Suggestion - PID finder not taking IVs into account

xyzman

I have 3.0.0b31. Sometimes I want to generate a pokemon of hatchable species, to avoid IVs being linked to PID (or B/W pokemon, where IVs and PID are not related as well). In this particular case, pokemon having IVs corresponding to PID would show that this pokemon is most likely has been obtained artificially (not to mention that all the high-IV pokemon out there will have limited set of PID values between them). Is there any chance that in future versions we'll be able to disable IV filter in PID calculator? As well as making the output in random order so different tries to get pokemon with specified Nature, HP and ability would yield different results? If everyone is generating a Skill Link Relaxed Cloyster for battling, it would be great that PIDs of these different Cloysters would also differ.

"If you leave this editbox empty? the generator will produce a random PID for you that matches all the criteria you specify."

Ok, when exactly does it ("produce a random PID") happen? If I press the "F" button, I get PID finder with either old search results or no results (if I just opened the program). When I press "Search" I get a match for IVs in the left part of PID finder.

Got it finally, though I see an issue with current behavior. Try to open a SAV file, then - to create a new pokemon without ever using "View Data" option. Fill everything except PID, "Set" it to an empty place, "View data" of another pokemon, then "View data" of pokemon with previously empty PID. It stays empty! So you need definitely to perform "empty PID?" check on "Set".

Another question though - why not to place a button next to PID box to force generating PID based on Nature, Gender and Ability only? Or, as I've said earlier, make IVs non-mandatory. Gen 5 makes PID finder a bit of useless with new way MTRNG is used, so you can at least salvage one of the most useful features of your program. Perhaps you can utilize formulas of RNG reporter to make sure PID matches date caught (as some shiny spreads can't be achieved at particular dates at all), but that would be too much to ask you for.

Got it finally, though I see an issue with current behavior. Try to open a SAV file, then - to create a new pokemon without ever using "View Data" option. Fill everything except PID, "Set" it to an empty place, "View data" of another pokemon, then "View data" of pokemon with previously empty PID. It stays empty!

That's exactly what it should do. There's no need to generate the PID until a code is generated for that Pokemon or the save file is saved.

Another question though - why not to place a button next to PID box to force generating PID based on Nature, Gender and Ability only? Or, as I've said earlier, make IVs non-mandatory.

...you've already been told that leaving the editbox blank does this for you, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting it again.

Perhaps you can utilize formulas of RNG reporter to make sure PID matches date caught (as some shiny spreads can't be achieved at particular dates at all), but that would be too much to ask you for.

I don't really care about this kind of thing anymore, however, I seem to recall looking into that particular "problem" before and determining that it WASN'T a problem. I don't remember the details though.

...you've already been told that leaving the editbox blank does this for you, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting it again.

What if I want just to generate a PID without any other secondary effects like saving any files etc? Imagine that you need to water your garden plants. What you are suggesting now is to set your garden fence on fire and call 911 so fire department guys would come and put out the fire, watering your garden in process.

I respect your opinion though as it's your program after all. I think I'll just use my old gen 3 "pokemon calculator" just to generate gen 4 PIDs. Or I'll write a Python script for that as it's like 20 minutes to do.

Feel free to close this thread if you feel that nothing productive would come from it.