Pokemon Soul Silver Plus

RyouChan

What should Whitney's 5th Pokemon be?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What should Whitney's 5th Pokemon be?

• Wigglytuff
    • Chansey
    • Delcatty
    • Lopunny
    • Other (Post)

Starters ARE female more often, at least the Johto ones. I figured I'd make it less of a pain to breed them so they're 50/50 now.

I think Gligar might be a good counter for electrics while keeping the "Johto" flavor and also accomplishing that other goal of letting Chikorita like.. do something. I totally forgot that you can get that small patch of grass before route 32 and find Mareep. (Geodude in Dark Cave is useful for a Falkner counter too, though I did it with my Cyndaquil and a Pidgey and freaking Tailow kept 2hkoing both of them and then roosting heh). And then I can make Pidgeotto his lead-in. Give it an anti-water berry to troll Totodile with a little and that might be fun. Pidgeotto gets Mud Slap back, I forget why I took it off in the first place (I'd left it on Pidgey too).

Gligar was also the first thing that popped into my mind, but it's not a bird, and I prefer if Falker kept his " i liek burds!!1!1!!one!!1!" persona. Along with high attack and speed, Gligar is also fond of poison-type moves, so Chikorita may get trashed regardless. Swablu has lower stats, so I found it more appropriate for the first gym. On a side note, I totally agree with any anti-Totodile modifications.

I think a lot of people tend to underestimate how useful feedback from others is. People notice so many things that I might forget, like I totally didn't even remember that rt.32 stuff was available before Falkner, and since everyone is going to be playing with something different, everyone's going to have had a different experience with the difficulty.

I think that patch of grass should be left there but, perhaps some of the levels lowered? Is there a way to lower the levels in that patch alone? You can find lvl10 Ekans/Mareep/Bellsprout just as your own Pokemon are hitting lvls 11/12 from Bellsprout tower. Though, I suppose, this makes it easier to pick up another Pokemon before the gym without too much grinding.

Spinarak and Ledyba are both a pain to find and take down, so they should both give 2 EVs as of next patch (tonight if I keep up the motivation, I just beat whitney myself).

I approve!I'm a fan of EV training during the main storyline, even if people suggest its wasted effort.

I found the rocket leader in the Slowpoke Well a bit harder than Bugsy, so I'm also curious to see if you find the same thing.

I just got into Azalea town now, so I'll let you know in a little bit.

The difficultly depends on the Pokemon types, so I'll likely find Bugsy more bothersome only because I'm at a disadvantage.

I've also noticed you seem to be a fan of water types. The beginning routes are filled with a large variety of water-type hybrids, as well as a starter.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try a Gligar that has Faint Attack as his main move, as I don't think it's super effective against anything that anyone would be using and it's non-STAB. A ground-type move that's weaker (I think I picked Sand Tomb to test with the current patch) and a stall move (Double Team or Sand Attack) + filler, so that way Chikorita should be able to keep up just by draining enough HP with Mega Drain, as long as the trainer is careful to get Chikorita in before it traps something with Sand Tomb, but it's not a free kill either. I'll try it some time and make sure it's not OHKOing it or anything. It's level 14, so not as high as Pidgeotto or Taillow. It should be less damage than Taillow's Wing Attack on neutral targets.

): I'm sad it's not a bird too. There are unfortunately no flying types that actually resist or are immune to electric.. and none besides Zapdos that might be a candidate for getting Volt Absorb.

Unfortunately the levels for that patch are the same as for the route, and editing it changes all the grass. I don't really have the skill (or know if it's even possible) to cut the area in half there, so I suppose not having to tromp through really low leveled stuff after the gym was the lesser or two evils.

I like water types, and some areas like Route 32 (and slowpoke well) seemed like a good home for some of them due to the large amounts of standing water, and Wooper already being there. I also didn't really like how Water types were ignorable for most of the game since you wouldn't run into many if any unless you fished, until you got surf. There are also a disproportionately large number of water Pokemon, and trying to fit all 493 Pokemon into the game makes a LOT of waters. I suppose it makes grass Pokemon less of a pain to level too.

I guess another part of it is to offer starter "alternatives." Water types over Totodile, if you didn't pick him.

Cyndaquil is a bit different, since Fire Pokemon are very easy to replace with Flying Pokemon due to redundant coverage against Bug and Grass and the relative rarity of Steel and Fighting Pokemon in the early zones. And by the time you start seeing many Steel Pokemon, lots of fires are available..

