Mystery Gift problem

MicroChip

(Moved from another thread due to it not really being related.) -Codr

I am having the same problem with HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Transfer Device: NDS Adaptor Plus v3.01

PokeGen Version: 3.0.5

When I put the event "062 Winter Celebi ENG-USA [PPorg].pcd" into Slot 1, save the file and then re-open it I get the following:

[before]

Description:

Find secrets from the past and future!

Transfer CELEBI to Pokémon Black

[After]

Description:

Find secrets from \8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8ut\8320\EDB8

If I put this event in Slot 2 or Slot 3 it does not happen. I tried other events in Slot 1 and the same thing happens, but again not in Slot 2 or Slot 3. Both these games also show a used Wonder Card ID of 2047 for which I don't have.

When I put the event "062 Winter Celebi ENG-USA [PPorg].pcd" into Slot 1, save the file and then re-open it I get the following:

[before]

Description:

Find secrets from the past and future!

[After]

Description:

Find secrets from \8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8\8320\EDB8ut\8320\EDB8

If I put this event in Slot 2 or Slot 3 it does not happen. I tried other events in Slot 1 and the same thing happens, but again not in Slot 2 or Slot 3.

I've confirmed this, but don't know the cause, and have yet to investigate.

Both these games also show a used Wonder Card ID of 2047 for which I don't have.

Can you upload your save file for this one?

HeartGold_0.sav - Save file before anything done to it.

HeartGold_1.sav - Added Celebi event to Slot 1 and saved.

HeartGold_2.sav - Added Celebi event to Slot 2 and saved.

HeartGold_3.sav - Loaded to game and retrieved event.

HeartGold_4.sav - Exported Celebi event to PCD and saved (no changes made in PokeGen).

I did a binary compare on the exported event PCD to the original event PCD and the only change was at address 0x0002 (byte changed from 0x00 to 0x01).

Reloaded HeartGold_3.sav to game and entered PokeMart...no event to pick up. Loaded HeartGold_4.sav and entered PokeMart...Celebi event waiting to be picked up again.

Hope this helps!

Additional Note: I should have mentioned earlier that I have been using the PokeWalker with these 2 games. When I open Diamond, Pearl and Platinum in PokeGen they do not have any used Wonder Card ID's in them.

HeartGold_1..sav

HeartGold_4..sav

HeartGold_3..sav

HeartGold_0..sav

HeartGold_2..sav

HeartGold_1..sav

HeartGold_4..sav

HeartGold_3..sav

HeartGold_0..sav

HeartGold_2..sav

Edited by MicroChip
Add Note

If only everyone provided this much information without having to be specifically asked. I haven't looked at anything yet. I'm still fixing the other problem that was pointed out before yours.

Edit: Ok, I found and fixed the weird card text problem. I still have to investigate the ID thing though.

A note on the text thing though. For Platinum, this was writing data to an area that I don't know the purpose of. There's no telling what this might've done. I suggest nobody save Platinum files until the next release.

For more detailed information, bytes 0xA7D0 through 0xA7DC, and 0xA7F0 through 0xA7FC were potentially being modified. This affects Platinum and HG/SS, but in the case of HG/SS, those addresses are Wonder Card description text, so it wasn't particularly problematic. As I already said, I have no idea what this area of the Platinum save file controls. In mine, it's surrounded by zeroed out data.

Edit 2: Regarding the ID... those are only written to the save file when you do it manually in PokeGen or when you receive a card from some other normal means. All of those show index 2047 set. It's possible that byte isn't used for IDs, but at this point in time, I have no (easy) way to find out.

Edit 3: I just checked some of my older and untouched (in regards to Mystery Gift editing) save files for Soul Silver. They also have 2047 set. I know I downloaded some cards from the Nintendo servers on those files, so I'm assuming either something had that ID, or that byte is set as a result of something related. Regardless, no HARM is being done at the moment. It's just annoying not knowing if that's supposed to be an ID or not.

Edit 4: Bond697/Mat and I did some digging around in the game code and it does seem that this byte is handled differently in some way, and that it isn't related to the IDs. I still have no clue what it's actually used for, but I'm fairly certain that it's not for IDs. With that in mind, I'll be removing it from the ID stuff in the next release. You can just ignore it for now.

Edited by Codr