a decent usable Special Attack, allowing it to nail in Gliscor switch ins or whatnot. Ice Punch isn't OHKOing Gliscor anytime soon; it's just a weak move otherwise, though it will nail stuff like Lati@s, but you have Crunch for them anyways. Fire Blast also works well vs stuff like Scizor or Steels in general that like to switch in. Usually, the opponent's first response is usually bulky ground or water, and the former can get nailed by Ice Beam for an easy OHKO-2HKO. I'm just brainstorming here, but I don't have a usable bait set yet, but Tyranitar certainly has the moves and the typing to become an easy bait. It also does not get OHKOd by anything in short of Fighting attacks or something like Megahorn from Heracross.

Excadrill is really begging for Swords Dance somewhere. With one safe switch-in, Excadrill can ravage through entire teams with a single Swords Dance, and tear them apart (late game once his checks are gone of course). I'd say replace Return for now, and with Stealth Rocks on the other side of the field, he can OHKO almost anything that isn't something like Skarmory or something. Speaking of Excadrill checks, who in your team can safely switch into Azumarill?

Change Garchomp to Jolly nature. I know you like the extra power Adamant has to offer, but that's not what it's for. It is mainly for revenging, and you need the + speed nature if you want to have Garchomp to revenge + 100s like a + 1 Salamence or something. Brick Break and Fire Fang a little lackluster for attacks, so I'd put in Stone Edge and Dragon Claw. Why Dragon Claw? Because you may want the versatility instead of attacking with Outrage outright, which can spell disaster if they bring in something to revenge Garchomp. Save Outrage for late game and use Dragon Claw earlier as the primary revenging attack with neutral coverage. Stone Edge + Earthquake provides great coverage together, but you can still stick to Fire Fang if you feel Steels ruin the day (Skarmory still laughs at Fire Fang regardless, 24.6% - 29.3% at physically defensive, 32.3% - 38.3% on those without any Defence EVs).

I am not entirely sure if Gengar fits in your team. You already have a revenger with Garchomp, and Gengar is further hampered by sand. Running Scarf on it can also handicap it. I really like the new Disable set (I tried it in Gen IV only to have it miss every time -_-) but again, Sub + sand = BAD. Still pondering about Gengar atm. And even if Gengar did work, remember that THUNDER works under very specific conditions. The sun and sand will reduce Thunder's accuracy to 50%, for example, and would otherwise be impractical. Sludge Bomb is Gengar's strongest attack, but the coverage it offers is poor, even though it does strike a lot of things neutrally, which is good, it is begging for a free switch in for Steel Pokemon, and others like Poisons, Rocks or Grounds are also resistant to Poison, which is pretty much a recipe for disaster. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast works very well because NOTHING is resistant to this combination, and Shadow Ball covers the needed STAB very well. But still, I don't like Gengar in this team; I'm just not seeing it function.

I don't have much time right now, but I'll come back to this and see what else you need. Cheers.

(Me? Rating a team? Preposterous!)

Edited by wraith89

Just going to add on to what Wraith said about gengar. Your team is strugg;ling with physical walls and would love some form of recovery. That being said, You can replace Regirock with Vaporeon for something to switch in safely on water focused attacks, and wish support. You could replace both gengar and regirock for a jellicent, as it functions as a goiod water check, has the ghost immunity and has enough speed to shut down some other walls, too. If you go the Jellicent route then I suggest adding ferrothorn in the 6th spot so you have something to destroy other waters. If Ferrothorn doesn't tickle your fancy you can run Rotom-W as it makes for a great anti rain pokemon. If your adamant about gar I strongly suggest the sub/split set as that will aid in your team knocking down walls. Tyranitar this generation still functions as a great wall breaker by the way, so running specially defencive Tyranitar or any MixTar should help you out.

TL DR. Either switch Regirock for bulky vaporeon, replace Gengar and Regirock for Jellicent and Ferrothorn or Rotom-W. + everything that Wraith Said.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, and wraith, what's so preposterous? I thought you always rated teams.

Just a question: If I replace Return with Swords Dance, wouldn't a Salamence or Gyarados just end my sweep? So what pokemon should I get to counter those two? Or do I stick with my Tyranitar? (if it's not already dead...)

EDIT: Also, I need suggestions for the moveset of Jellicent since I know nothing about it...