Such as Growlithe, Vulpix, Charmander, Torchic, and Numel in some of the routes before Morty.

I don't really worry about grass types as much either due to semi-redundant coverage by water types, and because there were already grass types readily available.

Swablu still works, though its not Jhoto. Here's what I dislike about Gligar though:

Faint Attack (physical/dark) 1HKOs even an over-leveled Gastly (available in Bellsprout tower)

Totodile still owns it with water-type attacks

It negates the usefulness of Poison/Bug attacks, which are very common at the beginning

It's not a bird. (-sadface-)

It's purple, yet not part Poison(or Psychic), madness!

That's all I've got with Gligar, but yeah. I'm past that now, so it doesn't affect me as much anymore. The water-types are understandable, but there are too many to chose from, and I don't which to use for my party, haha. Fire-types are mostly unneeded in the beginning, as Steel and Ice types are rare.

I find that Chikorita easily out-levels my other Pokemon despite its lack of usefulness in the first two gyms only because the amount of water/rock types in the beginning. From Violet City to Azelea Town, my Chikorita leveled from 14 to 22 rather quickly. This let me pick its battles (thus EV gains) much more easily than going through forced gym battles with it. I'm not too hung up on increasing its usefulness in the first gym, merely because there are so many alternative sources of experience.

Also, I really like that you've made Team Rocket capable. They have decent AIs now, and higher levels. I could actually imagine commoners having something to fear. A "scary" Rocket Grunt with a level 7 Zubat that spammed leech-life just didn't seem fierce in the original. The Rocket Admin was rather challenging, especially his Arbok,, though, Flaffy+ ShellBell = SuperTank

Here's an idea for your next hacks:

Pokemon Serpent Silver: you play through as a Team Rocket member, have missions, wear the (already ingame) Team Rocket uniform, and maybe even go up in ranks, from Grunt to Admin, etc.

Pokemon Honorable Gold: you play through as a Pokemon Police member, have missions, wear the Police uniform, and maybe even go up in ranks, etc.

That's completely unrelated though, so don't worry about it until you finish this hack, haha.

Swablu still works, though its not Jhoto. Here's what I dislike about Gligar though:

Faint Attack (physical/dark) 1HKOs even an over-leveled Gastly (available in Bellsprout tower)

Totodile still owns it with water-type attacks

It negates the usefulness of Poison/Bug attacks, which are very common at the beginning

It's not a bird. (-sadface-)

It's purple, yet not part Poison(or Psychic), madness!

I was thinking about how all the Poison and Psychic types are purple (or pink) the other day, when I was considering giving Ho-Oh a Psychic subtype (I didn't). I was just like, well wait, it's not purple!

Forgot about Gastly, again a good call. There are actually 3 other ghosts in the tower now too if you look hard enough. o:

I suppose I'll revert that in the next patch.

That's all I've got with Gligar, but yeah. I'm past that now, so it doesn't affect me as much anymore. The water-types are understandable, but there are too many to chose from, and I don't which to use for my party, haha. Fire-types are mostly unneeded in the beginning, as Steel and Ice types are rare.

I picked Tentacool, but I'm weird like that.

I find that Chikorita easily outlevels my other Pokemon despite its lack of usefulness in the first two gyms only because the amount of water/rock types in the beginning. From Voilet City to Azelea Town, my Chikorita leveled from 14 to 22 rather quickly. This let me pick its battles (thus EV gains) much more easily than going through forced gym battles with it. I'm not too hung up on increasing its usefulness in the first gym, merely because there are so many alternative sources of experience.

Also, I really like that you've made Team Rocket capable. They have decent AIs now, and higher levels. I could actually imagine commoners having something to fear. A "scary" RocketGrunt with a level 7 Zubat that spammed leech-life just didn't seem fierce in the original. The Rocket Admin was decently challanging, though, Mareep+ ShellBell = SuperTank

Glad you had fun with that. I always thought it was weird that no one in the town would chase out the randoms running around with Pokemon way lower level than the gym in the town. I was like, wouldn't Bugsy or any of the gym trainers or like.. maybe a slowpoke have kicked them out by now??

Here's an idea for your next hacks:

Pokemon Serpent Silver: you play through as a Team Rocket member, have missions, wear the (already ingame) TeamRocket uniform, and maybe even go up in ranks, from Grunt to Admin, etc.

Pokemon Honorable Gold: you play through as a Pokemon Police member, have missions, wear the Police uniform, and maybe even go up in ranks, etc.

