Pokegen Closing upon saving, not saving data?

SilentEevee

So, I've been having this problem for a while now, and from various searches online, I have either concluded that a) I am horrible at troubleshooting, b) I screwed up my pc somehow, or c) this problem isn't very common.

I use emulators to play some of the earlier pokemon games- anything before gen 6 I only play on Desmume or VBA, and sometimes I use pokegen whenever I want to train a pokemon, like riolu, which I either don't get in the game, or don't obtain until later on, or if I want to play fanmade games like pokemon Storm Silver. Now, whenever I load up a gen 4 game- be it the gen 2 remakes or the D/P/Pt, it loads up my save states perfectly fine, and I can edit as I please, but the second I hit save, it suddenly shuts down on its own, and doesn't save my data. For some reason, this doesn't happen on Gen 5 games.

I've tried redownloading pokegen, redownloading the roms, even repatching the gen 4 fangames, but nothing seems to work. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, can someone please offer some advice?