[Tutorial] [Platinum] Adding new overworlds with basic scripts to maps

This is a very basic tutorial on how to add a new overworld to any map and add a connecting script to it. This is being made upon a request from somebody but I'm hoping it might help anyone else who's not sure where to start.

Please note that I'm using PPRE for this tutorial. While I do appreciate that SDSME is generally more reliable, I can't seem to get it to work for Platinum. Every time I save an area's script, it just deletes the whole thing! PPRE is buggy but it's possible to get around the problems.

This tutorial is primarily focused on Platinum but the content here should apply to HG/SS as well, although SDSME might actually work for those.

Anyway, let's begin.

0. The Tools

To do this you'll need a few things...

* Your DS game and DeSmuME to run it on.
* Project Pokémon's ROM Editor aka PPRE. This tutorial uses the 0.14 version.
* The LUA51.dll file that allows your DeSmuME to use Lua scripts. A quick Google search should help you with this - it might be Lua51.dll or Lua5.1.dll - and the x86 DeSmuME and x64 DeSmuME will require different versions. You might need to try a few combinations to get it to work.
* The Lua script for showing the player's position in Platinum. The code can be found at this pastebin (with thanks to Kaphotics for the frame) or below. I've also included the HG/SS position script below.

Platinum
---
while true do
    gui.text(0,0, string.format("X: %d, Y: %d", memory.readword(0x021C5CCE,2), memory.readword(0x021C5CEE,2)))
    emu.frameadvance()
end

HG/SS
---
while true do
	gui.text(0,0, string.format("X: %d, Y: %d", memory.readword(0x021DA6DE,2), memory.readword(0x021DA6FE,2)))
	emu.frameadvance()
end

Simply make a new text file, paste this in and save it as <name-of-your-choice>.lua and you're good to go.

1. Find the location you want to edit.

In the Maps tab in PPRE, you'll be able to select from each of the maps in the game. They're generally listed as their location with a suffix depending on whether it's inside a house etctera. The easiest way to find a specific location is to check the Text tab for a map and see if you can find text strings that match what you see in that location in-game.

For example, we'll use this house in Floaroma Town as an example for this tutorial...

OuE6ENT.png

So to find this, first we'll speak to somebody on the map to see a text string...

06TwNRC.png

Then find the matching map in PPRE by looking at the text tab. text_0 here matches what this guy says, so this is the map we want.

1rbkShN.png

2. Add the overworld.

Now that we're on the map we want in PPRE, head over to the Events tab, and click on the Overworlds secondary tab below. We'll see two 'pages', each one representing one of the overworlds in the map.

vnZBDSE.png

Each overworld has a number of parameters, as you can see. You can ignore a lot of them, but:

* ID = the identifier for the overworld. This always matches its page number in PPRE. Used for scripts that add/remove overworlds dynamically, change their location and more.
* Sprite = The index for the sprite that the overworld takes on. This pg_0 refers to the woman (we can tell by the X/Y coords) so the sprite 16 is the generic woman sprite.
* Movement = The index for the movement type the overworld takes on. Admittedly I'm not that familiar with this one - you can leave it at 0 for any still overworlds though.
* Flag = The game has 'flags' that can be set via scripts. The number in this one represents a flag. If the respective flag is set, the overworld will _not_ appear.
* Script = The index for the script. In the scripts tab you'll see pages listed as scr_1, scr_2 etcetera. Generally the index will match the script number, e.g. on this example the woman uses scr_2. You may see excessively large numbers for some things like item Pokéballs and normal trainers - in this case the overworlds use something called a level script which isn't shown in the scripts tab.
* Number below script = The direction the overworld faces by default. 0 = looks up, 1 = looks down, 2 = looks left, 3 = looks right.
* Line of sight = This only applies to generic trainers who will spot you and have the ! above them. The number is how many squares away they can spot you from.
* Numbers two and one row above X-coordinate = Seems to control how far an NPC can move when they don't have a Movement index that keeps them still. I'm not sure on the details.
* X-coordinate = The X-coordinate on the map that this overworld starts at.
* Y-coordinate = The Y-coordinate on the map that this overworld starts at.
* Z-coordinate = The Z-coordinate on the map that this overworld starts at. I've yet to see this used, though.

On the top left of this sub-window, you'll see a little box that currently has a 2 in it. That determines how many overworlds are on the map. Just move it up to 3 to add a new pg_2!

Let's try to get a new overworld to show up here.

hw9cpb5.png

Of course, how do we know what co-ordinates these are? This is where the Lua script comes in. By activating this, the X/Y coordinate numbers where the player is standing will be drawn on the bottom screen. To activate it, in DeSmuME, go to Tools -> Lua Scripting -> New Lua Script Window. Hit Browse, select the saved .lua file that you should have done in the tools section above, and then the coordinates should pop up (assuming you've got the .dll file stuff working), e.g.

myJRVPA.png

In this case, the LUA script says this position is (x: 2, y: 3), so these are the parameters we'll use.

For the parameters we need to change...