That's completely unrelated though, so don't worry about it until you finish this hack, haha.

I have a feeling Bugsy will be too easy for supermareep too. *shiftyeyes*

Maybe it needs its base stats reverted until it evolves into.. pink fluffy thing. Or maybe I need to replace Falkner's Ledian with something that doesn't have a sub-flying, because it brings him up to three flyers with Scyther and Butterfree. Maybe Ariados? .. Wormadam (Ground)?

Edit: New patch up, Mareep's defenses have been toned down a bit (still more than they were in the original) until the Ampharos stage.

To get the new stats, you'll have to deposit it into the PC and then withdraw, or just wait for it to level up I believe.

Just a little minipatch.

As of the next major one though, Falkner should have Swablu, because, well, it was a good idea and Swablu is basically adorable.

I would replace Ledian with Ariados, and Wormadam. Seeing as he's the self-proclaimed bug expert, he should have more types. Six may seem like a bit much, but it IS a gym leader. Maybe they should all just have 6? That'd make it a challange. Maybe a Heracross too? It just seems like something he'd use. Shuckle seems like it'd be too easy for a Gastly or Ariados with Night Shade and Tododile with its water moves.

Maybe Mareep should have slightly lowered physical defense until it evolves at least. Flaffy is very "pwnsome", haha.

EDIT: Glad you took my suggestion!You did edit it into part dragon though, right? I'm glad you gave in into my suggestion haha. I find Swablu likeable also. My Flaffy will be slightly less godly, but I'm alright with that.

I gotta figure out what the form #s are for Wormadam real quick.

I'm not sure if Sandy or Leaf cloak Wormadam would be more fun, Sandy for electrics or Leaf for Totodile. I guess /Grass also resists electric, but I don't think it'd threaten Mareep or Elekid/Electabuzz much.

Heracross is a good Pokemon. I'm not sure if he's "too" good but I don't think it'd be too much to ask of someone, to have a Flying type to use by this point in the game. I mean, I'm pretty sure it dies to Peck because of the 4x weak. I guess we don't know until we try!

Let me go fool around with his stuff some.

Edit: Yeah, Swablu will get to start out as part Dragon.

Haha, I'll hold off fighting him until you finish this patch then. I like a good challenge after all.

Also, looking ahead, perhaps Whitney should have a Decality and/or Teddiursa, it seems to fit her image.

I think form 1 is Sand, I'm going to put up a patch real quick on this post, and can you let me know which form this makes his Wormadam (whenever you get a second)? I don't have a save that's near Bugsy right now. x.x

I'm assuming you use the AP version, since it's an R4.

patch 085 and a half with AP.rar

patch 085 and a half with AP.rar

Haha, I'm was just playing Vindictus myself. How odd <<

Anyhow, I'll just test it with the one you posted. It sometimes randomly freezes, but I'll make it to test the boss.

I'll post my results in a bit.

Edit: You got the right one. Electric-types didn't affect it. He sent it out right after I 1-shot his Scyther with thundershock.

Edit2: Just a suggestion but, considering that Ninetales supposedly has strange powers and lives thousands of years, shouldn't it be part ghost or something? Fire/Ghost type would be pretty awesome anyhow.

Edited by Sogard

Ninetales isn't limit to being part- psychic though. The psychic moves Vulpix/Ninetales learns (Hypnosis, Imprisonment, Extrasensory, etc) are common to many ghost-types too. It also learns Confuse Ray, Grudge, Spite, and Ominous Wind as ghost moves, in addition to a large amount of dark-type moves. There are already quite a few psychic hybrids already available (Slowpoke, Golduck, Celebi?, etc) before you can catch Vulpix.

Anyway, how's the patch coming along? I hope you find the time to get it in!

You should try to log more of the changes this time around, so people realize how much work/effort you're putting into this. I'll try to summarize it for you, but I'm not aware of everything you're doing, so add whatever I missed to it.

(just hit quote then copy/paste this):

Patch 0.8.5

- Ledyba gives 2 Sp. D EVs and Spinarak gives 2 Atk EVs.

- Spinarak has the ability Immunity (in place of Swarm) or Insomnia.

- Bug type is now resistant to bug-type attacks.

- Falker's team has been updated for type coverage.

- Bugsy's team has been updated for type coverage.

- Mareep and Flaaffy have had their defenses slightly debuffed until becoming Ampharos.

