This is a big day for the Pokemon Trade Project! THANK YOU to gokufan & the people behind The Pokemon Trash Byte Normalizer!

POKEMONMASTER260

Okay, so, as some might know, I once made a way to approximately convert Gen II variables to Gen IV variables called, "The Pokemon Trade Project."

There was a person named gokufan who looked at it & showed a way to make it better, making legitmaecy possible.

So, I combined that with the program, "The Pokemon Trash Byte Normalizer," to make it even more legit-seeming, & I can tell ya'll now that I have a perfectly legal result! Here's a Pokemon converted from Gen II to Gen IV:

jpdhte.png

So, yeah! Awesomness!

BTW, here's gokufan's Gen II to Gen IV conversion:

-------------------------------------------------------

"Hmmm I don't really like idea making pokes with 31 IVs in everything and 255EV in every stat, because they won't be legal. What if we could make them weaker but legal (legit?). In I and II gen there wasn't competitive battling....

IVs: We could do a simple maths: IV*2-1

Pokemon with 16 IVs in HP would have now 31IVs, 15 - 29, 3-5, 2-3, 1-1 etc.

EVs, pokemon could have 255 EVs in every stat, right? That makes total 1530EVs - we could simply divide it by 3, Pokemon would have now ~510EVs - if there is a digit after comma, then we could cut it.

Thanks to this Pokemon could have legal stats. If pokemon is not at level at 100, we can simply delete its EVs by berries and then train it for a better fighter...

Hmmm now, natures? There are 251 pokes in II gen.... the convertor could give them always the best nature to the Pokemon Specie (for example Gyarados would have always Adamant nature) thanks to this they wouldn't be totally lame

What do you think about it? I won't make this, cause i don't know how... maybe some programmer could do this....

EDIT Of course i'm talking about conversion from II gen to IVth... :P "

----------------------------------------------------

And here's the latest Pokemon Trade Project thread regarding my work on the net, which also includes attempted approximate TCG-Gen IV & PMD-Gen IV:

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=494209&st=0&p=8938571&

So, get your old pokes ready!

-PM260

Several questions...

Where can we get it?

How do we get Gen II pkm files?

Okay, to get the Pokemon Trash Byte Normalizer, (which is just for upping the legit-seeming factor,) go here:

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?3040-Trash-byte-normalizer-w-Platinum-Support!

Now, the rest of what all this is about isn't a program.

Basically, you know the hidden variables within each Pokemon? (Like IV's, EV's, etc.)

This is a way to approximately convert them allowing you to put them in when trying to recreate the old poke's in something like pokesav.

Just look through my first post here. It shows you gokufan's enhancement to my method & a link to my method.

Have a nice day ya'll,

PM260

Okay, to get the Pokemon Trash Byte Normalizer, (which is just for upping the legit-seeming factor,) go here:

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?3040-Trash-byte-normalizer-w-Platinum-Support!

Basically, you know the hidden variables within each Pokemon? (Like IV's, EV's, etc.)

This is a way to approximately convert them allowing you to put them in when trying to recreate the old poke's in something like pokesav.

Just look through my first post here. It shows you gokufan's enhancement to my method & a link to my method.

Have a nice day ya'll,

PM260

Untested by me, but I think a better Trahs Byte Nromalizer might be here: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?645-Legality-Checker-vB54-21

Have a nice day ya'll,

PM260

You didn't even answer my questions.

You cannot convert a Gen. II Pokémon to a Gen. IV Pokémon without having a file of said Gen. II Pokémon

All you can do is re-create the Pokémon in Pokésav. This was possible like ages ago when Pokésav was first made.

This isn't a "big day" for the Pokémon Trade Project, since all you are doing is re-creating it in Pokésav.

You cannot convert a Gen. II Pokémon to a Gen. IV Pokémon without having a file of said Gen. II Pokémon

All you can do is re-create the Pokémon in Pokésav. This was possible like ages ago when Pokésav was first made.

This isn't a "big day" for the Pokémon Trade Project, since all you are doing is re-creating it in Pokésav.

You could not do this the day Pokesav was created. This is because of the strcutures of the hidden variables that make up a Pokemon, which you would insert in Pokesav. They worked completely differently in the older days than in the present, which is the main reason Game Freak could not make Gen II & Gen III compatable.

The Pokemon Trade Project aims to find a way to convert the hidden varaibles, & than if you ahve Gen IV variables, all details set you can just og ahead & use Pokesav. But no, this is the first attmpet at real conversions.

UPDATE: Well, there was one thing I left out: Type. (Because Unknown GBA Type was not the case with my test subject, Zapdos, as that either means hatched or hacked.)

