Begginer Competitive questions

Hello Project Pokemon Community.

With the newest games released, I have decided to move into the competitive scene. I have a few questions that I cannot find answers for through search and would just like a little explanation.

1)Does competitive play actually happen in the true games.:

This is a simple one but i was wondering because some people say that people stick to the actual game, while others say everyone has moved to the simulators like pokemon online. I was wondering if people still play on system.

2)How do most set up their teams (true breeding, cloning, pokesav)

How are people making teams in the new black and white? Everyone on youtube like pokemoshpit seem to have very dyanimc teams. Are they actually training the pokemon or can you use a program to create them. I was wondering what the official rules and community thought about this.

3) Hardware/software recommendations: Every site seems to send me in a different direction as far as what additional hardware and software i need to be competitive. Should I be using an Action Replay? Or using a .pkm directory to add them to the game.

Generally I just want a step by step on how someone goes from "I want to try this kind of team/lineup", to actually having them and battling online. Thanks for helping a new person into the meta.

okay. umm

1) me and my friends played agaisnt each other legitly until i got an AR and cheated Ev stats and getting pokemon and easyly teaching them moves. by stats i mean doing the EV training with a press of a button. I have brought it to school and now there are poke groups at my high school ranging from the football players to the math club ect. MOST people i know are legitly breeding thier poke but i have started to cheat them in the wild and changing natures to help make things move faster.

2) like i said i use an AR to make things quick. i dont over stat them just to make sure the game is even

3) umm an AR is advised. there are plenty of posts on this site for help with codes and such. u can refer to me for help

* When i make a team i think about it and i write them down. then i go to Serebii.net to look at their moves base stats ect ect. i used to go to smogon but they dont have 5th Gen up yet.

for 4th and so on i use smogon to help me build move sets

for the 5th teams i think up of, i try to think of a pokemon rarely used, (when we battle it is mix of OU UU ect.) then find out how to play them.

for my raindance dual team i lead with accelgor

hydration- toxic- protect- rain dance- rest

i try to make up a team that doesnt revovle around swords dance all the time.

like a secrene grace with air slash kings rock.

i use the AR to make the team quick and test battle them

hope this helped idk haha

Ok I'll give this a quick answer... well try to.

1] People do play competitively over Wi-Fi, however the Wi-Fi environment is very different to the simulator based environment. The Key difference is the duration of the game. That being said, when you are playing Wi-Fi if you are impatient or do not want to be spending an hour in a battle, you can basically only play Offence, where as in a simulator Matches are played much more quickly due to limited visuals; thus stall is a very viable game plan. I suggest you go to Smogon to look up the different play styles. If you are going to play over wifi instead of on a simulator, I suggest you still download a simulator for team testing purposes. I.E Before you make your team in on your game (which can be an arduous task) make it first on the simulator and test it's viability. If it doesn't work, you've saved yourself a lot of time.

2] People make their teams using every method you can think of. Some will take the time to catch every pokemon in their team with Perfect IVs through RNG abuse (search that here or on google to find out more) and EV train their pokemon by hand, others will use an AR to generate their pokemon, and others use PokeSav/Pokegen. Know that hacking pokemon into your game for Nintendo based Tournaments will get you disqualified from the tournament. I won't go into the ins and outs of all that, that's for a different topic. As for the "general consensus" A lot of people do frown on those that hack pokemon into their game.

3] For hardware you can use an Action replay. For Software you can download PokeGen (follow the link in sig for that). Also Download Pokémon Online. That's the battle simulator. You can find that by Googling "Pokémon Online Simulator."

The best thing you can do is familiarise yourself with everything related to every pokémon. It sounds like it'd be a task, but it will definitely help you. I don't mean learn what level X pokémon learns Y attack, or the pokedex number of Pokémon X, But rather learn what moves are physical, what moves are special, understand the impact DVs and just basically learn everything that a pokemon can do with its given attributes. I recommend learning the mechanics of the game by searching through serebii, and for the actual pokemon I recommend looking through the Smogon Strategy dex... and learn about EVERY pokemon there (for 5th gen pokemon, go into the smogon forum and look for "5th Gen Analyses"). That way you'll never be surprised. There are also some fantastic articles on smogon that will help you learn about all the various aspects of the metagame, so give all of those a read, too. All the while gain experience by actually battling through the simulator; theory is nothing if you don't know anything about the practical side.

I guess that's about it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or reply to this topic and we'll see if we can't help you out some more. :)