- Ninetales is now part (psychic or ghost, your choice)

- The Eeveelutions received a much deserved move-set update. See chart below:

eeveelutions.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

On another topic, You should consider changing the name of this hack, and maybe slight editing the title screen if you get the time. Maybe name it "Pokemon Soul Silver Severe"? It makes the title screen editing easy too. Just add, in big cracked block letters (red with black outline/cracks) the word "Severe" under "Silver" on the title screen. Perhaps make Lugia's eyes glow red too.

It'd seem more intimidating and professional in my opinion.

Edited by Sogard

I also sort of dislike the idea of something evolving INTO a ghost type, since that sort of gives the impression that you killed Vulpix with the Fire Stone. Maybe I'd change its evolution method to Dusk Stone instead, or allow Vulpix to start out part ghost. Oh, and if it's to be part Psychic or part Ghost, I think it needs a fitting alternate ability. Super Luck is sort of a traditional Dark-type ability, but I think that might be fun.

I think the only thing that (sort of) evolves into a ghost is Nincada's leftover shell turning into Shedinja, but then that IS an old left over dead shell.

Haven't edited the type chart yet, mostly because I'm cautious to do so, and want to consider all the advantages/disadvantages first. I guess Bugsy's entire team automatically resisting bug wouldn't be too big of a deal since it's far enough in the game, but, I'm still not sure. I gave a lot of things extra bug-type moves as coverage moves for Psychic/Dark and not sure how it would affect the value of those moves. So that's sort of on the to-do/maybe list. Also at the beginning, training your Bug type Pokemon in that area would be incredibly difficult, since your Caterpie would be NVE against every random Weedle you run into, who carries 30bp Poison Sting.. ><

That's a cute naming idea, I like the alliteration. Unfortunately I'm no artist and drawing letters is sort of beyond my "I made a stick figure" skills.

(I mean, I could use an MS paint font, but what fun is that?)

I figured my current name could allow me to eventually draw..

*drumroll*

A plus sign. +

(It's a working title really, Soul-Silver-Except-Stuff-Might-Actually-Beat-You-Oh-And-You-Can-Find-More-Pokemon-And-Don't-Have-To-Trade-And-Stuff-Gets-Better-Movesets-Now-Etc just didn't fit in the title field for the forum)

The main reason I forget to log things is that I usually don't do the whole patch at once, like I might be playing the game in the evening, run into something, like "I really wish x got a y-type move here" or "this trainer still has the retarded AI" or whatnot, I'll go edit it real quick (my personal copy is what patches get made from), fall asleep, maybe do the same thing the next night. I do, however, plan on releasing a full list after the hack is mostly complete, detailing what routes all Pokemon can be found on and some other things. A guide, basically. It should also have all the ability changes and everything that's in the first post.

I'll get the one that I gave you earlier up on the front, since it's basically finished now. Should be up by tonight.

And once I actually get time to play through to Morty his stuff is probably going to be changed a lot.

Oh, and including the image with the Eevee sets is a good idea, even though it's incomplete at the bottom.

Patch .8.6 is up! I'd suggest not beating Morty yet once you get there since he will be changed after I get to fight him a few times. Or at least I'd suggest not saving if you do.

Edited by RyouChan

Haven't edited the type chart yet, mostly because I'm cautious to do so, and want to consider all the advantages/disadvantages first. I guess Bugsy's entire team automatically resisting bug wouldn't be too big of a deal since it's far enough in the game, but, I'm still not sure. I gave a lot of things extra bug-type moves as coverage moves for Psychic/Dark and not sure how it would affect the value of those moves. So that's sort of on the to-do/maybe list. Also at the beginning, training your Bug type Pokemon in that area would be incredibly difficult, since your Caterpie would be NVE against every random Weedle you run into, who carries 30bp Poison Sting.. ><

Well, bug is still decent against other types, and Dark/Psychic still are still weak to them. Only bug/dark and bug/psychic types, and Pokemon like Paras, who is a bug already and shouldn't be weak to it, would lose that weakness.

Weedle, being part poison, is already resistant to bug though. Caterpie would have to use tackle or flail regardless.

The advantages outweigh the potential unbalacings in my opinion

The main reason I forget to log things is that I usually don't do the whole patch at once, like I might be playing the game in the evening, run into something, like "I really wish x got a y-type move here" or "this trainer still has the retarded AI" or whatnot, I'll go edit it real quick (my personal copy is what patches get made from), fall asleep, maybe do the same thing the next night. I do, however, plan on releasing a full list after the hack is mostly complete, detailing what routes all Pokemon can be found on and some other things. A guide, basically. It should also have all the ability changes and everything that's in the first post.

