No Pictures here: Rate my First UU team

I was getting bored of the 5-6 OU teams I was using, and have no idea what is even being tested on Suspect, so I decided to venture into UU.

Pokemon are in bold and the original set follows. Any changes made by users will be shown in red font.

And I have as much knowledge of UU as I do Suspect, I imagine it could be improved by quite a bit:

Ambipom (M) @ Silk Scarf

Ability: Technician

EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Fake Out

- Knock Off

- Taunt

- U-turn

I couldn't really find a good suicide lead for Stealth Rocks, so I decided to use the standard Ambipom set.

I felt Focus Sash wasn't going to be too helpful in surviving much, and Silk Scarf powers up STAB Fake Out. I don't think Ambipom will be living through too much, so I opted for Knock Off to get rid of early game items. U-Turn to scout out if Ambipom gets the chance.

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Overgrow

EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Def

Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Substitute

- Leech Seed

- Wood Hammer

- Earthquake

Only reason I'm using this is because I'm familiar with the set and the overall strategy. Sometimes it performs well and sometimes it's dead weight. I think the key is to eliminate Scarf users and other fast Pokes before bringing it out.

I'm also thinking it really doesn't need BOTH of it's STAB moves. A Stone Edge would help greatly with coverage. Or I could ditch Leech Seed for Synthesis. How common is Sand Stream in UU? Is Sand Storm the move ever used, since only one Pokemon can summon Sand Stream?

That all being sand, he provides a handy rock resist. I'd also like to try to fit in a Rapid Spinner somewhere, but I have no experience with them in UU outside of Claydol, which I run on two of my sand storm teams.

Altaria (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd

Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Fire Blast

- Earthquake

I'm ready to ditch this thing. Give me something else that can be a set-up sweeper. I saw a Swords Dance Venasaur a while ago. And from how many people talk, Venasaur is THE Pokemon to use and the one you need to check for.

Feraligatr (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Def

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Aqua Jet

- Superpower

- Crunch

- Body Slam

My logic behind this was it's speed isn't all that great, but it's got decent bulk and a great move pool. I tried a Swords Dance set to abuse Aqua Jet, but I never really got it down so I can always get 1-2 SDs in.

This set has worked out pretty well, though I'm tempted to ditch Aqua Jet. Base 40 power doesn't cut it, even with STAB.

Body Slam has been handy for hax.

Clefable (M) @ Flame Orb

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP/58 Def/200 SDef

- Stealth Rock

- Trick

- Wish

- Reflect/Light Screen

What an amazing and ridiculous Pokemon. I like to set up Stealth Rock first so Clefable can be burned. This acts as a check on status. I then find someone with a beneficial item, though really anything will do.

I'm really not finding too many special attacks to soak up in UU, so I'm considering re-investing the EVs into physical defense.

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Marvel Scale

EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef

Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Toxic

- Surf

Really on the team to soak up hits. Isn't performing too well. Probably cause rest-talk isn't my style. Is Milotic useful in UU? How can I make it work?

Icy Wind was chosen over Ice Beam to lower speed of opponent's, but it's not at all useful. I'm sticking Toxic on there instead in the mean time until ya'll can help with the set.

What I like to do is Fake Out+Taunt with Ambipom. If it's still alive, Knock Off. And if it's still alive after that, U-Turn to Clefable so it gets burned right away and can set up Stealth Rock.

I think I can ditch Milotic for a Rapid Spinner, but what?

Also, I haven't encountered many Porygon-Z in UU. Is it something to watch out for? Maybe go with a DD-set for Feraligatr and Specs for Porygon-Z?

FAKE EDIT: Currently testing out Swords Dance Venusaur replacing Torterra, and Choice Band Hitmontop replacing Milotic.

Original thread from SPPF: link

I was getting bored of the 5-6 OU teams I was using, and have no idea what is even being tested on Suspect, so I decided to venture into UU.

Pokemon are in bold and the original set follows. Any changes made by users will be shown in red font.

