So I have a Pokemon game and a DS, and Pokesav on my laptop. Now what?

Rufio

I have a retail Pokemon Platinum game, a DS lite, and I've downloaded the Pokesav program. So what else do I need to purchase?

I want to be able to edit my pokemon, but I need a rundown of a) what other tools I'll need to buy and b) a general overview of the steps involved.

For instance, I need to transfer my retail game to a flashcart? How do I do that? And will I then be able to transfer the game back onto my retail cart, or will I be playing it on the flashcart forever?

Really, I'm hopelessly out of my league here. ;;;;8D

Help? o___o

I haven't even started playing the game yet, actually, so no worries there.

And the hell if I know why I'd have to transfer it to the flash cart. That was all I was able to surmise from reading through general instructions, since it would appear that I can't just stick the retail game into my laptop and edit it from there. Yeah, I got lost somewhere around the getting this game that I have to a place where it can be edited and back again. Are the flash carts just for pirated games, then? *HAS NO IDEA* 8D

I just wanna get all the fancy pokemon I want in the most illegitimate way possible. xD But apparently, cheating is still a lot of work. Bummer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, actually you don't have to start all over again with a Flash Cart. NDS Backup Tool Wifi has both a nds file, (the game,) computer backup feature & a sav file, (the save file,) computer backup feature. 'Course, in Platinum the sav backup doesn't backup what's on the Vs. Recorder, (there might be a fix by now, haven't checked,) & in HeartGold & SoulSilver, (for the sav backup,) you need to either use an EMS NDS Backup Adapter Plus instead, (which is a product actually meant for DS computer backups, despite a Flash Cart being meant for DS homebrew, of which NDS Backup Tool Wifi is one of,) or due the risky business of soldering HGSS first... To solder correctly in this situation, there's some guide on it somewhere...