That's the logical way to patch things and find mistakes but, instead of releasing it after every small update, maybe log the change on a notepad document and release a single updated version once a good amount of changes have been done. As for the large list of changes near the end, you should section off base-stat changes as well, instead of just underlining them or whatever.

Also, for Ninetales, I recommend a small buff to its special attack. It's now a Fire/Ghost type that requires a stone to evolve, yet in only has 86 Sp. Atk? That's leaps and bounds below what it's offensive stat should be when you compare it to Pokemon like Charizard, Gengar, Arcanine, Magmar, Flareon, Banette, Dusknior, and so on.

Regarding the title screen editing, I'm pretty sure you can download any font for Paint/Gimp/Photoshop and just type it in.

Don't worry about Morty, I'm not even past the 3rd gym yet. I haven't had time to play at all the past day and such. Too busy with projects/finals for this semester.

Ninetales has 110 SpA in the patch that was just relased. It also has slightly more HP but slightly less SpD so its defenses are more even.

The major base stat changes should be documented entirely at the end, but some of them are pretty uh..

Insignificant.

Like there are Pokemon that have 85 instead of 83 of something and then 75 instead of 73 of something else.

Ah, very nice. It makes Ninetales worth using. It also makes Morte more dangerous, assuming he gets one.

Did Charizard receive any stat changes too? Considering its typing, it's mere109 base Sp. Atk and 100 base Speed are its only notable stats. For a Dragon, that's pretty low.

Perhaps leave the special attack at 110 and give it more physical attack in return? Some of its best dragon and fire moves are physical after all.

The three original starters as well as much of the 1st generation seem a tad underpowered with the newer generations of Pokemon. Maybe a re-balance for them all?

I'm not about Venusaur, so I'll leave that up to you entirely.

But for Blastiose (HP 79 Atk 83 Def 100 Sp.Atk 85 Sp.Def 105 Speed 78), I was thinking something along the lines of:

HP 90 Atk 90 Def 120 Sp.Atk 90 Sp.Def 110 Speed 65

I think Squirtle/Wartortle should have a speed boost too. Since they're small and more mobile.

Charizard HP 78 Atk 84 Def 78 Sp.A 109 Sp.D 85 Speed 100

Could be: HP 80 Atk 110 Def 70 Sp.A 120 Sp.D 80 Speed 100

It'd be a slightly weaker but faster version of Blaziken, who originally has 120 Atk 110 Sp.Atk, and 80 Speed

Ah, very nice. It makes Ninetales worth using. It also makes Morte more dangerous, assuming he gets one.

Did Charizard receive any stat changes too? Considering its typing, it's mere109 base Sp. Atk and 100 base Speed are its only notable stats. For a Dragon, that's pretty low.

Perhaps leave the special attack at 110 and give it more physical attack in return? Some of its best dragon and fire moves are physical after all.

The three original starters as well as much of the 1st generation seem a tad underpowered with the newer generations of Pokemon. Maybe a re-balance for them all?

I'm not about Venusaur, so I'll leave that up to you entirely.

But for Blastiose (HP 79 Atk 83 Def 100 Sp.Atk 85 Sp.Def 105 Speed 78), I was thinking something along the lines of:

HP 90 Atk 90 Def 120 Sp.Atk 90 Sp.Def 110 Speed 65

I think Squirtle/Wartortle should have a speed boost too. Since they're small and more mobile.

Charizard HP 78 Atk 84 Def 78 Sp.A 109 Sp.D 85 Speed 100

Could be: HP 80 Atk 110 Def 70 Sp.A 120 Sp.D 80 Speed 100

It'd be a slightly weaker but faster version of Blaziken, who originally has 120 Atk 110 Sp.Atk, and 80 Speed

The starters from other generations will be balanced as individual Pokemon rather than in comparison to Johto starters, since they don't involve choice (anymore) and don't have a major effect on gameplay like what starter you pick at the beginning.

However, Charizard has had major improvements to moves and its new typing, with Levitate, is a fantastic defensive typing for a fire Pokemon, so I find him fine as is, for the moment, at least.

Fire cancels the weakness to Ice, Dragon cancels weakness to Water, losing Flying means he's no longer Electric weak at all, and actually resists it, Ground immunity, 4x Grass resist, 4x Fire resist, his only weaknesses are Rock and Dragon.

