Is there a legality checker for HG/SS?

ASoFD

So? If you enter the correct hex values as per the article here and make a legal pokemon then there is'nt much need for a legality checker.
Legality checkers can also be used to check PIDs. There have been a number of times when I've hacked a pokemon with what I thought was a valid PID, only to find out that it failed the test. I won't be entering any tournaments or anything, but I still want my pokemon to be considered valid.

Legality checkers can also be used to check PIDs. There have been a number of times when I've hacked a pokemon with what I thought was a valid PID, only to find out that it failed the test. I won't be entering any tournaments or anything, but I still want my pokemon to be considered valid.

Yes, that is true, however I always have my PIDs as type 1 so I know they will be legal.

I made a perfectly legit dragonite and the type was an unknown or hacked pokemon.....

Was the PID/IV type 1? Was the EV's correct(510 in total, max 255 per stat), was the contest stats correct, was the hometown correct, was the met in place correct, was the hex values correct, etc. Unless we know about your Dragonite it is impossible to determine whether it was generated perfectly.