EDIT 2: So now i've applied the changes for Tyranitar (I kept the name Sue ;)), Excadrill and Garchomp that wraith suggested. I also took Tbird's advice in switching Gengar + Regirock for Jellicent + Rotom-W. Now I need to know am I using those two right. I came up with movesets but I don't think they were very bright ideas:

Spr_5b_593_f.png

Jellicent @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb

Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

EVs: 196 HP, 96 Def, 216 SpD (I have a feeling the Def EVs shouldn't be there)

Will-O-Wisp

Toxic

Hex (I'm thinking if Night Shade should go here instead)

Recover

479W.png

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate

Nature: Timid

EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

Hydro Pump

Thunderbolt

Volt Switch (I also have a feeling I don't need this considering i'm running Choice Scarf)

Shadow Ball

Okay, so suggestions for those two are also preferred.

Always rated teams? You lie!

Oh, stopped by Salamence/Gyarados?

+ 1 Rock Slide (Swords Dance + Intimidate) + LO vs:

Gyarados: 131.7% - 155.3%

Bulky Gyarados: 105.4% - 124.3%

Salamence: 129.9% - 153.5%

Misses on any: one destroyed Excadrill

Forgot to mention to replace Brick Break with Rock Slide. I thought you had Rock Slide :/

The choice is between Brick Break or X-Scissor on that other slot. But having Rock Slide + Earthquake is almost a must.

The thing is, most people go 252 HP/252 SpDef Calm on Jellicent. I don't quite agree with that though as that leaves it open for physical attacks, despite its access to Will-o-Wisp. I er... had this set for Jellicent...

Spr_5b_593_f.png

Victoria (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 72 SAtk / 144 SDef

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Scald

- Ice Beam

- Toxic

- Recover

I know it's not the best set or whatever, but I'm only showing you what I have. Scald is a water move that has 30% chance of burn, acting SOMEWHAT like a less accurate Will-o-Wisp that does damage. Ice Beam is there for Grasses/Dragons/all the other popular Ice weak Pokemon out there. Toxic for Toxicing, and Recover, of course, is always useful. I had the EVs so I can take a Shadow Ball from Chandelure and OHKO with Scald w/ SR on their side of the field in return. I know it's specific, but at least she has enough SpDef and some Def EVs to be almost like a Tentacruel, taking both sides of the spectrum better than what she should normally. You can replace Ice Beam with STAB Shadow Ball or have Will-o-Wisp instead of Scald and have Surf as well. Taunt is also another good option, in fact, I would recommend it in case something like a Blissey or Reuniclus wants to ruin your day. Or go the lazy way and 252 HP/252 SpDef Calm... but I really like it having BOTH defences covered somewhat so something stupid like + 2 LO Thunderpunch from Ape won't OHKO. Mind you, that sand will negate the Leftovers recovery, so play her carefully.

What? My Blissey is also named Victoria? Yeah er... pretend you never knew that!

I have to leave... again. I'll see what I can get later.

So one piece of advice I have is to give something else on your team the move Sandstorm, or switch in something with Sandstream. The only threats on your team rely on their being a sandstorm going, and if your opponent's lead has Mold Breaker (lead Haxorus is going to start being more and more common), you are essentially SOL.

Mold breaker doesn't stop the sand. It stops the opponent's ability from effecting the effectiveness of the user's attack. IE Mold breaker EQ will hit Levitate bronzong.

Putting sandstorm on a pokemon would also be a stupid thing to do.

For Jellicent you want max HP, 72 speed, and the rest however you want. I usually just slam it in the special defence.

Move set I suggest is:

-Recover

-Taunt

-Scald / Will o wisp

-Ice Beam / Toxic / Surf

Basically, the speed added means she is able to outspeed and taunt most walls and stuff so it can shut down a lot of things like Ferrothorn and I believe Skarmory, too.

The move choice is down to preference. At 75% chance of hitting, will o wisp is pretty much = to a completely accurate 30% chance of scald burn, so you may aswell just run Scald. ice beam nails dragons and gliscor if you can catch them on the switch. Toxic means it can beat other bulky waters and surf is there if you decide to run will o wisp over scald.

Edited by wraith89
WoW is 75% accurate :|

Ok, thanks so now my Jellicent has Recover, Scald, Toxic and Hex. I decided to keep Hex because I really needed an attack to counter the now ever common Flame Orb Sigilyph, Conkeldurr's payback can usually 1HKO it but Conkeldurr is frail in its SpD and usually dies before I reach walls such as Sigilyph. I chose Scald because yesterday when I tested out my new team, it took on average 3 Will-O-Wisps to burn the opponent... After changing my team, I am realising the difference already, so thanks to you who offered help.

And also, @vashaurion: I don't think Haxorus is a very common lead, I hardly even see it being used at all...

EDIT: I have problems with Swamperts and Gastrodons now, any suggestions?

Edited by Toffeuy