He's been changed a bit so that his movepool gives him the ability to focus on special attacks more easily, if you so desire, while still providing physical attacks for a mixed set. For example, he is expected to get Draco Meteor and Heat Wave/ Fire Blast at a high level, but he also still has Flare Blitz (and it's level up instead of egg) and learns Outrage naturally. Charmander's first dragon move is the special Dragonbreath. He gets Earth Power as a viable Earthquake substitute via move tutor.

So while he might look mostly unchanged, I consider him to have been heavily buffed already, so I'm going to see how it plays out for Charizard. He was always a good Pokemon ingame, just delicate due to weaknesses and lacking in movepool like most fires. He might get slightly more attack.

I do agree that Blastoise needed a bit more to get along with more modern bulky waters though. I'm not sure yet if that will come in the form of more defenses, more moves (he has Iron Defense as a level up now instead of just tutor, which helps, and some others), or simply more threatening offensive stats that give him a better chance of killing things while his defenses hold. I think one of the main reasons Swampert is better is because he has an actually-threatening 110 base attack to work with. Blastoise is very very tanky already, but just, not very threatening with neither attack stat over 85.

I'm avoiding giving non-legendary and non-pseudolegendary Pokemon base stat totals above 550, which is close to Arcanine and above such powerful mons as Gyarados (540), Blissey (540), Infernape -and technically all other fire starters besides Blaziken- (534), Alakazam (490), Miltank (490), and am more focused (currently) on Pokemon like say.. Parasect (405) being functional.

Make the biggest losers functional first, then worry about the ones that were already okay and totally usable but slightly lacking compared to the most common competitive Pokemon of their archetype.

Though, all starters from every gen have had their movepools at least briefly picked over and been given new treats.

Here are a few of them:

New/changed moves have a dot next to them, in varying colors with my awesome paint skills. They're not super different, but they get some more coverage moves.

Sceptilemove.png

Grovyle evolves into Sceptile at 42 and gains the dragon subtype, and immediately gets Dragon Claw for STAB. Mega Drain replaced Absorb and Outrage was moved out of being a tutor move.

venusaurmove.png

Synthesis gets moved down for early healing ability, and he now gets constant Ground coverage, starting at Mud Slap, then Mud Bomb, then Earthquake, which, for some reason, isn't marked. He also gets Sludge for a poison STAB and Sludge Bomb later with no TM. One major goal for these is to require less TM babysitting.

Meganiummove.png?t=1290984126

Mega Drain over Razor Leaf, and Chikorita's line has increased Special Attack to make it the dominant attacking type. Ancientpower in the 20s helps Chikorita fight birds, bugs, and fire Pokemon. Counter is a great move for a bulky Pokemon like Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium (was an egg move before), Energy Ball over Petal Dance for consistent damage, SolarBeam comes earlier and Leaf Storm is in its old slot. Natural Earthquake allows you to save your TM if you want to wait until a high level for it.

typhlosionmove.png?t=1290984315

Fighting coverage has been worked into its moveset from the egg moves to help deal with Rock types and provide coverage. Mud Slap replaces Smokescreen to lower accuracy while also doing damage at the same time, and to prevent Cyndaquil from accuracy stalling Falkner (you'll have to catch another Pokemon to use that strat basically). Extrasensory has been moved in from egg moves near the end for more type variety and his omgsecretmove is Thunderpunch from the move rememberer instead of the useless Gyro Ball, saving you a ton of BP or whatnot if you so choose.

These are just some sneak peaks but rest assured that all starters are getting love, but it's more likely to be in the form of moves and abilities than raw stats except in the case of the two Johto starters not named Feraligatr, who were buffed just a bit to be as good as him.

no$gba, I believe it's v2.6a.

EDIT: v2.6 not 2.6a.

If you use NO$GBA v2.6a, the titlescreen graphics will show up properly.

Worked that way for me, at least.

The starters from other generations will be balanced as individual Pokemon rather than in comparison to Johto starters, since they don't involve choice (anymore) and don't have a major effect on gameplay like what starter you pick at the beginning.

However, Charizard has had major improvements to moves and its new typing, with Levitate, is a fantastic defensive typing for a fire Pokemon, so I find him fine as is, for the moment, at least.

Fire cancels the weakness to Ice, Dragon cancels weakness to Water, losing Flying means he's no longer Electric weak at all, and actually resists it, Ground immunity, 4x Grass resist, 4x Fire resist, his only weaknesses are Rock and Dragon.

