I'm having some trouble with GBA Save editing

Well..I'm having some issues with editing GBA Pokemon save files. I download VBA for my computer, and started playing Pokemon Crystal, and Emerald. (I wanted to catch a Celebi in Crystal, and the Faraway Island Mew firsthand.) And instead of playing through all or most of the story to get to where those events are possible, I downloaded a save file. There's just one problem; I can't edit the save file, nor can I activate ANY cheats using Codebreaker, Gameshark, or the "Code" option in VBA. I downloaded a piece of software which I think should work..it's called GBA PokeSav. (I'll share the link.) And I'm a hacker for Generation 4 and 5...so I'm kinda familiar with hacking and making Pokemon; but now I'm totally lost as to what to do. Can someone help me? Basically I'm looking for one thing...the proper way, like instructions, on how to make codes for Pokemon and other things, such as name editing and Box editing, using the software. (Or another piece of software if mine is really bad/suckish..but the one I have is the only one I could find...)

I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong spot or if my question has already been touched on. Thanks!

Here's the link for the software I downloaded, GBA PokeSav:

http://www.mediafire.com/?u9zawt7ufd7e2d4