Bootleg cartridges .savs

Soniktts

Hey guys,

Basically my question is, can I extract (using an R4) a .sav from a Leaf Green bootleg copy to a retail copy?

Cutting a long story short, I unfortunately bought a bootleg version about two years ago online (have since become aware of the apparent number of Gen III fake cartridges). It sat there a while until my girlfriend wanted to try it out, not having played past Gen II. Instead of buying her a retail copy (which I do own incidentally, as well as Fire Red) I gave it to her to try out and see what she thought. She became addicted and has enjoyed the story line a lot. The problem is now that I fear it corrupting on her. I'd like to extract the .sav file and then dump it back on to a retail copy as I presume the structure is pretty much identical. She has a lot of good Pokémon on there that are sentimental (legendaries, non-public events I've traded to her) so it'd be a shame to lose them. I don't want to risk it without getting some information first.

I've heard of games corrupting when trying to extract the .sav, but I can't get much information. Has anyone else been in this situation? My guess is it's not possible due to some sort of security on the retail cartridge but then again Gen III files were notoriously weak.

Thank you, and good work with the 3DS so far.