He's been changed a bit so that his movepool gives him the ability to focus on special attacks more easily, if you so desire, while still providing physical attacks for a mixed set. For example, he is expected to get Draco Meteor and Heat Wave/ Fire Blast at a high level, but he also still has Flare Blitz (and it's level up instead of egg) and learns Outrage naturally. Charmander's first dragon move is the special Dragonbreath. He gets Earth Power as a viable Earthquake substitute via move tutor.

So while he might look mostly unchanged, I consider him to have been heavily buffed already, so I'm going to see how it plays out for Charizard. He was always a good Pokemon ingame, just delicate due to weaknesses and lacking in movepool like most fires. He might get slightly more attack.

I do agree that Blastoise needed a bit more to get along with more modern bulky waters though. I'm not sure yet if that will come in the form of more defenses, more moves (he has Iron Defense as a level up now instead of just tutor, which helps, and some others), or simply more threatening offensive stats that give him a better chance of killing things while his defenses hold. I think one of the main reasons Swampert is better is because he has an actually-threatening 110 base attack to work with. Blastoise is very very tanky already, but just, not very threatening with neither attack stat over 85.

I'm avoiding giving non-legendary and non-pseudolegendary Pokemon base stat totals above 550, which is close to Arcanine and above such powerful mons as Gyarados (540), Blissey (540), Infernape -and technically all other fire starters besides Blaziken- (534), Alakazam (490), Miltank (490), and am more focused (currently) on Pokemon like say.. Parasect (405) being functional.

Make the biggest losers functional first, then worry about the ones that were already okay and totally usable but slightly lacking compared to the most common competitive Pokemon of their archetype.

Though, all starters from every gen have had their movepools at least briefly picked over and been given new treats.

Here are a few of them:

New/changed moves have a dot next to them, in varying colors with my awesome paint skills. They're not super different, but they get some more coverage moves.

Sceptilemove.png

Grovyle evolves into Sceptile at 42 and gains the dragon subtype, and immediately gets Dragon Claw for STAB. Mega Drain replaced Absorb and Outrage was moved out of being a tutor move.

venusaurmove.png

Synthesis gets moved down for early healing ability, and he now gets constant Ground coverage, starting at Mud Slap, then Mud Bomb, then Earthquake, which, for some reason, isn't marked. He also gets Sludge for a poison STAB and Sludge Bomb later with no TM. One major goal for these is to require less TM babysitting.

Meganiummove.png?t=1290984126

Mega Drain over Razor Leaf, and Chikorita's line has increased Special Attack to make it the dominant attacking type. Ancientpower in the 20s helps Chikorita fight birds, bugs, and fire Pokemon. Counter is a great move for a bulky Pokemon like Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium (was an egg move before), Energy Ball over Petal Dance for consistent damage, SolarBeam comes earlier and Leaf Storm is in its old slot. Natural Earthquake allows you to save your TM if you want to wait until a high level for it.

typhlosionmove.png?t=1290984315

Fighting coverage has been worked into its moveset from the egg moves to help deal with Rock types and provide coverage. Mud Slap replaces Smokescreen to lower accuracy while also doing damage at the same time, and to prevent Cyndaquil from accuracy stalling Falkner (you'll have to catch another Pokemon to use that strat basically). Extrasensory has been moved in from egg moves near the end for more type variety and his omgsecretmove is Thunderpunch from the move rememberer instead of the useless Gyro Ball, saving you a ton of BP or whatnot if you so choose.

These are just some sneak peaks but rest assured that all starters are getting love, but it's more likely to be in the form of moves and abilities than raw stats except in the case of the two Johto starters not named Feraligatr, who were buffed just a bit to be as good as him.

Hmm, sounds good!

I like what you did with the movesets. Shouldn't Sceptile get a special Dragon-type move encase someone wants to turn it onto a special sweeper? Sceptile's attack isn't too bad, so I guess its fine but, just a thought. Maybe Dragon Pulse? (also a TM-saver)

I'm surprised I haven't mentioned it yet, but I agree with Paras/Parasect needing huge buff.

I actually played through a regular SoulSilver with a bug monotype, and I found Parasect pretty strong, but only against certain types. It has a 4x weakness to Flying and Fire, which makes it an easy target for Pokemon with coverage. Even Pokemon that it has an advantage against commonly have an attack to counter Parasect because of its typing. Ground and Fighting types have rock moves, which Parasect is weak to. Water types often have ice moves. Some have poison also. It's also weak to other bugs, and many other grass types have poison moves, itself included.

