Safely and efficiently exporting a save file from retail SS

Equivalent

Good day everyone,

I have read projectpokemon's faqs in their entirety as well as a number of sticky threads in these forums. I still seek confirmation and clarification on how to do what I want to do, so I will now describe my situation and goals.

I have (may not all be relevant to what I want to do):

-A DS Lite

-Pokemon Soul Silver retail

-A laptop running Windows XP with usb ports and an SD card reader

-A microSD adapter

I want to:

-Export the .sav file from my retail copy of SS onto my computer

-Edit the .sav file using Pokesav

-Import the .sav file from my computer onto my retail copy of SS

My questions are:

-What are my options in achieving this goal?

-What does each option require specifically in terms of hardware and software (name the brand if you know it)?

-What are the risks, advantages, and disadvantages of my available options?

-What will it cost me?

-In your experience, which option is the best solution?

Sample answer (this is just an example, some facts may not be right):

-An NDS backup adapter can be used to achieve your goal.

-This option requires one NDS backup adapter, your DS and game, and your laptop.

-Risks include possibly data corruption, advantages include ease of transfer, disadvantages include cost.

-The adapter is listed at 33 dollars on ebay.

-The NDS is the only adapter that works with Soul Silver and is therefore the best option for what you want to do.

Please provide as detailed information as you can (preferably answering the questions in the order I am asking them). Whether your information answers one or all of my questions, any and all help is appreciated.

I've been accused of being verbose but this is borderline ridiculous even for me. No offense meant, just lighten up a bit!

If you're comfortable with soldering you can try this for only the cost of soldering supplies. If not or if repeated soldering and desoldering just doesn't too practical to you, then your only option for the time being is to buy an NDS Adapter Plus. It's not looking likely but there's always the chance that a new homebrew app will come out that'd allow you to just use a flashcard as you can with most other games.

I thought flashcarts were for non-retail games?

P.S. I don't think verbose is quite the word. I was trying to be specific because other questions and answers I've read here have left me confused.

Homebrew app.

Well, people generally get a flashcard so that they can tote all their ROMs around in one easy package, so you're sorta right. However there are a few apps that will let flashcard owners backup and restore save files to retail games. Trouble is none of them work with infrared cards, but I was just leaving open the possibility that one will in the future.

• 2 weeks later...