And I have as much knowledge of UU as I do Suspect, I imagine it could be improved by quite a bit:

Ambipom (M) @ Silk Scarf

Ability: Technician

EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Fake Out

- Payback/Low Kick

- Taunt

- U-turn

Ambipom is an awesome lead. And, though you might not think it, early game, he can take quite a beating. You're right in not using focus sash, as there's not much that's going to OHKO on the first turn. I would recommend throwing on payback or pursuit over knock off as there are a lot of Frosslass, Mesperit and Alakazam leads. In saying that Registeel/ice/Rock seem to love switching in on him so you might wanna try low kick over knock off. I, however, generally run payback and it does the job just dandy

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Def

- Substitute

- Leech Seed

- Wood Hammer

- Earthquake

Never used him personally, but this set whoops me up .. a lot.

I'm also thinking it really doesn't need BOTH of it's STAB moves. A Stone Edge would help greatly with coverage. Or I could ditch Leech Seed for Synthesis. How common is Sand Stream in UU? Is Sand Storm the move ever used, since only one Pokemon can summon Sand Stream?

I've not personally seen anyone use sand storm ... at all in UU. And I've only seen one guy who runs a hippopatas lead for a sand storm team. So you could be safe in using swords dance

Altaria (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd

Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Fire Blast

- Earthquake

If you're looking to ditch this then I'd recommend going either the Ninetales/Mismagius/Raikou/Moltres route as your team is already heavily physically attack based, it would make sense to use a special mon it's place. Porygon Z can do this exceptionally well.

In fact I'd recommend him:

He runs a mean scarfed set, but if you want the set up, he can do that fantastically too :D

Porygonz @ Silk Scarf/Life Orb

Ability: Adaptability

EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Modest/Timid nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Agility/ Nasty Plot

- Tri Attack

- Hidden Power [Fight]/ Thunderbolt

- Dark Pulse/ Ice beam

Tri attack for stab which is strong as hell with adaptability (and stronger still with silk scarf). Last two attacking options are down to preference really, they both provide perfect coverage (atleast neutral on everyone) it's just dependant on who you need those super effectives for. What I tend to do with the nature and boost attack is run the opposite booster to nature (I.e Jolly +Nasty Plot) Though you can make him super strong or super fast, it's up to you and what you need.

If you wanna keep the fire attack from Altaria you could run Ninetales, who becomes a monster with only one nasty plot.

Ninetales (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef

Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Fire Blast

- Energy Ball

- Hypnosis

- Nasty Plot

Again, Perfect (if not close to) coverage, and a move to shut the foe down. Fastest sleeper in UU I think now .. now that Crobat's been shooed away .. I could be wrong though.

Feraligatr (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Def

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Aqua Jet/Waterfall

- Superpower

- Crunch

- Body Slam

Yeah if you're running a choice band set you may aswell be running it stroooong :P. Aqua jet really needs the swords dance set for it to be workable, though he'll come in handy for revenging the opponents ninetales and such.

Clefable (M) @ Flame Orb

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP/58 Def/200 SDef

- Stealth Rock

- Trick / Seismic Toss - I know you like the trick orb thing, but honestly you'll get taunted out I think

- Wish

- Reflect/Light Screen/Aromatherapy (or heal bell ... which ever one's legal with wish)

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with Clefable, but you might wanna run it with Aromatherapy, just for when Milotic has been killed by something and you lose your status absorber. And you'll regret ridding yourself of the SpDef when +2 Raikou starts shooting lightning at you :P. In saying that .. +1 Raikou's thunderbolt is going to always 2 hit KO you

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Marvel Scale

EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef

Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Toxic

- Surf

Really on the team to soak up hits. Isn't performing too well. Probably cause rest-talk isn't my style. Is Milotic useful in UU? How can I make it work?

You could lose toxic and replace with ice beam/ HP Electric to get some coverage for while you sleep. Similarly yo could replace it with hypnosis to shut someone down

What I like to do is Fake Out+Taunt with Ambipom. If it's still alive, Knock Off. And if it's still alive after that, U-Turn to Clefable so it gets burned right away and can set up Stealth Rock. Cool strategy - But you can get a couple unexpected KO's with payback/pursuit/lowkick and THEN U-turn :P

I think I can ditch Milotic for a Rapid Spinner, but what?

