Question re: PID mismatch flag

smoothpotato

I'm an event collector of sorts and I only use PkHEX to inspect things that I've received in trades.

I was traded a Shiny Shaymin from the Oak's Letter event from a Japanese contact I know. Basically, he said that he found the Oak's Letter in a used cart that he got and he SRed for the Shaymin himself. He traded it to me, and after inspection, it comes up as 'Invalid: Encounter Type PID mismatch' and 'Invalid: PID-Nature mismatch'.

Is this a guaranteed hack? I mentioned this to him and he was adamant that he really did SR for it himself but said that he obviously couldn't vouch for the item itself, which was just in a used cart. He says he genuinely doesn't know what the deal is, but offered me a tradeback if I want it. I told him to hold off for now while I investigate, basically.

My question is basically this: Is there any way that this flag can come up incorrectly? Also, can this flag come up if the Oak's Letter item was hacked in but the Shaymin was encountered and SRed for normally? Or is he just lying and it 100% means that the Shaymin was hacked?

I'd appreciate responses only from people who are quite sure of what they're talking about (not just 'shiny shaymin = hack'), since I know the guy fairly well, although I do acknowledge the possibility that he's just lying.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by smoothpotato

Thanks for your response. I know it seems ignorant, but he is someone I sort of know, and he's quite adamant that he did really SR it, so if there is a chance that it is legitimate I'd just like to know that. If there is literally pretty much 0 chance, I'll assume he's just lying and do the tradeback he offered, basically.

PID: 962CB07A

HP 28
Atk 18
Def 24
SpA 28
SpD 27
Spe 24 

(Bottle caps used on all)

Nature: Timid

Edited by smoothpotato

8 minutes ago, smoothpotato said:

Thanks for your response. I know it seems ignorant, but he is someone I sort of know, and he's quite adamant that he did really SR it, so if there is a chance that it is legitimate I'd just like to know that. If there is literally pretty much 0 chance, I'll assume he's just lying and do the tradeback he offered, basically.

PID: 962CB07A

HP 28
Atk 18
Def 24
SpA 28
SpD 27
Spe 24 

(Bottle caps used on all)

Nature: Timid

As you can see, the PID doesn't yield the same IVs.
image.png

(look at Method 1 entries)

For the record, did he RNG it on emulator or flash cart or retail cart?

9 minutes ago, smoothpotato said:

He claims that he soft resetted it on a retail cart (a used cart), not RNG.

Does that mean there's literally 0 chance that it's legitimate?

Based on everything you said, yup.

Doesn't matter if RNG'd or SR'd, the pseudo RNG process for Gen 3 and Gen 4 games, as well as the relationship between PID and IV, are well understood.

Even if we were to ignore Method 1, and include the other known Methods for GBA/NDS games, none of the IVs fit the bill. Sounds hacked to me. Maybe he used a Shiny code. or maybe he just plain up hacked it into the game. Who knows.

Alright, well thanks for your input. 

Sorry to ask this outside of a thread, but does DreamWorld Arceus also normally give the "Unable to match encounter from origin game" error? I know there are some events that PkHex doesn't fully comprehend. Is this normal?

14 minutes ago, smoothpotato said:

Alright, well thanks for your input. 

Sorry to ask this outside of a thread, but does DreamWorld Arceus also normally give the "Unable to match encounter from origin game" error? I know there are some events that PkHex doesn't fully comprehend. Is this normal?

It doesn't.
image.png

Maybe something is wrong with your Arceus?

11 hours ago, smoothpotato said:

Oh, it's not even for B2W2? Yikes. Thanks for your input then. 

Yeah, when the Arceus was distributed for Entree Forest, B2W2 didn't even exist for players.
(GF was probably already developing it, but that does not matter in this case)
And GF/TPCi never re-hosted the event when B2W2 got released.

So it's not for B2W2. As a matter of fact, Gen 5 doesn't have the PIDIV correlation, so if you change that Arceus to BW, it'll show up as legal on PKHeX.
But the fact of the matter is: it's obtained in B2W2, so hacked.

• Like 1