It's been nearly half a decade - what is the status of the PCNY Gen 2 + 3 Distribution Rom?

As the title states, it's been over 4 years since Hard4games covered the PCNY Rom Distribution hardware / software - and outside of this post, it's been nothing but radio silence. That said, I have a couple questions:

1) Is Gridelin still actively working on circumventing the Altera chip on the writer? They haven't released a video on their YouTube channel in over a year (and it's been even longer since they covered anything related to the PCNY distro rom). 

2) If in fact efforts to crack the Altera chip problem have stopped, can we say that it's finally time to release the PCNY Distro Rom as open source for other bright minds to begin tinkering around with? With the release of incredible works of other recent distribution roms (IE Goppier and Undead Reality's work in gen 3), I'm confident that the community can release this content effectively and authentically. 

Ultimately, I've tried to remain optimistic that a breakthrough in releasing this content to the masses is underway (outside of sharing dumped gen 2 / 3 save files with the PCNY mons on them) - with one of Gridelin's YouTube video's here from over 2 years ago stating that "progress has been made" as being one of the anchors to that optimism. However, due to the complete lack of updates on this matter, I've started to believe that this project has been abandoned entirely.  

Edited by MewTrader

• MewTrader changed the title to It's been nearly half a decade - what is the status of the PCNY Gen 2 + 3 Distribution Rom?

Read this:

The only parts I want to add that wasn’t mentioned here is that someone leaked the ROMs online, but without the memory card dump as well as solving the NR reader issue, it will be unusable to those who download them. (Also remember piracy isn’t allowed here).

I’ve been seeing that people (those who do engage in the piracy on other platforms) would try to give it a crack, and would then proceed to give up on it. So far, it doesn’t appear emulators want to implement fixing the NR reader issue, as I’m told that seems to infringe on Nintendo copyright.

I can’t source the exact thread or post, but I vaguely remember reading that the original plan was to somehow have it physically accessible to the public, and that was negatively affected by the leak and thus put on hold.

At the very least, the stuff is all preserved safely. Not much more to say really.

And finally, remember that asking for ROMs are piracy and not allowed here.

With all due respect Slayer, nothing in my post is inquiring for a direct download of the PCNY Rom, or any Rom in particular - so piracy concerns are a moot point. The purpose of this post is to bring questions and concerns regarding an extremely well documented piece of event distribution history to light due to radio silence from the community in general on this particular topic.

That said, I do genuinely appreciate the details you've kindly shared with me in your post.