I will always swear by Hitmontop man

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 SDef

- Close Combat

- Rapid Spin

- Stone Edge

- Foresight

Expect spiritomb whenever you send him out, so foresight straight away and then kill it with super effecting close combat, do your spin and get out. :)

Also, I haven't encountered many Porygon-Z in UU. Is it something to watch out for? Maybe go with a DD-set for Feraligatr and Specs for Porygon-Z? He is in there a bit and is very troublesome at times.

There you go man :)

My turn :)

Ambipom:

Pretty standard set, I bet you can find quite a few uses for Knock off as he draws in steels to take his boosted attack. Regi would hate to lose his leftovers. Like Tbird mentioned before, Low kick and Payback can be suitable replacements as Technician is can boost them (If the opponent isn't too heavy, etc.) You could also try Life orb on Ambipom, but like always, the continuous switching and fake outs can drop his HP quickly.

Torterra / Venasaur:

With this setup, you might as well use Venasaur for its overall bulk and fewer weaknesses. It has access to sleep powder and can take water attacks with ease. I don't know about a SD Saur though. I would personally choose a bulky set just because I'm defensively oriented. Sleep powder Leech seed make great support options for any team. Powerful grass attacks can help with bulky water and ground types.

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers (<- Has been ripped from Smogon, *Para Fails*)

EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef

Bold nature (+Def, -Atk) <- I prefer the added bulk

- Sleep Powder

- Sludge Bomb

- Leech Seed

- Energy Ball / Power Whip

A standard set, but is is quite effective.

Boosting Sweeper 1:

I really think something like Poliwrath can really bulk up your team. With water absorb, it can freely switch into any water attack and then proceed to sub and bulk up. Although it may not be a powerful as other pokemon, his natural bulkiness will allow him to stick around for quite a while. Most bulky waters can't touch him after he subs. You could also run a Crocune clone. It's all up to preference.

Boosting Sweeper 2:

I would suggest Ninetails. The reason being that it completes the Fire / Water / Grass combination. Along with Venasaur and Poliwrath, She will have plenty of opportunities to switch in. With nasty plot and hypnosis, she immediately threatens the opposing team. Calm mind can be used as a replacement for NP if you want her to be bulky and dangerous, but normally NP is preferred. Flash Fire can also cut down on Venasaurs pyrophobia. :P Arcanine can be another replacement, but I believe that Ninetails would pose a more immediate threat.

The Pink Menace:

Obviously one of the most hated pokes in UU. :P Your set looks fine. I would recommend taking off trick though. Like T-Bird said, Clefable is often Taunted. Seismic toss would give you a steady offense. Encore is another option. The Ev's allow for Clefable to take plenty of special attacks although some more Def Ev's can also be useful though. I think that moving some can be beneficial, but not too many. NP Missy is sure to ruin your fun with HP Fighting. Now that Pory-Z is in UU, he might be even more threatening, and Clefable isn't going to be staying in on the likes of Drapion or something...

Edit: xD yours is bulkier than mine! I think you will be fine. Just watch out for fighting type attacks. Reflect can help if you are having some trouble taking them.

Spinner:

Claydol is a great option for your spinner. Electric and Ground immunity as well as a rock and psychic resistance can greatly benefit your team. He is immune to spikes, toxic spikes , and resists stealth rock. Venasaur and Poliwrath will cover most of his weaknesses. The problem he might have is with the ghosts who come in to block his spinning. Shadow ball is threatening, but Missy's Shadow Ball is really powerful. He can also set up SR (to open up a move slot for Clefable) or just explode when his job is done. It's really up to you.

It's really a nice team randomspot! Most of these suggestions are based on my style of play...so they might not be what you like. None the less, hope this helped! :)

And could you rate my rate? I've never done this before. I just want to make sure I touched all the bases.

Edited by ParaDoX65