So, gokufan's method included changing the nature to the best nature for the Pokemon. (Instead of the original version of the method, produced by me, which just left it at the default Lonely nature.)

In Zapdos' case, that's Modest.

And the good news was, using the tool Pokesav opens when you press, "PID/IV," while editing a Pokemon, (you have to select, "Generate," after that to use exactly what I'm talking about,) I was lucky enough to find out that, on the usable list that came up, they had one type for Modest: Type 3. That turns it from, "Unknown GBA Type," to, "Uncommon GBA (A-B-C-E)."

Luckily, this just meant that it was found in the wild and has an uncommon, yet possible type in the GBA games.

This was good as I was using Kanto (FireRed) as the hometwon since my Crystal version Zapdos was traded via the Silver my friend gave me, (he allowed the trading,) and he said it originally came from one of his friends' Red, so...

...Anyways, yeah, it looks like you mght, at least most of the time, just be able to use Pokesav to fix the type.

On topic:

I think Pingouin7 makes an interesting point; if you really want this project to be viable, you should write a program to extract the Pokémon data from the Gen II games. If you're not a programmer, then commission someone (but not me)!

Off topic:

They worked completely differently in the older days than in the present, which is the main reason Game Freak could not make Gen II & Gen III compatable.

Not to nitpick, but that's arguable. The data transfer between games in the GBA was different than in previous consoles; in the old days, data went from one game to the next in one direction at a time. In the GBA, data was sent to and from both games simeltaneously. The transfer method was incompatible with the old games, so no "Time Machine" or similar functionality was provided.

Also, seeing as FireRed and LeafGreen were quite appealing to those who wished to collect the Kanto Pokémon, the lack of backwards compatibility could be attributed to a giant marketing ploy.

On topic:

I think Pingouin7 makes an interesting point; if you really want this project to be viable, you should write a program to extract the Pokémon data from the Gen II games. If you're not a programmer, then commission someone (but not me)!

Off topic:

Not to nitpick, but that's arguable. The data transfer between games in the GBA was different than in previous consoles; in the old days, data went from one game to the next in one direction at a time. In the GBA, data was sent to and from both games simeltaneously. The transfer method was incompatible with the old games, so no "Time Machine" or similar functionality was provided.

Also, seeing as FireRed and LeafGreen were quite appealing to those who wished to collect the Kanto Pokémon, the lack of backwards compatibility could be attributed to a giant marketing ploy.

To the first thing: The problem is, I don't know hoe to program in a way that would concern the pokemon games. Currently, the most I know is some ActionScript. However, I may be taking a programming course in the summer, so that might change.

To the 2nd thing: According to serebii, the link cable problem was an issue, but the one I mentioned was the main one. Also, it seems they attempted to make them compatable, so if they attempted, I don't see how this would be part of a marketing ploy...

Interesting. I never heard or saw that... do you have a link to the page with that info?

Here: http://www.serebii.net/games/trade.shtml

It says that the IV thing was a major problem & the link cable thing was minor. Also, it says Nintendo opted out, but that must mean they looked at it to make sure they could do it. As in, they found out they couldn't do it, so they opted out.

Edited by POKEMONMASTER260

Okay, this is getting ridiculous, someone's gotta put my research in a program. I would, except I still don't know how to program anything related with data from the Pokemon games. (If someone's willing to tell me, I'd be glad to know.) Of course, if someone's gonaa do it, it would be a HUGE favor to me if you not just did GSC but also Registered Pokemon from Stadium 2, as that's all that's left of my aciidentally overwritten Crystal file...

...And I was thinking, considering we have such close data now in the variabales, (which should be input in Pokesav as I have done & I suggest others do until a program, if ever, comes along for this,) maybe we could actually do some relevant hacks that we could only do with Gen II Pokemon in Gen IV. I don't know, experimenting on any difference, (even though the TP aims to approximately convert the mass difference of Gen II to make it the sam as Gen IV, I don't know, compare what we have with the norm caught Pokemon in Gen IV. Just because it could WORK, even legitly, in Gen IV doesn't mean most Pokemon in Gen IV have it!,) & what about something like a, "fight an old trainer as a CPU, new trainers!," kinda thing.

I don't know, but I recommend that when hacking Gen IV ROMs or saves, use your own legally bought, undistributed to anyone else, backed up ROM. That;s what I do.

Hope any of the above goes anywhere,

PM260

Well, I decided to go ahead & obatin a Cyndaquil from Proffessor Elm... in Crystal and SoulSilver.

