Question about some Gen 4 offsets

NekoSabrina

So I'm about to start messing around with some Gen 4 games I have, and I was wondering if anyone knew the offsets or whatever data aligned with the following things

Random Daily Great Marsh Pokémon (D/P and Platinum)

Daily Trophy Garden Pokémon (D/P and Platinum)

Safari Zone Item Level (HG/SS)
Daily Swarms (D/P, Plat, and HG/SS)

Basically, I want to try to speed up some of the annoyingly slow and/or tedious methods for catching Pokémon when I get that far in these games, but I didn't see that information readily available in PKHeX as-is.

For DP:

For Platinum:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be fully documented, but since the offsets are known, you might be able to figure out via either trial/error, or by checking the values from save files where the selected Pokémon are known. And the research doesn't seem to exist for HGSS yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so there at least seems to be a how to it, but not exactly the what (and PKHeX doesn't exactly allow one to hone in on particular flags or constants so precisely, so it'll definitely be a case of trial and error later).

In the meantime, figured I'd recycle the topic for my next question. Another thing I seem to have run into at the moment is trying to edit the Underground stats to make things happen.....and they aren't. Now, I found a helpful topic that at least pointed me to one of the sets of constants I'm looking for...except it's Platinum and I don't know if those constants would be the same for D/P. Pretty much just looking to find the constants and/or flags that would match up for number of Flags obtained and number of Players encountered that would trigger Underground Man and Mr.Goods' rewards and the encounter with Spiritomb

EDIT: And for the record, I don't have a Pearl or Plat save started, so I can't try linking with them to make a save comparison (and judging from an earlier experiment, trying to make the game link with a copy of itself is touchy at best).

EDIT 2: Throwing in a screenshot of where my Underground stats are currently set. Despite having the flags set where they are, I'm not getting any of the rewards from the Underground Man, and despite having the players met set to 32, no Spiritomb (and I edited that number after using the Odd Keystone).

611452090_PokemonDiamond__29358.png.d15377aef4b97aac271010abdaafd6b6.png

Edited by NekoSabrina

Okay, the above problem seems to be more of an issue of PKHeX functioning properly than anything else. If someone could test this, I think event constant 62 is the counter for Players Met that goes towards activating Spiritomb and 73 is what actually counts Players Met and contributes towards the Mr.Goods reward.

Going back to the original problem of the Daily Marsh Pokémon, I tried to compare a save file I had from yesterday to one I made today to try to compare them with PKHeX, but unfortunately it either doesn't seem to be a known value to the program or its current wonky Gen 4 data reading is getting in the way. If anyone who can really dig into a save file can try to find out the data, maybe it'll be a start to trying to figure out how to make use of it (the file with the date on it is the old file, the other is the current file as of my typing this).

What I can say for sure about what Pokémon are in the Marsh between the two files is that I can confirm Skorupi, Croagunk, and Carnivine are all available in today's file. I only saw Croagunk and Carnivine in the old file (and they might have been in different locations, not 100% sure).

Pokemon Diamond 121119.dsv Pokemon Diamond.dsv

34 minutes ago, NekoSabrina said:

If someone could test this, I think event constant 62 is the counter for Players Met that goes towards activating Spiritomb

Can confirm.

Okay, I've run across quite the interesting conundrum in doing some research on some things. Apparently there was an old save editor called DS Poke Edit that actually had the functionality to edit the Great Marsh, Trophy Garden, and Swarm Pokémon, but it is also a very unrefined program compared to PKHeX. That being said, I did find something weird.

pokeeditmarsh.png.aff96d2d4a917f99e3c0249d90556d77.png

Odd that there's six slots for editing the Great Marsh Pokémon given that, according to the save data structure, there's only supposed to be FOUR random Great Marsh Pokémon per day (unless those four are assigned randomly to areas and the two areas left over retain whatever they had the previous day...but even then there's still nothing in the known data structure about that). Is anyone able to shed some light on this little mystery? Also Toxicroak is unavailable until post-National Dex, so that value corresponds to a different Pokémon pre-National Dex (which one, I'm not sure since I haven't tested yet). Maybe if this all can be properly sorted out it can become a part of PKHeX

11 hours ago, NekoSabrina said:

Also Toxicroak is unavailable until post-National Dex, so that value corresponds to a different Pokémon pre-National Dex (which one, I'm not sure since I haven't tested yet)

Not necessarily, it could also be that the game simply never selects that value until you get the National Dex.

Actually, there is a difference between pre-National Dex and post for a select number of values.

