PKHeX error message on otherwise perfectly fine Sapphire save?

hammy426

In the past, PKHeX has worked more than fine for me in terms of opening the Gen III files, but as of late hasn't been responding when I open them.

I have been getting the same message no matter which games files I try to open: "Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size. This could be caused by loading a different generation file on an unsupported generation or the file is corrupt."

I know my file isn't corrupted, and I know I'm opening in the right generation settings in PKHeX. Most queries I see about this error on the forum have been for more recent games, and I know the file works in-game and has in the past. I play the copy on a flashcart but have been transferring the save to my computer and opening it from there and the error occurs no matter which game save file I try to use. Is there something I'm missing?

Pokemon Sapphire.sav

Edited by hammy426

16 hours ago, SkyLink98 said:

Your save file has apparently 0x2000 additional bytes. Maybe your emulator or flashcard added a footer or something. Just crop the last 0x2000 bytes with any hex editor (I use HxD), and you can load it into PKHeX with no issues.

Pokemon Sapphire_cropped.sav 128 kB · 5 downloads

God, thank you so much! This really is Baby's First Hex Editing for me, so I really appreciate having someone who knows what they're doing explain it lol. Thanks!