Basically, this will compare two of the same Pokemon from the same in-game event from Gen II & Gen IV, with Gen II in a Gen IV environment, & see the difference and similarities. That might help us with stuff, I guess.

NOTES ABOUT THE CRYSTAL CYNDAQUIL:

1. As gokufan's enhancement to my method on nature indicates using the best nature for the Pokemon instead of always using the default Lonely, I picked a Timid nature. However, I could not find a type for it in Pokesav, so that might make it less legit.

2. Psypoke's GSC DV Calculator came up with a range for each and every DV. I decided to go with the second number in the range for each DV, since Psypokes actually said that male Pokemon would have a lesser DV than females, & I decided to focus on, "lesser," & plus it was a very weak Pokemon. However, I decided with the 2nd in each instead of the 1st because, with the 1st, gokufan;s enhancement to the TP on IV's would leave SA & SD with negative 1 both.

3. The OT is different than the OT I obatined it with in Crystal for kinda personal reasons.

4. Via past tests, without even using the Legality Checker for Cyndaquil, I'm pretty sure that the hex value combination will be invalid, but I did the best I could. Basically, when I was TP'ing a Pokemon probably caught in Red, I chose FireRed as the version it came from. I was able to get the Pal Park hexes right. However, when saying my Typhlosion caught in Crystal was from SoulSilver, there was something up with it, & it could very well be the hexes. (Note that it would have to be for a Pokemon caught in New Bark Town.) But, I did the best I could on that one. Because I'm going by, "If caught in Crystal, go with SoulSilver for where it was caught from, since it would probably either have to be HeartGold or SoulSilver & Silver's a closer color," Cyndaquil would be that case too, & thus, the hexes, (or maybe even something else,) will probably be wrong. I haven't made surte yet, BTW.

NOTES ABOUT SOULSILVER CYNDAQUIL:

1. On the approximately converted Cyndaquil, I just used my legally bought gamepak. However, with the Gen IV obtained Cyndaquil, I used a ROM. Except, I did not illegally download it, I used my legally bought, not distributed to anyone else, backed up copy of SoulSilver. And as I've said before, I suggest that be the way everyone goes with ROMs.

Anyways, hope ya'll have a good look,

PM260

NOTE: Caught in Crystal, have in SoulSilver Cyndaquil is a storage Pokemon. Caught in SoulSilver, have in SoulSilver Cyndaquil's a Party Pokemon. It doesn't matter in the TP, it just ended up that way for these Cyndaquils.

Cyndaquil converted from Gen II to Gen IV.pkm

Cyndaquil obtained in Gen IV.pkm

Cyndaquil converted from Gen II to Gen IV.pkm

Cyndaquil obtained in Gen IV.pkm

Edited by POKEMONMASTER260

NOTES ABOUT THE CRYSTAL CYNDAQUIL:

1. As gokufan's enhancement to my method on nature indicates using the best nature for the Pokemon instead of always using the default Lonely, I picked a Timid nature. However, I could not find a type for it in Pokesav, so that might make it less legit.

2. Psypoke's GSC DV Calculator came up with a range for each and every DV. I decided to go with the second number in the range for each DV, since Psypokes actually said that male Pokemon would have a lesser DV than females, & I decided to focus on, "lesser," & plus it was a very weak Pokemon. However, I decided with the 2nd in each instead of the 1st because, with the 1st, gokufan;s enhancement to the TP on IV's would leave SA & SD with - 1 both.

3. The OT is different than the OT I obatined it with in Crystal for kinda personal reasons.

4. Via past tests, without even using the Legality Checker for Cyndaquil, I'm pretty sure that the hex value combination will be invalid, but I did the best I could.

Just so no one gets confused, I have gotten better results for the Gen II to Gen IV approximate conversions. (The probems with this case being in the notes for the pokemon.) It's just there are sometimes certain Pokemon that... well, it's like they don't wanaa be converted as good as others...

Okay, this is getting ridiculous, someone's gotta put my research in a program. I would, except I still don't know how to program anything related with data from the Pokemon games. (If someone's willing to tell me, I'd be glad to know.)

Well, if you know C++, you could use Chase's code library. If you know VB.Net or C#, you could use my code library. If you don't know any programming, then you've got some work to do.

Well, if you know C++, you could use Chase's code library. If you know VB.Net or C#, you could use my code library. If you don't know any programming, then you've got some work to do.

As I've said, I'm mostly an ActionScript guy, & I'm DEFINETELY not the bets in the world.

The most I've done in the aforementioned is looked at a C++ book & small pamphlet for about a few minutes & used C# & VB .Net for about a few minutes.

Thanks for the info though! That helps me understand what I have to learn!

-PM260