In D/P and Platinum, the Great Marsh always pulls from a pool of 32 (valued 00-1F, of course), with some Pokémon having a greater chance than others to be pulled. The bulk of these values remain the same both before and after the National Dex, but some of them switch to different Pokémon. Here's the odds from D/P:

• 3/32 each for Golduck, Roselia, Staravia (always available)
  • 5/32 each for Skorupi, Croagunk, Carnivine (always available)
  • 2/32 each for Wooper and Azurill (pre-National Dex only)
  • 1/32 each for Marill, Quagsire, Bidoof, Bibarel (pre-National Dex only)
  • 1/32 each for Paras, Exeggcute, Kangaskhan, Yanma, Shroomish, Gulpin, Drapion, Toxicroak (after National Dex)

So basically when obtaining the National Dex, the 8 values pertaining to the pre-National Dex mons flips to the post-National Dex ones. Just not sure which values line up with which. Still, the biggest mystery I'm trying to figure out is that it's only supposed to be 4 values picked per day and yet there's spots for all 6 Great Marsh areas (with none actually shared like I originally thought). Still wonder how those other two slots are managed...

And just for the record, Platinum's Great Marsh loadout:

• 5/32 for Skorupi (always available)
  • 4/32 for Croagunk (always available)
  • 3/32 for Carnivine (always available)
  • 2/32 for Quagsire (always available)
  • 1/32 each for Tangela, Yanma, Tropius (always available)
  • 15/32 for Wooper (pre-National Dex only)
  • 2/32 each for Paras, Exeggcute, Kangaskhan, Shroomish, Gulpin, Kecleon, Drapion (after National Dex)
  • 1/32 for Toxicroak (after National Dex)

...well, Platinum at least made the guessing part easy.

Edited by NekoSabrina

The mystery of the Great Marsh deepens. I tried using that old editing tool to change the Great Marsh Pokémon in a copy of my save, then tried to use PKHeX to compare that with an unedited save and unfortunately PKHeX could not pick up any differences between the files (except, weirdly, for a flag that had become unchecked - 1023), so that rather definitively puts the Marsh as something outside of PKHeX's current programming. It also makes me trust this old program less that something gets unchecked when trying to make edits with it.

Here's hoping the Marsh, Trophy Garden, and especially the Swarms get added into PKHeX at a later date. Would be nice to be able to do something about a bad RNG draw for them and work through them faster

Well, I at least managed to dig up some data on the Pal Park in my Diamond run (something I wasn't even thinking about, but being able to do some stuff with that would be handy). Unfortunately it looks like the time limit blocking you from doing more than one transfer a day is either an event constant (read: currently broken and can't be edited in PKHeX) or some other factor entirely, though I did manage to trip some flags in the process as well.

Here's what I've got from preliminary testing:

• Event Constant 9 (not sure what this is, went from 0 to 1 during one test and 1 to 0 during another)
  • Event Constant 74 (also not sure what this is, started at 40 changed to 76 during one test and 77 on another)
  • Event Constant 224 (confirmed Pal Park High Score)
  • Event Flags 211 and 2507 (not sure what they do, but since it was my first time using the Pal Park at least one might be tutorial related)

I was kinda hoping I could find a way around that time limit, but no such luck with what's available to me currently (and I don't feel like messing with any clocks)

Edited by NekoSabrina
  • Like 1

Well, I did experiment a little earlier. This old program does definitely work in editing the daily Pokémon in the Great Marsh, but it is very rough to use so it would be nice if that functionality could get folded into PKHeX in the future (haven't tested Swarms or the Trophy Garden yet, but it seems to be capable of that too). For the sake of research, I'll toss in a couple of saves (one pre-edit, one afterwards).

Here's the specifics on what's in the Marsh in those saves (confirmed both by PokeEdit and actual in-game encounters)

• Area 1: Paras before edit, Shroomish after edit
  • Area 2: Roselia before edit, Exeggcute after edit
  • Area 3: Yanma (left unedited)
  • Area 4: Gulpin before edit, Kangaskhan after edit
  • Area 5: Skorupi before edit, Drapion after edit
  • Area 6: Carnivine (value changed after edit)

Unfortunately these changes are not detectable by PKHeX, so it'd take someone who really knows how to dive into the save data to make sure where those go

Pokemon Diamond Old.sav Pokemon Diamond.sav

• 5 months later...

Bringing this topic back from the dead with a little bit of research I've managed to do in the meantime. I've gotten nowhere so far in terms of Safari Zone editing, but I did find another useful event constant pertaining to the Underground.

Event Constant 71 is the number of Fossils you have dug up. It's not useful for a whole lot beyond getting the Red Crystal from Mr.Goods, but at least now there's something to tie that stat to when editing Underground info. If I can get melonDS to cooperate, maybe I can try to dig up some more of the Underground's secrets.