Legality and opinion of Japanese Pokemon with English nicknames

I'm wondering what the legality status and community opinion is of Japanese Pokemon with English nicknames.

Now I know that you can give your Pokemon an English nickname in any Japanese game, but the Latin alphabet font in the Japanese games is fullwidth instead of the standard width like in the English games. Example: D i t t o in Japanese, and Ditto in English.

The only way you can give a Japanese Pokemon an English nickname with standard width Latin characters is by renaming the Japanese Pokemon in an English Gen 4 game (DPPt/HGSS) with the same Trainer ID as the Japanese OT.

Does this make the Pokemon illegal/illegitimate and does Pokemon HOME or any of the Switch games care about this? What do you think? I want my Japanese Pokemon to have standard width English nicknames, but not at the expense of legality.

Edited by gamecubefan74

If you can do it through legitimate means (such as you laid out: nicknaming in an English Gen 4 game with the same OT), then it should be fine.

Just remember: you have to be able to give the OT in the English game the exact same name as the OT in the Japanese game (along with the same ID/SID of course). That requires being able to use the same letters, so you'd need to use letters that are common between the two language games I believe (I think the games treat D i t t o and Ditto as different, so maybe try symbols or something else?).