Help Hex-editing moves in Pokemon D/P

Ok, so I'm having an issue. I would like to make Blast Burn a Physical Move, rather than a Special Move.

I know which offset it's at in the game, namely it starts at $1D6FC1C and it ends at $1D6FC2E. Now I have edited Blast Burn so far with the following traits using Attack Edit DS, which unfortunately cannot change a move's Special/Physical/Support trait.

Base Power: 90

Accuracy: 100

Always Attacks First

PP: 5-8

Type Fire

However when I reload the save, it still shows as Special, which has me baffled

I've have even edited the hex string pertaining to it using the attack data section of this guide from Pokecommunity

67 - Effect (Always Hits first)

00 - ??

01 - ?? (I'm wondering if this is the thing that is setting it to special, cause the value on mine is 01, and the one on Fire Punch for example is 00)

5A - Power (90)

0A - Type (Fire)

64 - Accuracy (100)

05 - PP (5)

00 - Chance of Effect (Should be 0 for attacks like this)

00 - Target (One Opponent)

00 - Move's Speed (For Quick Attack, and Extremespeed)

00 - ??

13 - Contact

11 - ?? (No clue what this is for)

01 - ?? (No clue what this is for either, either way I set it to this value)

00 - ??

00 - ??

Am I doing something wrong here, I've got a hunch it's that 01 thats listed as the third value on the Hex string above. I may try this.

• 3 months later...

I don't know about D/P, but I managed to change blast burn on HeartGold to physical by changing the third value to 00, as you suggested.

You may also have the wrong offset. The original hex for blast burn is 50 00 01 96 0a 5a 05 00 00 00 00 32 16 01 00 00. It may appear twice, but you should change the first one.

• 2 months later...