[Resolved] Modifying Hall of Fame entries

raytheon

Hello. As stated in the title, I'm trying to modify HoF entries. It's pretty straightforward until block checksum recalculation - I've followed the same path as with general/storage block, i.e calculating CRC16 CCITT for the whole block right until footer part, but it seems that this is not the correct way, as every time I load such modified save, when selecting HoF in PC, there's a message saying that HoF data has been corrupted and in order to fix it, I should enter Elite 4 (or something similar, doesnt matter). I've tried recalculating the checksum and comparing it with one in the footer and it differs. Additionaly, I've downloaded this tool to play around with it a little more and this one does the job - entry is modified as expected and game properly loads HoF. So such modification is possible, how the checksum for Hall of Fame Block in gen IV is calculated?

Edited by raytheon

Okay, got it! It seems that, unlike  with storage/general blocks, where checksum is being calculated for the whole block except the footer, for Hall of Fame block the checksum is being calculated right up until checksum field itself, meaning that it takes into account size of the block and every other footer field.

• raytheon changed the title to [Resolved] Modifying Hall of Fame entries