Save Files Corrupted After Importing New .SAV

bensanity87

I am attempting to add some items into my Emerald Crest run. To my knowledge, pkhex works on nups patched ROMs. But when I move my save into pkhex and try to add items, I receive an "Unknown Item Detected" even though I have no items at all in my bag or on my pokemon.

image.png.e27c840746055f9cfeb852c35ab48008.png

I hit "OK" on this error, and add 40 rare candies, then export the new .sav over the old .sav

And then when I try and load the file into mGBA, the save is corrupted.

1 hour ago, bensanity87 said:

To my knowledge, pkhex works on nups patched ROMs

Not intentionally. PKHeX only provides support to official games. If the save for the ROM hack happens to work, good for you. But don't treat it as the default position of the program.

1 hour ago, bensanity87 said:

I hit "OK" on this error, and add 40 rare candies, then export the new .sav over the old .sav

And then when I try and load the file into mGBA, the save is corrupted.

Based on what you've posted, it seems you're suggesting the issue is related to the prompt. At the current stage I don't think that is so.

Backstory: a lot of hack ROMs shift data around in the save, and depending on the severity of how and what is shifted, a save from a hacked ROM ranges from 'will load' to 'won't load' in PKHeX.

Attempt at explanation (referencing backstory): just because a save will load into PKHeX, doesn't mean an edited save would load back into your ROM hack.
It's possible that data was shifted to a degree that won't impact PKHeX operation, but when PKHeX attempts to save, it'll write 'the data correctly (as per unedited games)', which isn't what your ROM hack expects, so it loads up as corrupted.

Anyhow, do you mind checking something out? I am curious about one thing.
Load up an unedited ROM hack save into PKHeX, then click this, what does it say?
image.png

Also, maybe upload the save

7 hours ago, bensanity87 said:

Here is an unedited save "Verify Checksums"

Sector 5 @ 05000 invalid.
HoF first sector invalid.
HoF second sector invalid.

yeah sounds like the ROM hack plays around with the data and checksums in the HoF area.
When you export from PKHeX, it fixes all checksums. So that area gets 'fixed', which isn't what your ROM hack expects, thus it appears as corruption.

You could go with cheat codes for your device/emulator, if those work for this ROM hack.

• Like 1