It's somewhat playable only because of an workable attack stat, X-Scissor as a strong SATB, and its (usually) helpful Dry Skin ability, but its wide selection of weaknesses, lack of good physical grass SATB (other than seed bomb via move tutor) and painfully slow speed leave it in constantly overlooked.

Maybe the Hoppip line should be looked over too? Other than Jumpluff's speed, they're all rather pitiful.

Hmm, sounds good!

I like what you did with the movesets. Shouldn't Sceptile get a special Dragon-type move encase someone wants to turn it onto a special sweeper? Sceptile's attack isn't too bad, so I guess its fine but, just a thought. Maybe Dragon Pulse? (also a TM-saver)

I'm surprised I haven't mentioned it yet, but I agree with Paras/Parasect needing huge buff.

I actually played through a regular SoulSilver with a bug monotype, and I found Parasect pretty strong, but only against certain types. It has a 4x weakness to Flying and Fire, which makes it an easy target for Pokemon with coverage. Even Pokemon that it has an advantage against commonly have an attack to counter Parasect because of its typing. Ground and Fighting types have rock moves, which Parasect is weak to. Water types often have ice moves. Some have poison also. It's also weak to other bugs, and many other grass types have poison moves, itself included.

It's somewhat playable only because of an workable attack stat, X-Scissor as a strong SATB, and its (usually) helpful Dry Skin ability, but its wide selection of weaknesses, lack of good physical grass SATB (other than seed bomb via move tutor) and painfully slow speed leave it in constantly overlooked.

Maybe the Hoppip line should be looked over too? Other than Jumpluff's speed, they're all rather pitiful.

Dragon Pulse does seem like a good idea to work in.. somewhere. Maybe before Grovyle evolves, so it's a non-STAB at that point and not too powerful to be that early.

I think I gave Jumpluff some more offense (more SpA than attack, but still more of each) and I think I replaced Splash with Absorb so he isn't just flailing around for several levels, although I'll have to look at him again later because that's basically all I did, and I do want to make sure he has some special Flying STAB (Air Cutter, Air Slash, at least something) without move tutor.

I think Parasect is going to get more sturdiness, since like you said, he *can* kill things, if he can attack, but usually they kill him back even harder. He'll still need to avoid flying and fire, but.. I can see him getting a bit more defenses, seed bomb will probably be in his base moveset (or heck, maybe wood hammer, that would be fun but risky, and he doesn't really sound like something that can power whip), and maybe he can have Poison Heal instead of Effect Spore. He's weak to poison, but then maybe sometimes if he gets poisoned, that can turn into a good thing. His typing encourages the AI to use poison-type moves on him after all. Though I'm not sure. I know some people like Dry Skin for Rain teams (though I'm not sure how Parasect does on a rain team) and technically Parasect being more sturdy will make Effect Spore better than it is currently. Synthesis (tutor) will probably be in his base moveset for recovery.

@suaqua, I did do the base powers to match Black and White, but now that you mention it, I don't think I did anything with PP of most moves.

I will probably equalize healing moves so we don't have Synthesis and friends with 5 and Recover with 10 in comparison. If anything, the weather-based moves are less reliable, so they shouldn't have less.

And the drain moves do need more, too. 5 PP just encourages people to replace with the much less interesting Energy Ball when they get it.

Anywho, I am off to college for the day, I won't be updating much for the next few weeks (if at all) because finals are coming up and stuff is well, pretty crazy.

I'll still be working on it slowwly as I get time to play though, and I'll, of course, read all the feedback when I get back here.

I saw the evolution changes but you should put it so that Kadabra evolved into Alakazam via Level up, while holding a Twistedspoon.:P Machoke should evolve into Machamp by Level Up, holding a Blackbelt... Well thats what I am planning on doing with my hack..... if you can make an overworld do a movement command, please let me know. My hack hasn't progressed in weeks because this new OW I added won't do her movement commands.X( Thanks again, I will look forward to the release of this hack.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few type changes that I think would increase the attraction to playing this mod,

Yanmega to bug/dragon

Glalie to Ice/steel (just look at the thing)

Staravia/staraptor to Fighting/flying

electivire to electric/fighting

magmortar to fire/psychic

noctowl to psychic/flying

sudowoodo to grass/rock (for that stab wood hammer)

luxio/luxray to electric/dark

aerodactyl to rock/dragon (with levitate as its ability)