ID = This overworld is pg_2, to set this to 2.
Sprite = Let's make this Gardenia. I can tell you that Gardenia's sprite index is 127, so let's set it to that. I don't have a complete list of Platinum overworlds but a lot are the same as HG/SS, which has a list that can be found here.
The number below Script = Let's set this to 1 so she looks down.
X-coordinate = 2
Y-coordinate = 3

So it should look like this.

nSlD6Mx.png

You then need to back out of the Maps screen and Write ROM on PPRE. Just input a name for your ROM, hit write, and that'll save a new ROM with the changes you've just made. Then enter the area we just edited, and...

V03EldU.png

There she is! However, she just doesn't respond to the player at all. That's where the script bit comes in.

3. Adding a script to your new overworld.

This time we want to look at the Script tab in PPRE.

Z8rkSrE.png

We can see there's tabs for scr_1 and scr_2 here. We can also see from the overworld tab that scr_1 links to the man and scr_2 to the woman, as their overworld entries have their script indices set to those scripts respectively.

scr_1 here is an example of a basic message script. Let's break it down...

Fanfare 1500 = The little sound that plays when you speak to an NPC.
Lockall = Locks all overworlds in place in the room. A standard when a script is active.
Faceplayer = Makes the overworld using the script face towards the player.
Message 0 = Displays a message with index 0. The index matches how it appears in the Text tab, i.e. Message 0 refers to text_0.
WaitButton = This holds the message in place on the screen after it finishes until the player presses a button.
CloseMsgOnKeyPress = This closes the message box when the player presses a button. In this case the same button will take the message off and close the box.
Releaseall = Allows all overworlds to walk again.
End = Signifies the end of a script. Doesn't strictly do anything but essential for the game to parse the scripts correctly.

Let's make Gardenia say something! We'll need to add a new script, so hit the Add Script button to produce a scr_3 tab.

In this case we can just copy and paste the entire script from scr_1 into scr_3. However, we'll want her to say something unique, so let's change the Message 0 to Message 2. You'll then have this:

5gk5xq9.png

Good. Next thing we'll need to actually have a msg_2! Go to the text tab in PPRE and simply add a new line to the text box.

0ks2YUC.png

You'll notice that there's a couple other characters involved in these text strings. They're just simple controls for how to format the text. Pokémon message boxes (at least in the DS games) show two lines at a time and can only show so many characters. The message DO NOT line break automatically - it's up to the programmer to split it correctly.

Adding \n will add a line break, so text goes down from the first line to the second line.
Adding \x25BD will add another line break that allows the text to go down from a second line to a third, or to a fourth etcetera. It allows the text to keep being fed through after a key press.
Adding \r will refresh the box and start from the top again.

You can look at the text in the game to see examples of how best to use these. In this case we're just going to have a \n so the message splits onto two lines.

Lastly, go to the Events tab again, the overworlds tab inside this, and to pg_2, where our Gardenia overworld sprite information is. As we've written script 3, change the line labelled script to 3.

QlXT575.png

And that's it! Write your ROM, re-enter the map and Gardenia should be talking to you.

f5ztwWA.png

That's basically the process of adding new stuff in a nutshell. Obviously the scripts can get a bit more complicated than that (branching statements, making trainer battles, adding movements, having them give you items but only once, setting variables based off your gender, or your picked starter, or...) but this stuff can all be figured out just by inspecting the other maps in the game and finding similar scripts to what you want to do. I may try to make this tutorial more inclusive in the future - this is just more to get people off the ground. That said, I'm happy to field questions about Gen 4 scripting as best as I can manage.

4. A Warning about PPRE

There's a big problem with PPRE 0.14 where it can corrupt scripts that have movements in them, e.g. when you talk to an NPC and they go ! or whatever, which will cause the game to freeze when it tries to do the movement. You won't have this issue in this tutorial but it's very likely to come up in any extended ROM hack. This bug occurs because PPRE 0.14 will save the script with the incorrect number of bytes. There's two ways to get around this:

1. Add in a new line to a script to bring the amount of bytes up to the correct total. My personal favourite is to just throw in:

Setvarhero 0

on any random line. This normally functions as a way to show the player's name in speech, but it doesn't really do anything otherwise. However, in hex this translates into 3 bytes. The issue with PPRE 0.14 is that it ends up saving the script with an odd number of bytes, so throwing this in will make it even again and it should work. You may need to take the extra line in and out as you build up your script though.

Also please note that the above is for Platinum. For HG/SS, PPRE uses a slightly different casing which you'll need to use instead (note the capital H)...

SetvarHero 0

2. Open the same map but with PPRE 0.12 and save it again. You'll maintain the exact script that you wrote but PPRE 0.12 will save the script correctly and then it'll run. You may have to continuously do this as you build up your script. I'd still recommend using PPRE 0.14 to write the script as the interface is much nicer and more commands have been 'un-hexified'. You can get PPRE 0.12 from the download link on Oxnite's post here: https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/7881-ppre-download-location/

Edited by Drayano
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

When I try to add a movement to a script, after I save the movement gets changed (eg I created mov_31--and mov_31 saves properly--but when I try to implement it into a script PPRE changes it to mov_8). I tried the Setvarhero 0 method you described but it didn't seem to work. I'm going to keep fiddling around but do you know if there's anything I can do to get around this?

EDIT: NEVERMIND i had desmume running a different rom than the one i was editing.

Edited by hooshizzoria
update. stupid realization