Editing Moves

Abacus

Heya,

I found that PPRE wouldn't let me save any changes to moves that I had made (ex. changing Thunder Fang from 65 to 75 base power). I recall hearing somewhere that I'd need to edit the ROM's hex values in order to do that - which is something that I haven't the faintest idea how to do. Any kind souls willing to help me out?

Thanks!

Okay, so I downloaded Attack Editor DS, only to find that it doesn't work on Platinum. I've heard that it's possible to edit moves on D/P and then transfer the move data to a Platinum ROM. I can edit my Diamond version's moves (though after I click "save" and exit the Attack Editor, the moves revert to their original state when I re-enter it). So:

1: How do I get the modifications to attacks to stay in place, or do they already do that to the ROM without changing on the Attack Editor menu?

2: The bigger question; what programs do I download and how do I use them to replace my Platinum attack data with the modded Diamond data?

Thanks!

Heh, I thought that my Search-Fu was stronger, but I somehow managed to miss that thread - thanks for pointing it out! It solved my first problem: the Attack Editor that Aninymouse linked to worked where my old one didn't.

As for the 2nd issue - transferring the modded attacks from the Diamond rom to Platinum one - I've had a bit more of a problem. I tried Nitro Explorer 2 first, and couldn't find the narc file that Aninymouse spoke of (waza_tbl.narc) in order to transfer. The only "waza" file had no "tbl" in it, as you can see in the attached thumbnail. Am I looking in the wrong place, or do I have the wrong version of Nitro Explorer?

And as for using PPRE to directly transfer the modded attacks, I'm a bit confused. Is there a way to make a folder containing nothing but the attack data from Diamond and use it to replace the one in Platinum? If not, would you mind elaborating on how it "places them in a folder?"

This is all new territory for me, so I'm grateful for every little drop of wisdom that you can all provide.

Edit: Never mind, I think I got it. I found waza_tbl.narc for Diamond, and replaced the pl_waza_tbl.narc in the Platinum folder with it. It's worth noting that the Platinum folder had both a 2 files - a "waza" and a "pl_waza" - and I deleted them both to make room for the edited Diamond file. Here's to hoping that this doesn't cause any problems.

NitroExplorer.jpg

NitroExplorer.jpg.70f301ef9c9b3e0377503b

Edited by Abacus

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, another embarrassingly newbie problem has cropped up for me. I managed to get the Attack Editor up and working, and successfully modded a Diamond ROM then transferred the relevant narc to a Platinum game. My Platinum team is now rocking some neato modded attacks.

However, I then tried to modify several attacks on my HG game in the same manner, with no luck whatsoever. It was easy enough to replace the (Platinum) pl_waza_tbl.narc with the (Diamond) waza_tbl.narc, but I can't figure how to make it fit into Heart Gold's a/0/1/1. NitroExplorer2B didn't work for me for whatever reason, and the only other solution that I could think of was to directly copy/paste the narc from the Diamond to the HG folder. I'd have been more than a little surprised if that second method actually DID work :frown:

So, any kind words of wisdom for a newbie?

in diamond/pearl (the only games it works with), its waza_tbl.narc. if your destination for the file is Platinum, then it's called the same thing pl_waza_tbl.narc.

in hg/ss, it's located at a/0/1/1

Just use PPRE to replace them by renaming them.

Just posting to say that you don't have to rename the narc files; the ROM will automatically "rename" them when they put into place.

Just reinsert into the proper location. Nitro Explorer automatically saves the changes, Crystal Tile 2 prompts you to save, but regardless...