using a hex editor to edit .sav files

PikachusCat

im trying to use a hex editor to edit my .sav file, but for some reason it cant make heads or tails of the .sav. usually theres some amount of usable amount of information, recognizable numbers, text, ect. are the .sav encrypted? i want to edit some in game things, anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Which hex editor are you using? I'd suggest using CrystalTile2 if you aren't already, although I'm not sure if CrystalTile is capable of adding in new hex values rather than just replacing. Out of interest, what aspects of the .sav file are you trying to edit? If you want to edit the Pokémon via hex without using a program like PokéSav or PokéGen, then I did recently put together an image that might help you - I literally just scanned the forum looking for someone who might be able to put it to use. It's essentially a .pkm file (136 byte) structure map that covers the basics. There's some data not filled in, like the parts of the hex that have to be translated to binary before you even wanna think about editing them, but I should be able to include information on that soon.

Edit: Just thought I should let you know that I made this mainly for my own use, so feel free to ask if there's anything I haven't made clear on the image.

11ihaq0.png